Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Cat Belle! Welcome to the nest!! We've done nothing but improve with age around here. We have lots of positive momentum going at the moment...we've got folks hitting triple digits in AF days...and single digits is where we all started. Settle in and read about us. I'd suggest going back a month or so...get to know your nestmates...and then tell us what brought you back. We are great listeners...we are all we have! Pull up a twig next to me, and stay a while.
    What a coincidence!! MY quit started on a Thursday!!! It's a great day to start!
    Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!

Irie – The more days I rack up the better I feel and it would be worse for me if I cave now.

Daisy45 – Like your comment to Irie about what do we fear?

I don’t know who wrote previously that we stop developing emotionally when we start with our addiction of numbing out the pain. I am making great progress with my dogs these days, but the one neighbor made a huge fuss about their barking over our community- two-way-security-radio-system… as if you never hear his dogs…I didn’t hear it and was informed later by other neighbors about his comments. So, I ran into him the other day. He was kind of, almost touching the subject. I could feel my blood start boiling gave him a piece of my mind and said I can’t handle this and walked off. Could be a “normal” situation, but this is the second time since my quit that I say out loud, without thinking, that I cannot handle something and then basically remove myself from the situation asap! Both situations I could have laughed off…
      It just stands out in my mind and I definitely see it as something that I need to work on.

Lolab – Great that you have friends that isn’t alkies! I would go with 2 pitchers like you said. I gave my house a mini make over. Mostly clearing clutter and a few new and bright decors to remind me of my new way of living.

WineWrangler – Enjoy your weekend!

Cat belle – I joined MWO on a Thursday and quit the Friday, just because people responded and I didn’t feel alone!! 6 months! Wow! You can do it again!

Oh, and PineCone - I hope you enjoy your other course!
      12-20-2012 AF
      Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

mylife;1243331 wrote: Thanks for that Byrdie - I get more nuggets of wisdom like yours above every time I come here and read. :thanks:
        My thanks, too. That helped put things in perspective.
        ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
        -----------------------------------
        Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey Jane - just heading out the door finally...are you doing ok?
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane - :goodjob: You will be so glad you rode that craving out!
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Jane! Welcome to the Nest! I tell you girl, the first 3 days are the hardest, so I'd say you are well on your way...all the AL (alcohol) is now out of your system and you are operating on full JanePower! Your goal of 7 days is a good one, you get a big horn toot for that...and on 30 days, you get a hat!
              Notice that each post has a number up in the right corner, we are on 17 thousand something now...may I guide you back to my post #12,852. I refer to this as my 'I have a Plan' Speech. You may already have yours, but this was mine. You might also like post 12,878. Lifetake2 had a spectacular post on #12,941. While you're at it, don't miss Lolab's #14,464. This was her post at 36 days sober. Read all you can...and when you can get your arms around it, tell us what brought you by...pull up a twig...there's probably no story you can tell us, that we can't relate to. We're glad you're here. Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Jane, I'm glad you are doing better! Distraction, snacking and urge surfing are great techniques to get you through a rough spot.

Also welcome to Winewrangler and CatBelle!

Steadyhands, yes thank you, I am getting alot out of the course. Your neighbor sounds like a person with too much time on his hands to worry about barking dogs...Maybe he needs a hobby. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I have never been able to hide my contempt for petty people. We don't have to be saints because we quit drinking...On the other hand, it is interesting to find areas we can improve on ourselves, part of the adventure we're on.

I hope everyone has a peaceful AF night!
                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening nesters!
                  Just taking a minute from my company here to check in.
                  Hello & welcome Wine Wrangler, Cat Belle & Jane. Glad you are all here, safe & sound!

Congrats to everyone in the nest making progress. The effort is worth it, trust me!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi

Hi All! My name is Tobi and I am a little confused how to use this site. Where do I start? lol I am coming up on 30 days AF and I would love to join in this community.

Steady Hands;1243416 wrote: Hi Nesters!

Irie ? The more days I rack up the better I feel and it would be worse for me if I cave now.

Daisy45 ? Like your comment to Irie about what do we fear?

