Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here - questions about baclofen and others...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:new:

I'm new here. Have been researching baclofen and other recommended drugs to help reduce alcohol cravings. I just finished quitting smoking using Chantix - which was a completely horrible experience, except for the fact that I did manage to actually quit smoking (4 months now!). But the side effects were - and still are - pretty bad. I became completely depressed, suicidal, crazy stuff mostly at night, panic attacks, etc. I'm now on Lorazapam to try to level this out. It helps, but need to get off Lorazapam as well. And the amount I'm drinking is just going up and up and up. A bottle of wine plus 3 - 4 jd's most nights. I can manage to drink less when in situations where required, but not when on my own. Oh, and when trying to quit smoking a few years ago, had bad reactions to Welbutrin - hives, etc.

So...scared about trying Nal or bac - but also very encouraged by everything I've read. Would love to drink "like I use to", i.e. at social occaissions, just on weekends, and in much more moderation.

Has anyone had experiences with Chantix or welbutrin? Also, how do you find a doctor that agrees with this approach to moderating and/or abstaining from alcohol?

Thanks.
    Karla

Hello Karla and a big WELCOME!

Unfortunately, I can't really shed any light on your question, although, I am taking Chantix as well - but with little side effects (odd dreams/occasional difficulty sleeping is about as bad as it gets). I do not take any other meds.

I'm sure there will be plenty of others able to give you more insight.

Again, welcome, and best of luck!
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Welcome Karla. I have tried them both and bought them on line from Riverpharmacy.I couldn't get any Doctor to listen ( that would be the ideal way to do it) so I had to figure it out myself and buy on line. I have found that the naltrexone took my desire to drink away in a matter of days. i had liver pains with it so wouldn't even consider to take it other than to break the pattern. Baclofen is more a maintenance med that I feel safe taking over the long term and use it if that ALCOHOLIC voice starts speaking to me. I use a low dose of 5m ..3 times per day and the voice telling me to drink, SHUTS UP in a few days...Hope this helps and hope you find a good Doctor to help you with this..
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Evie,

I didn't know that about Baclofen, thanks for the info!

Be
        "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Working...
        X