Anyone else notice.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The better you get to feeling the more you want to drink? I find that when I get to feeling better and starting to forget how bad I felt when drinking that I start to think it might be OK.

Yup. Sure do.
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Yes... that happens to most of us, I think. Certainly, it has happened to me! It's just the alcoholic mind/brain trying to talk you into a drink...

Here's the question: what do you do when those thoughts begin presenting themselves? Do you have some tactics for dealing with that situation? The simplest of all, and one of my favorites, is just to silently say to myself: "I don't drink." Then move on to something else. There are lots of ideas in the "Tool Box" thread; the key thing is to recognize what is really happening, and be prepared to deal with it!

Comment

You know what? That ALWAYS would happen to me. I'd wake up on a Monday morning feeling like crap from drinking during the weekend.......well into Sunday night and I would vow not to drink that week. But then by the end of the week.....Friday'ish I'd be feeling better then back at it again. Only for the cycle to repeat itself. But for some reason this time round I am feeling great and have been for 1 week now (AF for 2 weeks) and don't want to drink at this point. I guess I am embracing how good I feel and want to keep going. I find that I am in a much better mood in the mornings the last few days and I'm loving it. I used to wake up so grumpy! Embrace the feeling good Hoos!

Comment

I know the feeling well. I think it is also why alot of people do the "every other day" drinking. Feel poorly after an AL night, kick it for one day, feel better the next, drink.... and on and on it goes. Another one is to wake up feeling horrid, swear never to drink again, by evening you feel fine, so have some beverages. I like to swim alot, and it makes me feel great, and after my long swims is when I want to drink. I've put the kaibosh on that lately though. I've managed to banash those thoughts the last couple of weeks. It's all a mind set I think.
          Best to you!!
          xo peanut

Comment

There were many times when I would go and workout very hard at the gym. And as soon as I would get out, then I would just love a glass of wine! There were times I even went to the gym buzzed. Now I think thats just kinda crazy.
            I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

oh boy do i!

i'm at two weeks and i feel so good that my brain says, wow wine would be so nice right now...and then i go read the "what i hate despise, etc. about alcohol" thread in monthly abstainers and i remember how bad i felt when i came here and know that i do not want to ever feel that way again.

Comment

Peanut;521184 wrote: I know the feeling well. I think it is also why alot of people do the "every other day" drinking. Feel poorly after an AL night, kick it for one day, feel better the next, drink.... and on and on it goes. Another one is to wake up feeling horrid, swear never to drink again, by evening you feel fine, so have some beverages. I like to swim alot, and it makes me feel great, and after my long swims is when I want to drink. I've put the kaibosh on that lately though. I've managed to banash those thoughts the last couple of weeks. It's all a mind set I think.
                Best to you!!
                xo peanut
                yes, mind set...i like that

Comment

Definitely know the feeling. Like Peanut I like to workout but for me it's running and now with the snow it's cross-country skiing. I come home feeling refreshed and full of energy. Nothing sounds better to me than a nice drink, problem is it was never just one drink. The one drink would lead to many. Then the next day I'd feel like dirt and go out for a workout to kill my guilt from sabotaging my workout from the previous day.

Today is day 23 AF for me and I'm feeling great. My wife and son just went out for a drink and I would have loved to join them but I did something else instead. It's tough especially with drinkers in the house but going AF is something we are doing for ourselves.

So like WIP says go on to doing something else when these thoughts pop up. It is all about staying away from the first drink.

Keep working at it and keep posting.

Comment

I lived that weekly cycle for so long, once I started to feel better i would think that I didn't have a problem anymore and would eagerly await the weekend when I could have my next drink. Now I know that I cannot have just one drink, it would turn into a binge. After almost 3 weeks AF I know that it is possible to feel great and not just good. I like to think about all the people out there enjoying their lives and doing things without needing AL. I want to be like them.

I also agree about the thing with exercising and drinking afterwards. I once ran a half-marathon, drank 3 big glasses of water, 1 can of coke, and then hit the AL for the rest of the day. Crazy.

Comment

Hey

Yeah I hear you. You forget about the dry heaves in the morning, the panic attacks, insomnia, headache etc. Just like smoking when you stop coughing and can breathe again you light up again. I hate being an addict I really do. Have a good night my friend.
                      Starting over again
                      ray:

Comment

Your so right........But we can fight it !! IAD.
                        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                        Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'm right there with you! If I wasn't drinking every day then I was doing the every other day cycle-feel bad don't drink, feel good drink etc...

I'm also a drinker after exercise. There was nothing better than a glass of wine after yoga, but for me that glass ends up being bottles

It's hard because the things that distract me from AL & make me feel good-exercise, cleaning, calling a friend...-are also my triggers The ToolBox on this forum has helped me tremendously and so far I am 16 days AF!

Comment

same here....

After a fews days, I begin to think, "Oh, I was not THAT bad....maybe one won't hurt." HA! We know where that leads. I just can't do it.

Hey, IAD--love your pictures--how do you do that?

Comment

Yes, me too. That's the beast talking again saying, "Hey, dude. You're fine. You can handle a drink. Look how good ya feel! You deserve it." Tell him to "F**K OFF!" And I liked someones post above. They go to the threads that remind them of the horrible things AL does to us. Keep strong.
                              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                              X