Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Great weekend at the beach with my daughters soon to be in laws. Left at 3:30 am to get back to work on time. I'm pretty tired but we do what we have to do!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Agree 3J - totally impressive.
      Welcome newbies - you have landed in the right place. This group of folks has been tremendous in keeping me accountable and feeling safe.

Day 19 and all is okay with cravings, etc. Still eating more sugar than normal and am taking L-Glutamine but not sure how long that takes to kick in. Sometime sups need time to front load but not sure if that's the case with this one. Any other experience this?

This weekend we have part 2 of my father-in-law's funeral. Original service was early August. Not many folks had time to make arrangements to get here, so the family planned a second service graveside this coming Sunday. As such lots of folks are able to make it in that weren't here for part 1 and many are drinking pals as well as relatives. Soooo, I'm working on my plan for escaping and my excuses. They start arriving Wednesday night, some of which will stay here. I have planned a lot of tennis matches throughout which always gives me a good excuse. "Need to have my wits about me as this is going to be a tough match." Or, "match play early Saturday morning - my team counting on me to be ready to go". Other times, I'm planning on staying busy here on the farm, cleaning stalls, hiking with dogs, shopping with my mom, etc. Most folks will depart on Monday or Tuesday so it's going to be a long weekend. I think I'll be okay but I sure don't want to sound cavalier about this because I'm still too vulnerable and as soon as I act pompous or overly confident, guess what will happen. Or, as soon as I say "never", just the opposite happens. So, I'm going to try to stay humble and continue to take it one day at a time. Also have a session with my counselor this week for added strength. Avoiding my husband as much as possible through the weekend as well. His remarks = al trigger for me.
      Any other strategies are welcome!
      I will report daily on the roll call and try to check into the nest at night to post, see how the everyone's doing and for safe keeping.
      Have a great AF Monday everyone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1548422 wrote: Teabags, yes, aside from the funeral, I did have a relaxing weekend...even the drive up and back was pleasant with hubs, it was a beautiful day here...we got back around 6...in the old days I would have been carrying a stash with me and been lit at the funeral. I would have been irritated at getting back, 'so late'. As it was, there was no deadline to get home and I didn't feel that agitation that I was being inconvenienced.
        I'm sorry - I've not gone back far enough to realise you had a loss - I am sorry for your loss. I hope everything went smoothly.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hellos friends, back in office today after the week and one week in Switzerland, I visitor came from New Jersey. Long way from where I live. It's like 14 hour flight. age 65 admitted he was a functional alcoholic even went to an AA meeting once had trouble with health I could tell.

I took to. Bar & Restaurant for a moment wanted to shared beers with him and get drunk but stopped and ordered a diet coke. Look at me he took just one beer and he too went having diet cokes.

I wonder what is better knowing that you are an alcoholic or not knowing at all. I knew I was having trouble with AL about 7 years back or maybe earlier when I went to an AA meeting. Saw everyone sharing stories but at that time I knew I had problem but I thought AA will help me sort out things. I was wrong its ME who has to sort out things.

Point is I knew way back when I was line 26 that I am drinking too much and Aman alcoholic and but didn't do anything keep on drinking .... Today seeing this 65 year old guy and admitting that he is an alcoholic reminded me of myself ....

I wonder if he would thank me as I was taking diet coke or will just crib about as to why I don't drink.

Sober for almost 24 days now folks !
          Rahul
          --------------------------------------------
          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
          Rebooting ... done ...
          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1548508 wrote: Hellos friends, back in office today after the week and one week in Switzerland, I visitor came from New Jersey. Long way from where I live. It's like 14 hour flight. age 65 admitted he was a functional alcoholic even went to an AA meeting once had trouble with health I could tell.

I took to. Bar & Restaurant for a moment wanted to shared beers with him and get drunk but stopped and ordered a diet coke. Look at me he took just one beer and he too went having diet cokes.

I wonder what is better knowing that you are an alcoholic or not knowing at all. I knew I was having trouble with AL about 7 years back or maybe earlier when I went to an AA meeting. Saw everyone sharing stories but at that time I knew I had problem but I thought AA will help me sort out things. I was wrong its ME who has to sort out things.

Point is I knew way back when I was line 26 that I am drinking too much and Aman alcoholic and but didn't do anything keep on drinking .... Today seeing this 65 year old guy and admitting that he is an alcoholic reminded me of myself ....

I wonder if he would thank me as I was taking diet coke or will just crib about as to why I don't drink.

Sober for almost 24 days now folks !
            RAHULT way to go on 24 days. I hit 30 today. Piece of cake. you'll have 30 in the bag in no time. Race you to 60 days:goodjob:
            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Newbies Nest

TJ, we are so happy for your 30 days!!!! I hope your hat fit ok! That was a wonderful acceptance speech you made over on roll call. You have a good reason to be stepping high today! Well done, you!!! Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats on your 30 days TJAF! :goodjob:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters!

