Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1458029 wrote: Good Morning Nesters!

Quick drop in for me right now. Just wanted to say if you haven't seen it, check out that movie called Flight with Denzel Washington. It's the most honest portrayal of alcoholism I've ever seen. I couldn't stop thinking about it even after the movie was over.

Hope ya'll have a great day and I'll drop in later to catch up!

xoxoxoxo
    K9
    K9 - Going to watch Flight. Have a fab day!! ~
    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
    pointed the way
    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1458017 wrote: Kradle...GULP, you want ME to help you with a computer question? Well...ok.

May the least qualified person step up to help Miss Kradle? Here I am!!!

There may be a way to do both at the same time, but I don't know what that'd be, so slow and easy wins the race, right?
      So you are here in the Newbies' Nest, so take your cursor up to the wayyyy upper left hand corner where the http address is showing......when your cursor is over it, it'll highlight it...then right click that address and a window pops up with things to do...choose COPY. Now, close up shop....just hop off and go to the top
      of a page in the nest...then hit USER CP in the line Between Reply to Thread and Reply to thread...see it? click that...then go into Edit signature...place your cursor where you want the link to appear, like below your AF days or start date...and right click your mouse and that same little menu appears, hit Paste and Voila! the link appears! I had to ADD the '=Tool Box' words to mine...because it just shows up as gobble de gook....do the same with the tool box...I actuallly had to go to the Tool box to get the address...You might be able to just copy and paste from my signature line...but I won't make any promises...It is very handy!!! Hugs! Byrdie
      OMG BYRDIE ! I DID IT :bananacomputer:

Ms. Byrdie points THE WAY OUT once again :thanks:

:l:h

PS: least qualified, my butt :moon:

On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kradle....yer a Geenyus!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just thrilled it worked!! Go us!!!! (old people rock!!!) xxooo, B!
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1458029 wrote: Good Morning Nesters!

Quick drop in for me right now. Just wanted to say if you haven't seen it, check out that movie called Flight with Denzel Washington. It's the most honest portrayal of alcoholism I've ever seen. I couldn't stop thinking about it even after the movie was over.

Hope ya'll have a great day and I'll drop in later to catch up!

xoxoxoxo
          K9
          I don't know K9...I don't think i could sit through that without falling apart. Just watched the trailer and started crying...:upset:

Is it out on Netflix or DVD yet? I am crazy emotional lately,

:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1458093 wrote: Kradle....yer a Geenyus!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just thrilled it worked!! Go us!!!! (old people rock!!!) xxooo, B!
            OOPS! Cross post !

The Byrd's in The Nest so The Kradle can Rock !:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

:H:H:H

You make me want to bust out in rhymes! B
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 5 AF and still okay! I'm kind of stunned and just beginning to allow myself to feel a little bit happy about this...I've quit so many times before (up to 2 weeks) but always with a plan to eventually moderate, which just made the thought "I can't wait until I get to drink again" run through my head the whole 2 weeks. This time, my goal and thought is "never again".

Fin, hang in there. I found the supplements really did work to quell my cravings, but I think because it also quelled my hunger. And since I've been eating again, I'm not hungry much. I drank a lot more when I was hungry...nice to get that quick buzz from an empty stomach and all. Maybe the supplements are all psychological -- whatever -- I'm not questioning it because I feel much more together this quit than I ever have before.

Another tip for anyone just getting going, which has worked for me. I can't remember which senior member told me that my hateful thoughts about myself were just the real me trying to get through to the drunk me -- and then someone posted the story about us being perfect as babies, but how we'd be jailed for neglect if we treated one of our own children the way we've treated ourselves. But find those two things (or if someone knows how to navigate this thread better than I do, if you could please find those? Just within the past few days).

