Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

[QUOTE=Starfish1;1442197]Good Morning Friends :l

First of all, I just want to say how much I love each and every one of you and how much all of your posts mean to me. Sharing your ups and downs, triumphs, pathways and struggles is such a wonderful gift and each post strengthens me and many others. :thanks:

Dear Star, I agree with you!! Newbies Nest is a gift offered and received. When we post our ups and downs, we are helping ourselves (just "getting it on paper" helps) AND we are helping others in The Nest. It's a total win-win.

This morning's posts are wonderful. Such great advice and great humor. It feels really good to laugh a little more each day.

Weekend plans: Hmm... Well, of course, there's lots of homework. I'm going to visit my mom and dad. I love my parents a whole big bunch, BUT (you saw this coming, didn't you) they have always had very high expectations and can be quite demanding. Kind of makes me want to swig some AL in their driveway before I walk in. But I won't. You know that I won't!!! So, maybe a shorter visit than usual. Hubby is taking me to dinner tonight. We haven't been out to dinner in forever. But last night he said, "Tess, I would like to take you out on the town. You are more beautiful than ever (trust me, I'm not beautiful at 200 pounds), and you seem to be glowing." Wasn't that sweet? Hubby, too, (similar to parents) has very high standards regarding the way life is to be conducted. But he seemed "softer" last evening -- not so sharp around the edges. We've been through hell together. Well, actually, I've put him through hell the last five years with my alcoholism. But he's still here.

I'm rambling. Sorry.

I don't think of weekends as being a trigger because I was not a social drinker. Never went to a bar. Can't think of when I've ever been in a bar. My parents would "ground" me. Ha!! No, for me, every day is a trigger. Also, as a student, I don't have a Monday - Friday workweek. Anytime is the right time for homework. Blek!!

Okay, I'm going to make some fancy flavored coffee (yes, all beverages in my home have been upgraded :cupajoe, and get this day started.

I hope your day is fabulous!!
    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
    pointed the way
    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning friends,

I love it when people start discussing their weekend plans on here. It just makes me smile when I read about all the little domestic tasks that people are going to tackle, just little stuff. I owe Jennieich (I hope I spelled that name right) bigtime for making me think about weekends alot a while ago (she posted a cool thread about weekends). Now, I just go about my weekends at a slower pace, take a bit of time to relax and recharge. If you can go find that thread it might give you an idea or two!

Tess, good for you!

ODAT, good to see you, not hearing the alarm clock is a blessing!

Lola, you make a great point about stages in the journey. I did most of my struggling before I came on here. I did my years and years of Day 1 (until about 5:00 PM) over and over again all by myself.

Lavande, Byrdie, Starfish, Hippyman, Kuya, and everyone, have a great AF day!
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good day Nesters..... Usually my weekends are domestic chore related and maybe a movie night out. However tomorrow is going to be a challenge. Dinner/live theatre with another couple to celebrate her birthday. They know I like my wine (and they do to, but not to the extent I would consume). Going to be a challenge, but I am rehearsing asking for cranberry juice and soda.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in. GOOD MORNING ODAT! I felt the need to yell that in case you couldn't hear me from under my bag.

Tess-I bet you are glowing. One thing I have said here is that I feel like I'm falling in love all over again with my hubs. and I think he is seeing in me now the woman he fell in love with. A great new life!

I hate my throne room. New TP doesn't even make it nicer.

This weekend? Work and hopefully some relaxation and reading. Also looking forward to shutting off that darn alarm clock.

I'll fly back in later. Have a great day!

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day,
            When you ask for that cranberry juice & soda......
            Do it with a big smile on your face
            It leaves people wondering, if you know what I mean!!!
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day;1442220 wrote: Good day Nesters..... Usually my weekends are domestic chore related and maybe a movie night out. However tomorrow is going to be a challenge. Dinner/live theatre with another couple to celebrate her birthday. They know I like my wine (and they do to, but not to the extent I would consume). Going to be a challenge, but I am rehearsing asking for cranberry juice and soda.

New Day - Tomorrow night WILL be a challenge. And I'm sorry. Maybe one way to think about is this: most people have a dichotomy between their private selves and their public selves. So, your friends "who like their wine too" may quietly admire you for taking good care of yourself by not drinking the wine. Who knows, maybe one or the other has more of a problem with wine than you are aware of. As I say, we are not always forthright about what is going on "behind closed doors," even with our closest friends.

