Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Sweet lip and daisy:

Good to see you guys!!! Everyday of drinking less or no drinking is better than a day of drinking at your baseline so lets focus on our health today and kick the guilt aside for another day!
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good grief, RC. That's all I can say. Next week I'll devote my quit avatar to an ancestor, or something. Anyway, 22 days and feelin' mighty fine!

Keep it rolling today and as always, be good -
      -Fin

PS: Cat, here's another tune for you - Jackson: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fu2ffs6oywbxzn5/Jackson_5-5-11_BP.mp3
      Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
      Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

SLips....so glad you were able to follow my breadcrumbs....I'm not a computer geenyus...... I find this place is somewhat tricky to navigate...I'm glad you found us...I bet you can already see you've landed in a great spot. Please read back a couple of weeks and get to know us and where we are coming from. We are so glad you're here!

Daisy...I have plenty of faults...but one thing I did RIGHT was continuing to come back here!! I never quit quitting!! And thank goodness! That last time it DID stick! I just finally got the ball and I never looked back and I'm still running! Being aroung like-minded people really helps. I find that when I'm on my own out in the world....well, they don't know the dark caverns of AL addiction. 'One drink's not gonna hurt you!'. Bah...nothing could be further from the truth!!! ONE drink is going to derail me...one drink is going to lead to another one, and so the cycle begins. So when I come here...I am among people who understand that we must turn down what we want most...we must go against the tide....and it's hard to do sometimes. Breaking free has a tremendous reward...but it does come with a price. As Ricky Nelson so aptly put it..."You can't please everyone, so ya...got to please yourself". The point of this whole paragraph (for those who haven't nodded off) is that this place is support for what you are trying to achieve...stick with us... we won't steer you wrong!!!

Today IS a better day....Happy AF Tuesday! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all,
          Beautiful day here in Ohio...not too many more I am afraid...lots of errands today.
          Slept pretty well..urges seem to go away faster these days...I truly think the hypnosis CD's are helping....
          Welcome to all the new folks..this is such a great place...wish I had found it a few decades ago...
          Dottie
          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome, SLips and Welcome back, Daisy (I missed you :l)

Hello to all my nestmates:h:h

I am just feeling great today.

Today is day 23 for me, and for some reason, I just feel like a really different person - and I owe every bit of this feeling to you all. You are the most supportive and informative group of friends ever! I learn from all of you each and every day. Even though I have been battling AL for many years and have learned a lot, through my own experiences, I am really finding a lot of new information and ways of thinking by reading your posts. Lolab, I think that is great the way you have diagnosed the reason that you are wanting to drink recently, even after one year's sobriety.

Also, there has been a lot of talk about H.A.L.T. over the past couple days. (For the newcomers, this means making sure you are not Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired when you crave a drink) I have heard of this before, but have really put it into practice during this quit and I believe it has saved me a couple of times. Byrdie, I did not indulge in Snickers bars yesterday afternoon (thankfully, after your experience), but I did go ahead and get a high protein snack on the way home from work. I was hungry and I could tell I was experiencing low blood sugar. My body needed a boost and she (of course) thought that AL was the quickest way to get that boost. I have been following a high protein/low carb diet since my quit and I really really believe it has helped the cravings this time by stabilizing my blood sugar (plus, I have lost 5 pounds). Anyhoo- success in making it home without stopping at the convenience store for AL yesterday and ruining my quit and feeling like s**t today.

Sorry for the long post- just thanks to all of you- and I am as proud of all of you as I am of myself! We can do it!

XOXO Star
            :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Back again for a quick minute -

Welcome Sweetlips & Daisy!
              Glad you are both here but I just want to tell you both something imprtant ~ nothing changes if nothing changes!!!!!
              You both need to sit & write detailed plans for success & commit yourselves. You will succeed IF you want to NOT drink more than you want to drink
              That's the place I had to get myself to in order to quit, same for Byrdie & the others finding success right now.
              We will be here to support you but the hard work must be done by the both of you ;0
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cross post star -
                You are doing great
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Man, I'm so jealous of those who lose weight when they stop drinking. I think I'm gaining more weight because I'm hungrier. I was putting all those alcoholic calories in my body and since I quit, I'm eating everything in sight. Next challenge: eating addiction. I can handle only One addiction at a time.
                  Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                  A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1398060 wrote: Back again for a quick minute -

~ nothing changes if nothing changes!!!!!
                    Lavande: I echo this sentiment. I donno if you ever watch that show called House, but the main character at one point said the following which is very relevant here:

Comment

Newbies Nest

My mind is too busy with itself today to say much, so I'll leave a few quotes to do the talking.

Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours. ~Richard Bach, Illusions

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. ~Michael Jordan

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves. ~Edmund Hillary

:l

Slay
                      Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Alco...I hear ya....I said the very same, that first month I was AF I GAINED 3 pounds...but it levels off...and then it comes off...but I did spike first, which was the pits...hang in!! B
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey, Alco-

Losing the AL addiction is WAY more important than dealing with the diet issues right now. I just know that I have experienced issues with blood sugar before and so I decided to try cutting out carbs this time and honestly, I have not had the bad cravings that I have when I am drinking. I can't say for sure that this is why, but whatever works!

I think the most important thing for you to do is just keep reading and posting (like you are doing) and if you don't have really good plan for what to do during times of temptation (or before those times), then go ahead and get one in place (write it down). I think accountability is also a big help for me.

Keep up the good work, Alco
                          :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

that'd make an awesome signature line Fin...

that being said - I've proven it...time isn't making that dust go away on my table....so I guess I better do something about it!
                            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1398017 wrote: Good grief, RC. That's all I can say. Next week I'll devote my quit avatar to an ancestor, or something. Anyway, 22 days and feelin' mighty fine!

Keep it rolling today and as always, be good -
                              -Fin

PS: Cat, here's another tune for you - Jackson: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fu2ffs6oywbxzn5/Jackson_5-5-11_BP.mp3
                              Fin, thank you so much for the music. I've been dealing with so much stress and anger at work. I am going to listen to this several times today to bring my calm back.

Catbuddy
                              "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Catbuddy;1398072 wrote: Fin, thank you so much for the music. I've been dealing with so much stress and anger at work. I am going to listen to this several times today to bring my calm back.

Catbuddy
                                Nice...it's a good one. My buddy in Portland is on lead and steel guitar. He's also singing the main part, I'm mando + tenor harmonies, or at least attempting to get up there vocally. Ha.

Feel better, girl -
                                -Fin

Comment

Working...
                                X