Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well, not as well as I had hoped

I had 2 beers, only because my hubby had beer in the house. (He drinks like 6 beers a year) Normally I'd stop on the way home and get a bottle of wine, so, I felt good that I was able to skip that, but bad that I was lured in by the siren song of the beer, but I feel a little better that I only had two. Follow all that? LOL! What's getting me is the thought of NEVER DRINKING EVER AGAIN. I have to admit it, I like drinking.

I started drinking when I was 16, just here and there, then more when I was 18 (legal age at the time - I grew up in Wisconsin where everyone drinks) and then married my HS sweetheart who turned into an ugly drunk/drug abuser and all that goes with that. 22 years later, I left (takes me a while to get the drift). Then my drinking was only moderate.

Then I met and married the love of my life and he died 24 days later. That started a huge downward spiral and I was drunk every night. I essentially became a hermit except for the day job. I remarried 5 years ago and have been able to not drink every night and limit my drinking episode, most times, to a bottle of wine. (Which to me doesn't seem like much to me, but would freak out a normal person) I drink on the sly and for the most part my husband (a cop!) can't tell. I try to have my non-drinking days be the ones when he is home but sometimes the cravings are overwhelming - sooo.... that's why I started on the Baclofen and I have high hopes for it.

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone, y'all are awesome.

-P.
    Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
    That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
    Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
    Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi chook, good to see you, hope you're fully recovered from the flu. I've been around, but mainly posting on the navigators thread. Had a bit of a struggle but back now and trying again!
      Lav you are the bestest nest mum, thanks for being there for us all.
      Yes where is Beags? Hope things are ok in Beagland.
      Welcome newcomers - pull up a twig and settle in. Lav always leaves a nightlight on so it doesnt matter if you come in late
      Sooty

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters,

Hope you are all well & haven't ventured too far from the nest

Wow MM, moving into Day 6 tomorrow, that's great Keep going.........it's worth the effort

Phoenix, I am sorry that you have had such pain in your past! I'm learning though that in order to heal we have to put the past away and only look forward. I spent an enormous amount of time wishing my past, my reactions & behavior away..........it was just a waste of time. Life has improved since finding MWO & taking the necessary steps to move forward. I'm sure you can do the same but you do need to commit yourself. I had a bit of a time accepting the thought of never drinking again too. But that doesn't concern me anymore because I've gained so much since going AF! I guess you have to weigh the pros & cons.

Well, I'm settling on my twig for the night now. Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Of course, I'll leave the night light on for the night birds
        Be well!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

halo

:new:hi friendzzz
          its me Camelia
          i m frm Pak-Karachi
          I m
          VeRi VeRi CuTe :
          KiNd hEarTeD
          sHwEeT
          fReNdLyYy ;D
          lovAbLe :-*
          AwEsOme 8)
          sHoO shOo nIcE
          iNtElLiGeNt 8)
          cArInN :
          In short,
          Attractive Iz Ma Face
          Character Iz Ma Gr8
          Sweet Iz Ma Smile
          N Unique iz Ma StyLe
          Thizz Iz ALL AboUt Me ;D
          :thanks:
          Wireless Fence For Dogs
          Wireless dog fence

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all.

Welcome Camelia. Quite an intro - you kind of got the reverse-ts-elliot capitalization thing going on. veRy kOoL!

Hey. As I recall MightyMouse can fly pretty quick - if we could catch a draft off him we could be down in oz for the l'il chooksters' blast in no time. Good job on day 5 Mighty. Keep it going.

Phoenix. I know what you mean about the thought of no al 'evermore. I moderate, which for me means abstaining most of the time. Only drank one day last week - had a few (four-five over about four hours) last Saturday night. To be honest, it hurt a little getting up Sunday am, and that feeling is really starting to feel rotten to me. I'm working toward drinking even less - and not at all some weeks. Honestly, right now I'd rather have none at all than having just one or two drinks - mod'ing isn't easy - so I'm not your poster-child for moderating. And I didn't try it until I went a whole month without drinking at all first - had to clear my head out first.

'nuf fer now - take care all.
            tw
            Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Welcome Camilia! Find yourself a comfortable twig & settle in the nest with us!

