Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hello again everyone!

Lola, even though I live in the middle of NOWHERE (cow country) I am only 10 miles away from a fabulous Swiss Chocolate makes called 'Neuchatel'. They make the BEST chocolate covered potato chips.....to die for really :H
    The Swiss Chip Story

They make awesome gifts for Christmas

PF, I believe the biggest/hardest part of living sober is taking the leap & accepting that we must change our thinking about AL. But, once we do that we effectively squash the monkey mind, the what ifs disappear, it just becomes a new way of life, a better life. Gratitude thinking replaces deprivation thinking & it's awesome
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning to all us newbies and old timers who stick around to lend support. I'd like to offer you some hope from someone who has made it past those first difficult 3, 7, and 30 days...for some of you even day 1, but I was always hungover, so day one was a breeze. Trust me, I know those emotional and physical struggles are a biaach, but YOU can do it. I had some really intense moments, major mood swings, even suicidal depression a couple times, flu like symptoms, just basically hell. Although I did have some ups through it too which helped to build some strength and I used those ups to hang on to. What I want to say, is we all go through it in various ways and life can hand you things that make you say, to hell with it, but don't listen to that thought. I am past 30 days now, and I'm feeling stronger and now ready to start tackling some of the changes I need to make to my life that were triggering me. Had I broke and given up, I wouldn't be here to make these changes. I'd still be sitting in the dark hole hating it and myself for not being stronger and letting the status quo eat my life away.

It's right there. You just have to take one step (one day) at a time to reach it. Don't give up when it gets tough. You'll be so happy you didn't and you get out of the fog and can take control of your life and make good decisions to better it.

Hang on, you are steps away.

Love,

Slay
      Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Lav and Slay... just copied your words down for my toolbox!
        I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

allankay;1384081 wrote: Rainy, the best suggestion I can give you is to stay on MWO tonight and keep reading and posting. Share all your doubts, fears, hopes and...Taking on too much is a downfall of many. The next 30 days should be all about you, healing and relaxing...Avoid social events if you can.

ALLAN
          Amen to that! I made that mistake. I've adjusted my plan to fit my current needs. Taking on too much can add stress and we know where that can lead.
          Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Think I am going to order the 4 cd's and ebook today...I like the thought of hypnosis..did some research a while back when I gave this sober stuff another shot...obviously that was not successful..
            Thoughts from anyone else on the hypnosis cd's. l I know some of u commented before but I am finding this thread moving really fast and hard to keep up....zoom....
            Dottie
            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Prairie,

Thanks for the link to the PAWS article. I hadn't heard about this until now. Glad I didn't until I was feeling a bit better. I'm super sluggish in the mornings and have to force myself out of bed but that's getting better. Yes, I was a daytime drinker. Actually, I would have a couple of good swallows of wine when my husband was in the shower in the morning so I wouldn't get shaky and irritable before he went to work. I could hold off during most of the day but I find my killer time is between 5 - 8pm. That's when I'm in the kitchen getting dinner ready and I always had a glass or two or three or four while I was cooking and then stop when my husband got home and switch to water.

It's weird talking about this because I have hid it for so long. Anyway, my cravings are not bad. When I get them I really think about why is it that I want to drink and what good would that do me. I keep the fridge stocked with Diet Coke and iced tea. I try to cook during the day instead of in the danger zone. I'm consuming loads of M&M's along with a pretty healthy diet otherwise. I sleep a lot but I keep my schedule full and make my appointments regardless of whether I want to or not. One foot in front of the other.

I do feel better and am pretty proud of my 23 days AF. I'm also glad to know about PAWS. I'm sorry you're having a downer day. You are such a supportive person and I have enjoyed reading your posts.

It's a dreary day in NJ, overcast and dark. It might be a good day to make some comforting soup.

Rest up, read, watch a movie, eat comfort food and know that we are here for you. I'll catch up with you later.

sending you
              ~a nurdl of caring~
              :notes:
              we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

i'm so fuzzy headed today - I just want to go to sleep...but I can't...have work to do....
                That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Slaythefear;1384115 wrote: Good morning to all us newbies and old timers who stick around to lend support. I'd like to offer you some hope from someone who has made it past those first difficult 3, 7, and 30 days...for some of you even day 1, but I was always hungover, so day one was a breeze. Trust me, I know those emotional and physical struggles are a biaach, but YOU can do it. I had some really intense moments, major mood swings, even suicidal depression a couple times, flu like symptoms, just basically hell. Although I did have some ups through it too which helped to build some strength and I used those ups to hang on to. What I want to say, is we all go through it in various ways and life can hand you things that make you say, to hell with it, but don't listen to that thought. I am past 30 days now, and I'm feeling stronger and now ready to start tackling some of the changes I need to make to my life that were triggering me. Had I broke and given up, I wouldn't be here to make these changes. I'd still be sitting in the dark hole hating it and myself for not being stronger and letting the status quo eat my life away.

