Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Willow1 and a big :welcome:

You are certainly in the right place. We've got all sorts here, but many of us could jump right into your situation right now - been there and done that. Please do lots of reading around here and in other threads and you'll see lots of ideas for getting a tool box together. Some of the more experience folks here can put up some links for you. As soon as you get some alcohol free (AF) days under your belt you'll feel so much better, and you'll start to feel better too.

Is there someone who can share this journey with you? Can you confide in your husband? Would he support you? Can you go to your doctor? Would he help you with some craving medication like Campral or Topamax? I am taking Topamax and it works very well. Others will jump in here and offer you lots of support so check back often. :h:h:h
    Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
    (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am new too. :new: Am I posting correctly? I am so happy to join this community I have been reading here since November Read the mwo book last feb and feel like you all are family! I am ready to commit to an AF life! Mini goal one is seven days AF. Sorry for any typos. On phone . Thanks in advance for your support
      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish and Willow, YES you are posting correctly! Welcome! Lav is our nest mother, she will be along shortly to get you the nuts and bolts of where and how to navigate here. I have been here a while myself (1 year tomorrow) and am working on my acceptance speech! For whatever reason you landed here, we all have one thing in common...AL is/was taking over our lives/souls/thoughts. I know you are afraid of the thought of living one night with AL...let alone the rest of your lives...but around here, we take life as it comes...and that's minute by minute. Get your plan in place and by that we mean, get your story together as to what you are going to tell others when you uncharacteristically decline booze. Get all the AL out of your house. Surround yourself with food and snacks that you absolutely love, you are going to need their comfort. If you can figure out how to find the posts by numbers, check out my "I have a Plan" post #12,852 the post numbers are in the upper right corner. Read all over the place on this site. Settle on in...you are in very good company. There's not a story you could tell us that we can't relate to. It is a safe place. I owe my sobriety to this site. Welcome! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy first year! Byrdie you are amazing!!!!

Hellos to all newbies an oldies. Keep strong. Not much to report. Out with some new mum friends tomorrow. Already started making excuses about detoxing this moth therefore not drinking. See how that goes. Also taking the car so that should deter me. Few more days of witching hour evils but managing to keep them off.

Once again on the phone so sorry. Hope everyone is well xx

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you So Much Byrdie. I admire you and on next jan 20 I hope to celebrate my one year anniversary (along with your two year anniversary )

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks to you too, Jane and I have faith in you that your Florida vacation will be the best one you EVER had and that you won't even miss the AL at all. You have been so strong these last couple weeks ! You can do it !

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Star and Willow:goodjob:. You've already gotten some good advice here, but thought I'd post a link to the Toolbox. Be sure to read there and scroll through all the pages because things get buried. It will help you come up with a plan. The advice from Byrdie posted below is right on - you'll have to have responses ready for when you're offered drinks and decline them. I just tell people the truth, that alcohol disturbs my sleep to the point where it's like I've developed an allergy to it. I don't go into detail about how hard it was to stop drinking, but we don't socialize too much so I'm lucky in that department.

Just so you know, I was an every day drinker and absolutely could not imagine my life without alcohol. I'm only 66 days AF, but I'm getting better at envisioning myself as a non-drinker. All I have to think about is how well I'll sleep and how wonderful I'll feel tomorrow. It took me over a year to get to where I'm at, so you'll have to really want it and keep trying no matter what.

Here's a link to the Toolbox:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Star and Willow - :welcome:

This site is so awesome - glad you found us. Lots of good advice here - Byrdie and Lav have lots of wisdom and insight.

Byrdie - can't wait until tomorrow to celebrate with you! Such a huge, huge goal and one you can be so proud of! Glad I came back to see it.

Day 18 for me so more than halfway to 30 days and beyond!

Hope everyone else is doing well - and if your not, come here and read, read read.

Good night all!
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

UW - cross post - sober sleep is the best isn't it? Love crawling into bed gently at night as opposed to staggering into bed and most nights not even remembering how. I was a daily drinker too - every day I feel a little better than the day before.

Really loving this sober life
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks unwasted and Jolie. Your support means so much!

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jolie - I sound like a broken record, but I CANNOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE IN MY SLEEP. Now that I have the comparison, I have no idea how I lived that way!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All. Great to see new faces all the time. Means many lovely people are realizing this drinking culture of ours is a fake one. How can we continue to smile and drink, and smile and drink, when inside we are crying out: HELP!!!! I did it for so many years...now I'm getting older and I don't want to get into my golden years and have all the gold turn into dust!!!! I'm so glad I finally realized what I needed to do.

Have a great night everyone
                          Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                          (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh the sleeping is the BEST
                            I get SO much pleasure climbing into bed feeling so nice and naturally tired and drifting off almost immediately that I could probably be celibate the rest of my days no bother! It's THAT nice!

Anyway, it's 00:27 here so..... CONGRATULATIONS BYRDIE!!!!!!!

You make the world a better place. Well done and thank you for all the wonderful, inspiring posts.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks, everyone in the UK for the congrats!!! A year ago tonight was the worst night of my life. What a ride. Stay strong and don't give in no matter what!! Love to all, Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Byrdie; been thinking of you all night waiting until past midnight to say:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEHA!!!!!!

YOU SO DESERVE THIS!!!!

Byrdie, you have worked so hard for your sobriety and pulling others up the hill with you - you have become one of the Nest Mums for sure! Thank you for your constant support to each of us on MWO.
                                I wish you all the best in your wonderful life ahead!:wd:
                                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Working...
                                X