My hunch is that, as you are gathered tomorrow night with your friends and they are ordering the wine, you may think, "Oh what the hell. What is one glass of wine. Really, I'm being ridiculous." In my experience, there is no such thing as one drink. Never. It always ends up being much more. Wasn't it F. Scott Fitzgerald who said, "I take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes me"?

If you begin to feel awkward or uncomfortable, it may help to think of all of us in The Nest who genuinely care about you, are rooting for you, and are waiting to give you a high-five with our fractured -- but mending -- wings when you fly back in after the birthday celebration.

We are with you. :hug:
              Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
              pointed the way
              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yall are so sweet, thank you for the kind words and for assuring me I am welcome here as I find my way. Today is friday so I get a bath, a bundt cake (red velvet with cream cheese frosting yum) and some chill time, and to pay bills which is stressful so ill try not to think about t too much. Friday always ment cash your check, go get vodka, pay bills, figjt about no money. I think its time to change that habit. It sucked anyway. I listened to the hypno tapes I found online before bed last night. I liked them. I can see where it could work. Ill check back later.
                ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET THOUGH THIS DAY AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day...Kuya was saying the other day that you just can't let other people's opinion lead you by the short and curlies (to paraphrase). Like when you are on a plane and they say to secure your oxygen mask before assisting others....in this case, you are setting your own house in order, what other people think is irrelevant in the scheme of things. I have found 2 things...there are people who will support you (or dont' notice) and there are those who will try and sabbotage you (jealous). I have a feeling you will quickly find out just which she is tomorrow!! This is a learning experience in every way...but it's survival. I just don't care what other people think about MY not drinking...

If I have any concern, it's how YOU will do....I always thought that EVERYBODY else in the place was drinking except me. I bet if you look around, you won't find that to be the case at all. It's about half and half....once that first round of drink orders is taken, you will be good to go. If you want my cell phone number, just let me know, you can text me if you need to. All of our avatars will be right there at the table with you cheering you on...You can do it!! XXOO, B
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav and Tess....thank you so much for your post in response to my concern about tomorrow. You can bet I WILL be thinking of everyone in the Nest here over the pre-dinner drink and then wine time. Almost forgot about the per-dinner ones.....that will be "a soda and lime, please".

ODAT....I've never had red velvet cake....sounds good though!.....enjoy!
                    Babysitting my 9 month old grandson....gotta run....will check in later!

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day;1442332 wrote: Lav and Tess....thank you so much for your post in response to my concern about tomorrow. You can bet I WILL be thinking of everyone in the Nest here over the pre-dinner drink and then wine time. Almost forgot about the per-dinner ones.....that will be "a soda and lime, please".

ODAT....I've never had red velvet cake....sounds good though!.....enjoy!
                      Babysitting my 9 month old grandson....gotta run....will check in later!
                      Hi folks. I have red velvet coffee. I will try it later today and let you know how it is. The cake is the BEST!
                      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Newbies Nest

:yougo::yougo:HAPPY FRIDAY!:yougo::yougo:

I have a bit of a head cold so I will do the short version:

- You'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before
                        - A craving never lasts as long as a hangover
                        - Never quit quitting
                        - A craving is just a thought, you don't have to act on it

And my personal fave: Drinking for me isn't rainbows and butterflies...it's handcuffs, DUI's and a cellmate named Diablo.

Happy weekend everyone!!!
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

:yougo::yougo::yougo:

K9 Lover, she's our girl...
                          Oh look out, she's gonna hurl!

Sorry you're sick!! Distant hugs...love you! B
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie. Thank you as we'll...we were cross posting... I just saw your message now. It not whether my friend will support me or not.....it's just that it will be the first time EVER that I haven't ordered a drink with them. I guess it's just nervousness about how to explain.....mostly because my hubby hasn't asked why I'm not drinking either.....I think he's just relieved that I'm not but doesn't want to bring the subject up. We don't communicate on sensitive issues very well.
                            My response to why (if they ask) will be just a health kick at the moment....and hope it gets left there

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9 hope you get over the head cold soon. I used Oil of Oregano with great success to fight it off....but you do have to catch it at the first signs

Comment

Newbies Nest

hope you're better soon K9

techie - red velvet coffee???? I'm intrigued...
                                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X