It's right there. You just have to take one step (one day) at a time to reach it. Don't give up when it gets tough. You'll be so happy you didn't and you get out of the fog and can take control of your life and make good decisions to better it.

Hang on, you are steps away.

Love,

Slay
                  I'd like to add a past post I made at day 27 to this one.

I'm on day 27 AF today, and both Sunday and Monday were days of struggle for me on the urge front due to personal issues that caused both internal conflict and emotional pain. In the past, I've dealt with issues by inviting my psychologist AL to join me. He was always available and quite dependable I might add at a moments notice. I didn't have to face it on my own. (hmmm...there's something strong in that statement.) I thank those here who have posted both wisdom and struggles in their battle because it is in those posts, and my will to change that I find strength when the going gets tough. It's a bit like what goes in, comes out, so feeding my brain on such things becomes very handy when the demon comes calling. My brain begins to fight back with thoughts that keep me from being defeated. There are many here, and at various times some ring louder than others. This morning I was thinking how glad I was that I didn't breakdown and call my old psychologist. I woke without an all day hangover and without shame and embarrassment. Old dependable would have only kept my feet stuck in the mud through a muddled brain and defeatist attitude. Giving him the boot leaves me free to continue to move forward solving problems vs. remaining stuck and wallowing in them. It's well worth the discipline. It builds self respect and confidence that my life is worth fighting for and problems can be dealt with appropriately with a sound mind...my mind...a gift to us in this life. Why trash it sitting with a shrink that's only help is in handing you a noose as your way out?

Keep up the fight! It isn't always easy, but asking an enemy for help will never give you the results you REALLY are looking for.

to all the newbies. YOU can do it with the right ammo, mindset/determination. If you fall, just get right back up and look at it not as failure, but another learning experience to move you toward success. to all.

Battle stations!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you Slay for this wonderful post. You really have come a long way.
                    AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
                    AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
                    STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi There! This thread was recommended to me yesterday so I am posting to try & stay plugged in, like the intro says. I usually try & do this alone. 50's gal with grown kids & grandkids. Retired in Feb, with lots of time on my hands, "stress" is my middle name! I can quit for a few days but staying stopped is my issue. I drink wine & my day starts off with GMA & when it is an "appropriate time" to drink in a restaurant, I will hit up a restaurant for a "meal" with wine of course. And then hit the liquor store for a large bottle of wine & sit on my couch, laptop & TV remote. I can stay stopped for a week or two & then the thought of a drink comes & I run with it. Like this weekend, went to an Octoberfest, saw the beer line & immediate got in line after 5 days of sobriety. Then, the cycle begins until I just get sick of the dirty house, credit card purchases(mostly on restaurants), out of touch with my kids, isolation, blah blah blah. Day 2 today & starting to clean up the mess I have made, getting rid of empty bottles & to go boxes, clean the LR(where I plop my ass) & some sort of exercise. Anyway, didn't mean to be so long winded & hope everyone has a AF day!
                      :l:rays:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!

Welcome Colomissy...glad you found us! Switch up your routine for tonight. I only drank at home, so when I first quit, I changed my environment...moved furniture, moved lamps...anything to make my drinking "spot" look different. I was tired of associating my living room with drinking....you will find that even little things help. Now I can actually sit anywhere in my living room without feeling like I'm missing something.

Lav and Lola- I want to join you. But I might steal Stella and take her home with me. She can sleep in my bed. LOL

I almost forgot: :yougo::yougo:HAPPY FRIDAY!:yougo::yougo:

I hope everyone stays strong this weekend. Remember that weekends are just days and not an excuse to drink. Cravings will pass!

Buckle up and stay in the Nest everyone!

xoxox
                        K9
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I went ahead and ordered the book and CD combo....will report back
                          Day 6 and Friday are dangerous but hopefully going out to dinner should break up the evening when I would start happy hour when I got home from work...
                          Dottie...
                          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover - that is really a good idea & love your quote!

Dottie - I am thinking about purchasing the hypno CD's as well.
                            :l:rays:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm here and lurking ! Failing but still lurking xx

Love you guys xxx
                              Trying again from 22nd September 2014 Keeping it simple. Keeping it real.

Comment

Newbies Nest

stumpy;1384146 wrote: Thank you Slay for this wonderful post. You really have come a long way.
                                Thanks Medusa. I am beginning to feel a little traction. Although, I know it's time to deal with some issue straight up without my side kick psychiatrist, so I'll need to armor up daily. Facing triggers can be risky business, but it has to be done for long term success. I actually need to go back and read some of my posts to see the transformation taking place in a more visual way. As you read them, you get a direct reminder of what you have come through so far.

I hope you are seeing the benefits and feeling better, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X