I don?t know who wrote previously that we stop developing emotionally when we start with our addiction of numbing out the pain. I am making great progress with my dogs these days, but the one neighbor made a huge fuss about their barking over our community- two-way-security-radio-system? as if you never hear his dogs?I didn?t hear it and was informed later by other neighbors about his comments. So, I ran into him the other day. He was kind of, almost touching the subject. I could feel my blood start boiling gave him a piece of my mind and said I can?t handle this and walked off. Could be a ?normal? situation, but this is the second time since my quit that I say out loud, without thinking, that I cannot handle something and then basically remove myself from the situation asap! Both situations I could have laughed off?
                    It just stands out in my mind and I definitely see it as something that I need to work on.

Lolab ? Great that you have friends that isn?t alkies! I would go with 2 pitchers like you said. I gave my house a mini make over. Mostly clearing clutter and a few new and bright decors to remind me of my new way of living.

WineWrangler ? Enjoy your weekend!

Cat belle ? I joined MWO on a Thursday and quit the Friday, just because people responded and I didn?t feel alone!! 6 months! Wow! You can do it again!

Oh, and PineCone - I hope you enjoy your other course!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I've read newbies nest is the place to go but I see 2009 as the post...can't be right I'm sure. I must be doing something wrong.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters!

Welcome Cat Belle, Jane and Tobi! This site is really really amazing with so many loving people, support, encouragement and inspiration. Whether you are on day 1 or year 1, you can definitely snuggle right into the nest.

Cat Belle and Jane- like Byrdie says- the first 3 days are the hardest. If you feel a craving coming on log on and post, snack on some delicious food or do whatever you have to do to ride it out.

Tobi- Congrats on almost 30 days! That's amazing! You can read whatever thread you like (for example, the newbies nest, the newbies support thread, general discussion) and then post your comments, questions or whatever you are feeling. Read as much as you can because people on here are very wise and offer great advice.

SH- It's fine if you can't handle something. In fact, I think you handled that situation almost perfectly. It could have turned ugly if you didn't walk away. I once saw on Oprah that if you can't handle something or you don't like something, don't spend your energy trying to please that person. Rather say "This (that) doesn't work for me" and explain why. And I mean, jeez, they're dogs...they are supposed to bark! Good luck with your neighbour.

I have a situation that I am very angry about but am pretty sure I can handle al free. My husband's friend's uncle knows this doctor in Beijing with an 11 year old daughter. I guess the friend, uncle and doctor negotiated some kind of deal that the daughter can stay at our house next week. We were not asked, but rather informed. The reason she will stay with us is so that I can speak english to her to help her improve her english. Why am I angry? 1) we were not asked 2) I am very busy next week as Friday we will go to my husband's town to visit his family for Chinese New Year so there is lots to do (shopping, etc) 3) I am super busy with work next week as well and I like to come home and relax with a good book or log on here, not talk to or entertain little ones 4) I have never met this doctor or his daughter before 5) I DONT LIKE BEING USED! That situation does not work for me!!! Had they asked, I would have said no immediately. Grrrrr. The only good thing about it is being able to handle it sober.

Well I'm off to work! Have a great day nesters!
                        "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
                        Goal 1- 3 days al free
                        Goal 2- 7 days al free
                        Goal 3- 1 month al free
                        Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning nesters!
                          Day 5 could it be???? Yesireee bob sure is day 5!
                          Canadian gal, I've got 4 words for that doctor, "hell to the NO!"
                          Worked out a negotiation? Not with you! I hope you are getting paid! Jeez
                          Have a great day everyone!
                          Day 1 again 11/5/19
                          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

Just a quick check in for me today. My dad died yesterday afternoon, and I actually witnessed his last breath. I have to tell you, that's a very strange experience, but one I'm glad I was privileged to have. He seemed comfortable and it really was better that he passed - he was 90.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your support and comfort - it meant a lot to me.

Tomorrow marks my 60th day sober, and the handling of my first big life issue without the crutch of alcohol. I'm finally understanding on a deep level that there is absolutely nothing that alcohol makes better - the price is always much greater than the perceived good we get from drinking.

:l:l:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

So proud for you, UW. For the rest of your life you will carry the memories of how you were there for your dad in his very last moments, and that you were fully present - not muddled by alcohol. I'm sorry you've lost your dad, though. That's not easy under any circumstances.
                              ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                              -----------------------------------
                              Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Unwasted - I'm sorry also, but I totally agree with Irie....you will never have any regrets about being there with your dad and being sober. Hugs to you....
                                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X