Two steps forward, one step back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a middle age American living in South America. I have two beautiful sons . I am recently divorced . One of the reasons for my divorce was my use of AL as a calming bridge between cultural differences between myself, and my very hot blooded latin wife. As time went on, my use of AL to take off the edge, became habit. I realize that this behavior of functioning at 80% can not continue. I want my full life back. For the last year , I have sworn to give up drinking 4 times now, but somehow have always been able to convince myself that I can drink a little and control it. Usually, within a week or two I am back to drinking small amounts all day long.

How to take the final step , and not look back ?

Hello and Welcome Expat
    I began with downloading the book and reading it, then I stocked up on the supplements. The L-Glutamine is very helpful to me for cravings. I cannot take the meds or the kudzu due to low blood pressure and digestive problems, but many here stay sober without meds. For me the most important part is in the posting and reading. The human support, even if it is Cyberspace. You can take back you life and we are here to help on another.
    "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

It's the Aztec two step.....Ha! You can get over it. Keep trying ! IAD
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Welcome Expat,

This is a very supportive place. Read and post often. There is a toolbox thread in the monthly abstinence section which I found very helpful. You can get your life back. There is hope.
        AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Hi Expat -- a most important step is the one you seem to have taken. That is a realization that you cannot drink. For me and so many others, one drink is never enough. And inevitably, one drink leads to full blown boozing. It is hard, very hard to get the fact through our heads that we, we alcoholics, cannot drink, never, ever. This site is a great way to help get out of the grips of alcohol. Come here often and please post. We care about you and there is safety in numbers. Good luck and God Bless.
          Matt

Comment

welcom,it tis a lot of work to stop,but if one wants to dabble,in fire,one gets burnt,you sound like you have a wonderful family,youve seem to have lost your wife,unless you settle down and learn how to slow down,you mite lose the boys to,thats one fate,there are a lot of options,lot of fine people here,including myself,hahaha,thought id thrrow a bit of humor in,slow and easy,is the only way.good luck to you gyco

Comment

Welcome XP

Hopefully not all is lost with your wife. You want make things better for your family, so that's wonderful and this forum is a great place to start.

Lots of us have made the dreaded promise to STOP and many of us are still trying.

A vast number of us have managed to Quit and stay AF. There are so many beneficial methods here at MWO to assist you in your journey and the support is phenominal.

Read as much as you can as often as you can. I find visiting here daily has helped me tremendously in so many ways.

So welcome aboard this wonderful ship of hopes and aspirations.

God Bless . . .

Comment

Welcome EX,

You have found a wonderful place. I agree with what has been written here. Read and post often. I have learned that I am not alone. These people here have been so wise and inspire me to be AF

Best of luck to you.
                RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

Working...
                X