Anyway, read those and then think of your brain as two different people -- kind of pretend split-personality disorder. There's the part of your brain that is You, the baby born perfect who is lovely and deserves to be taken care of their entire life and is a lovely person worth being loved. Then there's this other part of your brain who is the drunk person. The one who abuses you, who insists you're going to fail, who wants to destroy your life and those around you. I gave that second person a name -- it's a name I hate, that I associate with a selfish, bitchy, loathsome person. (I'm not going to tell you the name I decided on, in case any of you actually like it...sorry, I don't want to offend). Naming that part of me as someone I despise, who has nothing to do with the perfect baby that was born 45 years ago, has somehow made me more inspired to beat her when she sneaks through.

Any other newbies out there, I also found exercising has been really helpful. Just a brisk 30 minute walk...something I haven't done in ages! Best wishes to all for another AF day!

Elliesmom
                Day 5 AF
                Elliesmom

-------------------------------

For supplement dosage/schedule go to:
                http://www.mywayout.org/supps/update.pdf

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kradle123;1458098 wrote: I don't know K9...I don't think i could sit through that without falling apart. Just watched the trailer and started crying...:upset:

Is it out on Netflix or DVD yet? I am crazy emotional lately,

:l
                  It came out on DVD yesterday...I got it from Redbox. I have to watch movies/shows like that...it keeps me grounded and thankful for where I'm at. Watch it when you're ready...you'll be glad you did. :h
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 12 still...

Hello fellow nesters,

Hope everyone is having a peachy day.

I would like to apologize if anything I shared came off as a criticism re: AA or those who attend. I meant only to speak to my experience of it. Perhaps I am much too new to give my opinions as I certainly DO NOT mean to discourage any and every method that may work to gain and maintain sobriety. Clearly it HAS worked for countless numbers of people and saved lives. If anything I said caused offense, please forgive...:h

[QUOTE=Persephone1;1457843]
                    ...I am with you re: AA, I could not hang for various reasons. I consider myself spiritual, but IMO, god has nothing to do with this mess I put myself in and it didn't seem right to place any/all the responsibility on him/her to save me from it/myself. And that was all I heard when I attended. This forum is empowering. It gives us a place to unite, be accountable, and find and use the tools that work for us individually. And that is invaluable. I believe AA does work for some, but recovery, like god/religion is very personal and we each have to find our own way...My Way Out!

[QUOTE=kuya;1457873]

( but don't criticise any method, if it worked for them it may work for someone else )
                    "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1458100 wrote: :H:H:H

You make me want to bust out in rhymes! B
                      A rhyme for Brydie...

Thanks for building such a wonderful NEST
                      and all your advise, it is really the best!

There were so many times that you've wiped our tears
                      and so many more when you have calmed our fears.

As long as we stay sober, it will be all right,
                      but if you continue to drink we'll cry every night.

But if you slip, you are never alone,
                      sadness be gone. :upset: Just look how you have grown :l

A sober life,
                      you are well on your way
                      Be alcohol free
                      and today is the day :goodjob:
                      Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ellie's Mom- Thanks for asking that question about the person who posted about the way we treat our inner child. I was wondering that myself this morning. I would love to read that one again- it really rang true for me!

Hello, everyone :l
                        Missing you all!!!! I steal a few minutes when I can to peek in on the nest and the roll call, but have not had time to contribute much- I am SORRY!!!

Everyone is doing well adding up those AL-free days. As I keep saying to those that are struggling in that first month- just keep going, it gets better!

Glad to see you back, Fin and Ginger! Welcome, Jimmy. I believe I already spoke to Pers.

Love you all :h
                        Star
                        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, hippie- cross post- but that Byrdlady rhyme is STELLAR! Good job!
                          :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hippy...Wow...I don't know what to say! Someone went to the trouble of making a rhymer for me! And old timer!! I'm going to print that out! Thank you so much!!

This is Kuya's post that Siren was kind enough to find for us yustaday!!

Quote:

The most abusive relationship is the one we have with ourselves.

I am my own child. I was born perfect and beautiful ( I KNOW that, I have seen the photos )
                            This is how I have been treating my child.