TJ, a huge well done on your 30 days! Are you planning on continuing AL free? If so, get your plan in place. We are all rooting for you :goodjob:

Rahul, way to go my friend, you are loving this sober life, aren't you? You probably gave that guy a lot to think about too, well done on setting a good example.

Sanchez, funerals are bad enough without coming in two parts, sounds like you have a good plan in place though :l

3J, Liz, Teabo, glad to hear you all sounding happy and positive.

I am knackered tonight, don't think I can keep my eyes open for much longer. Early at work, then straight to the gym. I have a few friends who took part in Tough Mudder this weekend, a killer obstacle course. I actually might have let them talk me round to signing up for next year, still thinking about it, I do love a challenge!

I hope all of you are safe and well and sober. Goodnight xx
                  Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All, sorry but cant remember names atm, getting my head around not drinking lol. Thanks for all your advice, a second fridge may be the go Brydie but i am sure mum will be understanding as my brother died of alcoholism and she worries about me as does everyone else i am sure. Slept like a log which i thought would not happen but half a valium helped i am sure. I have woken feeling foggy but am sure this is normal and it took me a minute or two to realise I did not drink last night so it is not a hangover.

Bring on Day 3 I say and hopefully the witching hour at 5pm will get easier as time goes by.

I hope everyone has a great day and stays strong. I have started a journal of how I am feeling and thinking being AF and being AF i may actually carry this through and stay on track. It would be nice to finish something sober for a change.
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

broken halo;1548539 wrote: Hello Nesters!

TJ, a huge well done on your 30 days! Are you planning on continuing AL free? If so, get your plan in place. We are all rooting for you :goodjob:

Rahul, way to go my friend, you are loving this sober life, aren't you? You probably gave that guy a lot to think about too, well done on setting a good example.

Sanchez, funerals are bad enough without coming in two parts, sounds like you have a good plan in place though :l

3J, Liz, Teabo, glad to hear you all sounding happy and positive.

I am knackered tonight, don't think I can keep my eyes open for much longer. Early at work, then straight to the gym. I have a few friends who took part in Tough Mudder this weekend, a killer obstacle course. I actually might have let them talk me round to signing up for next year, still thinking about it, I do love a challenge!

I hope all of you are safe and well and sober. Goodnight xx
                      Broken Halo, Im not planning on it I'm counting on it!:happy:
                      Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Newbies Nest

TJ - great job on 30 days! Congrats. I haven't had time to read back today. Will catch up and post more tomorrow.
                        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

way to go there TJ!!
                          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

30 days is a huge milestone TJ! Do you feel like this lifestyle change is sustainable? I think it was around that time I realized I wanted to quit forever.
                            Newbies Nest
                            Toolbox
                            My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nice work TJ you inspire others with your success!
                              Rahul I think your friend was looking for a reason to drink and when he saw you abstain he was better off for it.
                              Available you're sounding strong! The journal is a great idea.
                              Sanchez your planning will pay off. I made AF punch for my first two social situations, got an awful sugar headache but stayed AF!
                              BH I've heard of tough mudder, wow that's a real challenge!

What is a functional alcoholic? I think that's sort of an oxymoron.
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

3J, I 'Bing'ed it to see what the definition is, I hear it a lot on this site....
                                The Functional Alcoholic:

Many people think of alcoholics as disheveled, homeless winos who have lost everything, but there are people who meet the criteria for a medical diagnosis for alcohol dependence who are highly functional in society and still have their jobs, homes and families. This type of drinker is known as a functional alcoholic.
                                They rarely miss work and other obligations because of their drinking, although it does happen occasionally, and they usually excel at their jobs and careers. Typically, they are clever and witty individuals who are successful in many areas of their lives. To all but those who are closest to them, they give the outward appearance of being perfectly normal.

Denial Is a Problem
                                One of the main reasons that alcoholics seek help for their drinking problems is the eventual negative consequences of their alcohol consumption. When the pain or embarrassment gets bad enough, they can no longer deny that their drinking needs to be addressed.
                                For the functional alcoholic, the denial runs deep, because they have yet to encounter outward negative consequences. They go to work every day. They haven't suffered financially. They have never been arrested. They don't have a problem!

But There Is a Problem
                                The functional alcoholic consumes as much alcohol as any "full-blown" alcoholic, they just don't exhibit the outward symptoms of intoxication. This is because they have developed a tolerance for alcohol to the point that it takes more for them to feel the effects (including hangovers). Consequently, they must drink increasingly larger amounts to get the same "buzz" they want.
                                This slow build-up of alcohol tolerance means the functional alcoholic is drinking at dangerous levels that can result in alcohol-related organ damage, cognitive impairment and alcohol dependence. Chronic heavy drinkers can display a functional tolerance to the point they show few obvious signs of intoxication even at high blood alcohol concentrations, which in others would be incapacitating.

UGG...this was ME! The more I read, the happier I am that I got off this ride!!! Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X