Have you noticed any little gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have this recurring experience that everytime I make a commitment in my heart that I really want to stop drinking, and I work on it, that the minute I make that commitment good things start happening to me. Examples...

I'm driving behind someone that I want to go around, but I tell myself to relax and then two seconds later that car changes lanes out of my way.
    I get an unexpected refund check in the mail.
    I get a response from an old friend to a letter I wrote three months ago.
    I went to the store to buy an item that was on sale, it was sold out but I found the last one in a completely different part of the store.

Things like this happen to me all the time when, in my heart, I'm trying to quit drinking. But, mark my words, good things happen about 5 or 10 times more frequently when I'm trying to live sober than when I'm not. I've actually paid attention. I've even tried having a really positive, believing attitude when I was drinking, but it just didn't do the trick. You can say it's just my attitude, but I'm telling you, my attitude doesn't make checks appear in the mail.

I just think it's interesting that as difficult it is to stop drinking, these "little gifts" are like a way of making things better.

Has anyone else ever noticed a phenomenon like this? If so, please share.
    Still Fighting
    "If it is to be, it is up to me" -R Stayer
    "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin

LOL.... nope, not really.... I would SO welcome unexpected cheques!
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

YEAH!

Still--I have noticed some things in the last few months. Seriously--like little old ladies in the pharmacy whom I am sure are my grandma reincarnated. Like green-haired, black-clothed teens who open the door at the store for me?
      Like the freaky kid at the coffee shop who brought in a homeless man and fed him?
      Life is full of surprising gifts if we open our eyes. Life gives us pain--but also joy. I HAVE TO BELIEVE THAT AND FIND THAT!

SUNSHINE--oh, yes, my dear! Those gifts are yours! In so many many ways! We here at MWO are so very thankful that your recent incidents and injuries and problems were not too harmful to you--that you are alive and healthy and here to be with us. I am thankful today that you are healthy and strong--sore and cranky--but here with us! :h:l

YES--these are miracles and special events and we need to notice them.:h:h

Comment

HEY! I am NOT cranky anymore! Dammit! :durn:
        Heheheh...

Yes, of course, there are ALWAYS things to be thankful for... but that those things have anything to do with the decision or act of staying AF... well, that's a bit far fetched for me.

Comment

little gifts

Hey I found .40 at Shoprite today. Also rec'd return address labels in the mail from the ASCPA. It just doesn't get any better than that. :H:H:H:H
          Starting over again
          ray:

Comment

And all because you didn't drink, last call! Of course! Makes perfect sense! LOL

Still, if you receive little gifts because of your sobriety... I'm terribly happy for you! And, even if they don't happen because of your sobriety but somehow help keep you on that path... way cool!

Comment

That's right! :banana:
              Starting over again
              ray:

Comment

I love those free return address labels -- yes I know you are supposed to donate to their cause......

Comment

Little miracles happen all the time - sometimes we just don't notice. I always feel a higher power is looking after me.
                  I'll never forget the time I was backpacking through the Middle East, I made it by the skin of my teeth onto my flight (from Egypt to Israel to catch flight) with no money, and then I found the exact correct amount of change to catch the bus to where some friends would look after me when I was back in London - down to the penny. Oh, and I just realised I'd been 3 months AF at the time as I was in a muslim country - ha, that was a little miracle realising that after all these years!!!!
                  Thanks Still Fighting!!
                  xo

Comment

Sounds like the "Law of Attraction"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbNJMUZSwo[/video]]YouTube - The Chaser's War on Everything - The Secret
                    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                    - George Jackson

Comment

I was able to give a gift to someone because I was sober. An old lady was lost - on foot in the hot sun and way too far past her destination, in back streets - so I was able to drive her to where she needed to go.
                      Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                      AF May 23 09 to July 09
                      AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Yes...I also truly believe. Drinking, drinking, depression, bad stuff or nothing happening at all. Four days sober and I receive a contract on a property I'm selling and a phone call that my son received a scholarship for college! Oh happy day!!!

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

To me, drinking creates depression. When I'm depressed, I don't notice the "little things in life". I'm too self-absorbed. So, in a sense, I agree with the little gifts idea. My depression lifts when I'm not drinking and I notice, and appreciate, little things more.

Oh yeah, I also believe in the Law of Attraction!
                          "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

The gift I was given since I have been AF was that I wasn't drinking when my sister had to go to the hospital ER. I was able to drive there to be with her. Normally, I would have been drinking too much to drive. That's a great gift!!! Oh and I got a bunch of coupons in the mail. LOL
                            RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

Well .......... the gifts I notice are not waking up scared feeling sick and sort of doing better at running my life, step by step. It is definitely worth the effort !!
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X