I have starved her for years with eating disorders.
                            Told her she was fat and ugly time and time again.
                            Made her work far too hard and gave her hardly any breaks.
                            No matter how well she did or hard she worked I was never satisfied with her
                            I never treated her to enough new clothes or did nice things for her to make her feel good.
                            I fed her drugs every day to shut her up so I didn't have to listen to her.
                            When she was obviously getting ill I ignored her and didn't get her help.

If this was a child you were given to raise you would be jailed for neglect.
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Elliesmom;1458110 wrote: Day 5 AF and still okay! I'm kind of stunned and just beginning to allow myself to feel a little bit happy about this...I've quit so many times before (up to 2 weeks) but always with a plan to eventually moderate, which just made the thought "I can't wait until I get to drink again" run through my head the whole 2 weeks. This time, my goal and thought is "never again".

Fin, hang in there. I found the supplements really did work to quell my cravings, but I think because it also quelled my hunger. And since I've been eating again, I'm not hungry much. I drank a lot more when I was hungry...nice to get that quick buzz from an empty stomach and all. Maybe the supplements are all psychological -- whatever -- I'm not questioning it because I feel much more together this quit than I ever have before.

Another tip for anyone just getting going, which has worked for me. I can't remember which senior member told me that my hateful thoughts about myself were just the real me trying to get through to the drunk me -- and then someone posted the story about us being perfect as babies, but how we'd be jailed for neglect if we treated one of our own children the way we've treated ourselves. But find those two things (or if someone knows how to navigate this thread better than I do, if you could please find those? Just within the past few days).

Anyway, read those and then think of your brain as two different people -- kind of pretend split-personality disorder. There's the part of your brain that is You, the baby born perfect who is lovely and deserves to be taken care of their entire life and is a lovely person worth being loved. Then there's this other part of your brain who is the drunk person. The one who abuses you, who insists you're going to fail, who wants to destroy your life and those around you. I gave that second person a name -- it's a name I hate, that I associate with a selfish, bitchy, loathsome person. (I'm not going to tell you the name I decided on, in case any of you actually like it...sorry, I don't want to offend). Naming that part of me as someone I despise, who has nothing to do with the perfect baby that was born 45 years ago, has somehow made me more inspired to beat her when she sneaks through.

Any other newbies out there, I also found exercising has been really helpful. Just a brisk 30 minute walk...something I haven't done in ages! Best wishes to all for another AF day!

Elliesmom
                              Day 5 AF
                              Hello Elliesmom - I'm a Newbie. Yes, our brain is two different people -- but that's only the beginning. We are MANY different people. My counselor (of one visit) compares a person to a bus full of different people. This is MY paraphrase of the bus analogy: each of us is a multifaceted diamond. We may not see this about ourselves 'till "Kingdom Come," but we are all beautiful gems.

Cheryl Strayed writes: "Some people will judge and condemn you, but most won't. Our minds are small, but our hearts are big. Just about every one of us has fucked up at one point or another. You're in a pickle. You did things you didn't hope to do. You have not always been your best self. This means that you're like the rest of us. I've never been in a humiliating situation when I wasn't shocked by all the "normal" people who were also in the very same humiliating situation. Humans are beautifully imperfect and complex..."

Congrats on 5 AF days!! :applaud:

The man pulling radishes
                              pointed the way
                              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hippyman;1458133 wrote: A rhyme for Brydie...

Thanks for building such a wonderful NEST
                                and all your advise, it is really the best!

There were so many times that you've wiped our tears
                                and so many more when you have calmed our fears.

As long as we stay sober, it will be all right,
                                but if you continue to drink we'll cry every night.

But if you slip, you are never alone,
                                sadness be gone. :upset: Just look how you have grown :l

A sober life,
                                you are well on your way
                                Be alcohol free
                                and today is the day :goodjob:

Happy Hippy - Such talent!! I love this poem. Thank you!!

The man pulling radishes
                                pointed the way
                                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Working...
                                X