Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Welcome back kuya!

AL is a cunning beast ~ sucks you in everytime & there's no winning.
    For me quitting once & for all was necessary & I've never regretted my decision for a minute

Make a good plan - I posted the link for the Tool box this morning.
    Let us know how you are doing
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am struggling to manage to navigate the site let alone my first day sober for a while

Comment

Newbies Nest

Where is the link for the toolbox?

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey kuya - here it is! https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9 - good luck with the smoking...you can do it!

freefly - thanks for the kind words...I remember you very well. :-) changing your name...the tibetan rites, right? You haven't left - and that sure says something in my book.

prairie - I remember some of those early nights - particularly in the first major quit...I was into it really heavy at that time. When I sunk into the pillows at night - I'd breathe a sigh of relief - but in the morning - I'd be smiling. :-) Those were rough days - and nights...I slept sitting up- propped with the pillows - and jerked awake so often during the night with muscle twitches or nerves misfiring or something...like little lightning bolts. I was living in the real world but all alone in a little private hell that no body knew anything about...You're doing great...focus on you.
            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9 - have you signed up at Quit Smoking All Together: the Web's Largest Quit Smoking Community

They keep track of your days quit, $$ saved, lifetime saved, etc ~ very cool.
              I am 1196 days smoke free today (but I still think about the little fiends) :H
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya all,
                I'm still here and forging ahead ( well I'm 6 days AF so guess thats a big forge)
                PF = my sleep is all over the place too
                K9 = great to give up the fags.. I too smoke and every other time I have tried to stop the sauce, I tried to stop the smoke. I ended up doing more of Both.
                This time, I'm doing the Al first and then later I will tackle the cigs. I think its cool to stop smoking,, good onya!!
                Lavande Brydie et al = love you posts and thoughts
                Take Care all. I'm in a diff time zone so can never post at the same time as you guys
                Patrice

Comment

Newbies Nest

QUOTE=lolab;1369357] ? that the difference between success and continuing to drink can sometimes just be a 1% lack of true commitment or really believing that we can. We can go about for a long time ? ?wanting? this?.and believing that we want it 100% but there is still that 1% that is a little unsure ? and that 1% will bring us down. I did it for so long. Even before I found this site, I wanted to stop drinking. But then I didn?t really. Deep down, I just wanted to not be controlled by it anymore?it took a long time for this stubborn brain to realize that I had crossed a line and I couldn?t go back. :-)
                  You're spot on, lo. Am I committed to being AF? I don't know. Maybe that's why I went AWOL.

Not drinking doesn't scare me, and I would like for it to be a non-issue, but do I want to do the work to get there? I need to get to the place where I've committed.

Anyway, it's an AF day. 7 AF days out of the last 9 is pretty darn good for me.

PF--Sounds like you're getting your stuff together. I'm impressed with the work you're doing.

K9--My best to you as you go NF. The patch helped me. You can do it, you really can.

Patrice--6 days. Good job!

Hi FF!:bigwink:

Welcome, Kuya and Getting There (I think)! Sorry if I missed any new-newbies. You're all part of the crew.
                  "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings Juja & patrice!
                    Good to see both of you tonight.
                    Juja, removing drinking from the list of options will give you that 1% advantage. Finding suitable alternatives to handle drinking triggers is the key

Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rise & shine Nesters
                      Wishing everyone a terrific AF Tuesday!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Lav! And everyone…I hope everyone got a good nights’ rest.

Nothing concrete on the agenda today. I need to make a plan. Otherwise I’ll get nothing done. Hmmmm....that statement kind of applies to just about everything, doesn't it? ;-)

I didn’t mean to imply that you have to absolutely KNOW all the time that you are done and never drinking again. I think that’s a pretty big realization to come to and while I’d like to think I have – sometimes I do have my moments of wondering…And early on in the game – it’s a really really tough concept to embrace. I think none of us wants to be controlled by alcohol anymore but most come here with the hope of being able to control IT. It’s a gradual process for sure – to begin to realize whether that is or isn’t a possibility for you. But to make a quit “stick” – I think you have to be rid of that little bit of you that is still thinking that you’re not going to make it. You know – make up your mind and don’t let anything stop you. Make your plan – maybe for the 30 days at first – and figure out any obstacles that might stand in your way and how you are going to deal with them…and then plant your feet firmly in the ground and say NOTHING is going to get in my way of achieving this goal.

