I cant believe I am doing this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Liath, I am 26, F and also grew up trying to keep up with the boys and succeeded to the point of outdrinking the lot of them! This I thought was a very 'cool ' feat but have now realised it to be beyond ridiculous as my body was A: not designed like a mans and should not try to be B: Not designed to pump poison into it! I always thought that my life would be boring/I would lose friends etc if I gave up the drink. It cannot be further from the truth, you GAIN life, energy ! It does though take time to rebuild those foundations. I read the most profound ,beautiful things the other day that really made me think about where I was really going, I cannot remember the exact wording ...It was basically how when you leave this world you meet your maker, you stand naked and alone and all you can take with you is what you have given away in your life. Wonderful! I don't want to stand there with nothing realising that i have lived a very selfish existence. No way!
    I wish you all the best Liath, You can do this!!!!!!
    A book that really helped me is Allen Carr's. easy way to control alcohol. He is amazing. He stopped me smoking with his easy way to stop smoking book. He is my Guru ha ha.
    Private message me anytime , if you feel the need!
    Sara : ):h
    Sober since Jan 17th 09
    Smoke free since 20th Nov 08 :H

Comment

I agree with Wannbe free. If your friend's don't *get it* get new friends.

The main thing is to remember that *we* are wired differently and have no AL 'off' switch.
      I am sure I was just born this way and perhaps many of us were. I get some weird looks when I decline a drink....but I could care less. :H

Comment

savon19;539791 wrote: OH gosh, Florida Boy -- I may have to steal your avatar!! Me to a TEE.

Liath, when I first posted here, I don't think I had had 2 days sober in a row in... forever. While I haven't been doing that well lately, I also have had at least 2 times with two WEEKS AF, and I am Sure it was due to the support I found here.

Posting here forced me to admit to myself that I had a serious problem. That is the first step, as "they" say! Now I need to take myself seriously!!
        I found it Googling Avatars. It is not really mine. :goodjob: on the 2 weeks. Keep going, you CAN do it. You will continue to feel better and will not want to 'go back'.

Comment

Hi Guys. Its friday and I made it past the liquor store without going inside. I haven't had 4 days AF for years, until today. My head hurts and my anxiety level is high but its nothing compared to the hangovers that have left me feeling like death. On the weekends my friends and I would often go out to 'brunch' AKA bloody marys at noon after a bender on the weekends. I swear most of my friends would go home and sober up but often I would keep right on drinking through the day. The only thing worse than a hangover is a 2 day hangover!

I have accepted that I will have to stay away from my friends for a while. Nobody likes to lose their drinking buddy. If everyone is doing it, it must be OK. Unfortunately, all of my social activities involve drinking. I will need to change a lot. I am a very social person. Or so I thought. Its hard to say who I am without AL. I was quite shy once apon a time. Oh well, time to find out who I really am.

By the way, I was so excited to check this thread after work that I found it easy to resist temptation today so please keep writing to me!
          Liath

Comment

Hi Liath congratulations on passing by the liquor store, and making it for 4 days AF. You don't say where you are but if you are around later you might want to check out the MWO chat. It's very sociable there and a lot of fun.
            vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

I have the weekend off and nothing but time. I will check it out.
              Liath

Comment

" Its hard to say who I am without AL. I was quite shy once apon a time. Oh well, time to find out who I really am."

You may just find that you really like who you are w/o AL...the real you. :goodjob:

Comment

FloridaBoy-

I have known in the back of my mind for quite some time that I have not been true to myself. But change is scary. I have done many other things in the past 16 years besides drink, yet slowly, the drinking has crept in to be a part of almost everything I do outside of work and school. I read somewhere on this site that many of us dont have social activities that dont involve drinking anymore. Its sad because there is so much more to life. Day 5. Yeahhhh!
                  Liath

Comment

Welcome Liath! I also wish I hadn't created such a drug/alcohol fueled decade in my 20's. But it is the past. Today I am thinking clearly, rationally with one and a half months without a drink. It is hardest at the beginning after the new start/new life phase excitement wears off. But over the long term, which I am obviously still working on, life is good and seems to get better! Stick with us. I did my master's degree on line with the glass (or 2 or 3...oh what the heck...a bottle) of wine every night. It is not something I would recommend...I was miserable, stressed, procrastinated, submitted papers that could have been much better and lacked the self-confidence needed to go further. You know what you need to do for your Ph.D.!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X