Tranq, I'm with you on the mod'ing isn't easy belief. I won't even try now because I'm sure I would just screw up! My health & happiness are worth so much more than a few glasses of wine

I have a busy day planned for myself but will be back later, as always!
              Wishing everyone a terrific Thursday.
              Be well.

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, I had a bottle of wine last night. I need to not go to the grocery store after work because the temptation is too great. I think I will be ok tonight, I am going up in dose in my baclofen and that always makes me sleepy. Plus, I just got a good book from the library and want to read it vs falling asleep at 8:00.
                Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi to all,

Pheonix, I agree with what everyone else said. For me, the more AF days I'm getting the more I like it. but I only started nov 8th. don't know what forever is either but I'm learnning and grateful for the knowledge I have gotten here. Im starting too find my old self and she is feeling and looking pretty good. I too had quite alot of deaths and trauma the past 10 years. I thought I needed AL to get me through but now I see I was fooling myself and just created a habit that I have to break. Hang in there, any day AF is a good one

Chook, Hows your crazy week going?

more later, MM

Comment

Newbies Nest

You're right Lav - it's sometimes hard to recognize from inside this hard head of mine how much value I placed on al. It went with anything, was the perfect start or finish to anything - bottled joy so it seemed. But so not true, especially while I was waking up without the joy I thought I was getting, and feeling the guilt and frustration of not being strong enough to handle it. From what I've learned, and all I've read here, it seems to me that al fools us with a promise of happiness that is never really fulfilled. And worse, it steals so much time, health and fleeting opportunities for real joy.

Mighty, conrats on your af days! It sounds like you're doing great.

Phoenix, like Lav always says quitting is a process not a destination. You know that a slip-up is an opportunity to learn and adjust the plan. Sounds like you're doing just that! Hang in there.

Hi to Sooty, Chooks and anyone else hanging, or perching around or whatever...

Gotta run - take care all!
                    tw
                    Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone!

Day 5 for me again (went 6 days last week) and I'm feeling really good about myself. I've come to realize that it isn't going to happen overnight - it's going to be a long process. 8 years of drinking almost every day is a hard habit to break.

Hang in there Pheonix - I still have most of a box + 1 bottle of wine in my basement and I am bound and determined not to go down there tonight! I know everyone says I should take the temptation away and maybe I will at some point - just haven't done it yet.

MM - like you I think my problem is a really bad habit - the reason I think that is because I'm not having any withdrawal symptoms at all - believe me - not bragging - in fact I'm shocked that I'm not going through something. What's there is just the temptation to have that one glass of wine. I'm fighting it and I hope all of you will do the same!

I look forward to waking up in the morning without the awful guilt I usually have!

Goodnight everyone and take care!
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I did it!

AF tonight and feeling mighty good about it. Thanks everyone for your support. Y'all are awesome!!

-P.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Late night check in Nesters!

I was without internet for about 5 hrs. - horrors!!

Phoenix, it sounds like you did indeed learn a valuable lesson. You will be OK as long as you keep putting one foot in front of the other, in the right direction. I'm glad you made the decision to not drink tonight

MM, you're doing well, can feel your strength growing each day!

Tranq, the longer we hang around here the smarter we get - is that right, is that how it works?????

Jolie, congrats on your 5 days - good for you! Are you sure you want to keep that wine in the house? I'm sure there's a friend or neighbor willing to take it off your hands! Seriously, do whatever you can, give yourself every chance to succeed & meet your goal.

It's near 11 pm, I need to end my day.
                          Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                          Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good night to all.

Sweet dreams and clear morning brains!

Luv, MM

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey

Hello my friends......haven't been here in a while. I see there are many new faces in the nest, which brings joy to my heart. For you newcomers, I 'created the nest' a long time ago and am proud to see you all utilizing it so well in the supportive way it was intended. For you 'oldies', thank you for your ongoing support and leadership.
                              I am doing well. This Sunday (11/22) is my 50th birthday....a BIGGIE in my life. I see you/we are approaching 4,000 posts....be proud, each of you for your dedication to your efforts and this thread. You are the ones who make it work. I appreciate and value you all.
                              Pops......and G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters!

Pops & G - so good to see you!
                                Wishing you a very Happy 50th!!!! :bday7:
                                Wow, 4000 posts - we talk a lot!

Having a busy Friday here - out of bed & right to work this morning for me!

Will check back later - see how everyone's doing!
                                Enjoy your day!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X