Hi Patrice – you’ve gone a week AF – fantastic!!! It’s nice to see you back. :-)
                        ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Keep posting, lolab, keep posting..... Your thoughts are so meaningful.

Thanks.
                          "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1369673 wrote:
                            .....removing drinking from the list of options will give you that 1% advantage. Finding suitable alternatives to handle drinking triggers is the key
                            Lav
                            This should be in the toolbox, Lavande.
                            Thanks.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all - today marks 25 AF days for me. Today is truly a milestone because I don't think I've ever gotten past 25 days before, at least not that I can remember. Can you believe I'm only 5 days away from getting my hat from Byrdie? Wow!

Now that I've posted that, I want to respond to the posts about feeling intimated by the successes here and how everyone seems to be racking up sober days when others are struggling to get to day 2. If anyone here knows that feeling, it's ME!! I have spent so many months coming here, either lurking and learning, or getting serious and posting "day 1." Then that day 1 might turn into day 2 or day 3, but then I would slip and stop posting, mostly out of shame or embarrassment. Then I would come back with my tail between my legs and start over again. How many times have I done that? Who knows, but it's a lot!

One thing you have to remember when you see someone racking up days. Those people most likely had SEVERAL attempts before they figured out what they needed to do to get sober. Maybe it was a tool in the toolbox. Maybe something a nester said. Maybe a fight with a loved one. It could be anything. But regardless, they found that "thing" that prompted them to start racking up those days.

And believe me, just because someone has racked up a good amount of days (like me), don't assume that person is cured. I am scared as hell, and I know a lot of other folks up here with a good amount of sober time are too. The beast is everywhere, and he is always looking for ways to ruin lives around him. He doesn't care how many days you've got racked up. He just wants to kill you...

So, if you are struggling, come here and learn. But also POST. It may take 50 tries for you to finally get it, but you WILL eventually get it. But you've GOT to keep trying. It will stick eventually. Every slip will teach you where your weaknesses are.

Love you all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni, you sound like a totally different person. I am near tears from your post. It is so true. I was jealous of the days others had and I couldn't seem to get thru a single dam night. It was awful, but as you know, I kept trying. And then one time, it stuck and I got it. I had that one 'thing' you refer to, and don't ask me how it got me thru, but it did. I was 2 weeks behind Jolie, and it was great, like I could see into the future! Her words, I could have written myself, her thoughts were my very same thoughts. One weekend she was going shopping with some girlfriends and said they would surely stop by a little restaurant afterwards and order a glass of wine...she wouldn't be ordering any..."Besides, what's ONE glass of wine going to do for me anyway?" That got me. All the cravings I was having for one glass of something....this sentence made me realize that one glass wasn't going to do, maybe even 1 bottle wasn't....dam, I had a problem. So none it is. You are so right about posting...your thougths are someone else's. We are all fighting the same demon and have the same thoughts!!
                                I am so proud of you Rooni....you remind me of me!! You stuck with it by golly and determined to win. You are so right, the beast is everywhere and I fought hard last weekend against him...it was amazing that it took everything I had to not cave in. But you know and I know, too, that one drink only leads to another. I never really enjoyed the drink I had for worrying about the next one. So no, not one, not ever for me.
                                I am getting your hat ready as we speak...it's a good feeling to know you are going to make it, isn't it?!!!! I could bust with pride.
                                Welcome to the new newbie's and returning newbie's!! We are all in this together and we can beat this thing...it takes a village, but we've got the resources to do it.
                                Strength to all today...Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X