The Next Day Thread Tuesday 24 Feb 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and welcome to The Next Day. This is a thread for all Aussie timezone people or thereabouts or for nightowls on the other side.

I decided to start this thread after being a participant in The Army and usually being too late (ie the next day) to join in the banter. Everyone was ready for bed and I was just getting up.

So after discussion with Zenny, we decided on this name for our thread. If anyone has any better suggestions please feel free to put them forward.

Pan.
    Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
    AF May 23 09 to July 09
    AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Well, what am I doing today? I'll head on down to the beach and wash my incontinent dogs as usual. They are 8yo sisters and it's really strange, but while they are asleep during the night they don't wet the bed. It's when they are just dozing during the day or evening.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
    Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
    AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Hello Panicked

I have the same - 2 incontinent dogs (male & female)! They "strike" at any time. I got some meds from my holistic vet, but she also recommended a couple of sage leaves a day for the female (too early for me to say if it's working yet). You might want to try that on top of anything else you do!

Comment

Hi Panicked and Blondie -

No dog stories here but I can state that all five cats who found me have never had any contretemps inside the house. Yay!

Preparing for another hot day on Friday and for once I can't wait for the calm sanity of autumn. I'm down to about quarter of a tank of water; no rain in sight.

Be well, all Kiwis and Aussies.

Comment

Thanks Blondie. Sage leaves huh? Dunno, they don't seem to like anything green, except grass. But I'll give it a go. Vet next. Do your dogs wee smell REALLY PUTRID? Like REALLY REALLY BAD?
          Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
          AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Hi Tawny Frog. Five cats? My dogs are really ashamed when they wet their bed, they just can't help it.

Another hot day on Friday must mean Melbourne, I guess. The fact that you mentioned Friday in particular. It's hot here everyday.

Do you get your water tankered in to fill up?
            Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
            AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

P - I'm in rural Central Vic, usually hotter than Melb. Water bloke can't deliver until next week so fingers crossed that no new stuff will break out.

OK - lunch is over; I'm going back outside.

Comment

Tawny, I used to live in Shepp. Have the fires been close to you?
                Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Hey Zenny. I was hoping you'd join in. It's good that Blondie and Tawny have found the thread.

I just finished mowing the lawn. Found a tiny baby cane toad trying to escape. Yuk! Hate em. And they're poisonous to dogs. Anyway, it didn't quite manage it's escape. That's one more that won't grow up.
                  Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                  AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Where did my message go??!!

Anyway, Panicked, my male dog's pee is rancid as is his breath (as he tries to lick things up before he wets his bed!) but I am putting that down to him recently being diagnosed with cancer as it wasn't bad before. But that said, he is drinking loads due to the hot weather, so that's a factor in his leaky pipe!

Tawns, I was just thinking this morning as I watered my veges yet again, I can't wait for winter and RAIN!! There's supposed to be some rain tomorrow here but all we've been managing is virga (just heard the weathermen use this and I love it - never heard of it before!). Do you have a dam or another source of water on your property? (I guess it'd be dried up now anyway!)
                    Off to pick my veges for my garden salad.

Comment

Bondie, sorry to hear about your dog's cancer. One of mine was diagnosed about 2 years ago and given 2-4 years. She is still fine though. My husband thought it might be the cancer returning, but both of them have the same problem, so my guess is just old age. Not that 8 is that old.

I wish mine would lick things up BEFORE. They do it after they've wet the bed and then fight each other for the dry spot.

Thanks for the geography lesson. I couldn't help it, I had to Google virga.
                      Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                      AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Virga is any form or precipitation that doesn’t reach the ground. There could be rain virga or snow virga. But in either case, the precipitation evaporates somewhere on the journey from clouds toward earth. Virga, which is spelled v-i-r-g-a, is pretty common and you’ve probably seen it but didn’t know it had a special name. Mostly in the summer, virga can be seen falling away in streaks from the bottom of one of those puffy gray and white cumulus clouds on a crisp afternoon. It looks like a torn drape or a curtain hanging from the cloud, but only down about halfway to the ground below. Sometimes the air thousands of feet above the ground is moist enough to produce clouds and rain at the same time that the air closer to the ground is as dry as a bone. So when rain falls in these conditions it evaporates on its freefall to earth. So virga is technically virgin precipitation and its easy to spot its wispy form seemingly hanging in the air beneath its parent cloud.
                        Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                        AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

By the way Zen, I didn't write that. I cut and pasted my Google search.

Cane Toad. Menace. Poisonous sacs on back. Introduced to Qld to get rid of Sugar Cane Beetles and is spreading out of control. You see them flattened on the road all over the place. I don't usually flatten them. I spray with Dettol. The one I got this morning tho, had to go quickly because the dogs had spotted it.
                          Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                          AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Hey Zen, give me humidity any day over dry heat. I live in Qld some of the year. Then I have to go back to Central West NSW. Almost the Outback. That is really horried, hot, dry and disgusting. I liken it to opening up a fan forced oven. Hottest temp so far this year? 48 degrees. My husband is living there on his own at the moment.
                            Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                            AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Well, I'm 21 days AF today, so probably 24 days or so.

Yeah, my windows and doors are open all day and night until I retire. It's about 23-30 every day at the moment. Average temp annually is 21-27.
                              Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                              AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Working...
                              X