can I make it to four days AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just praying my husband does not bring alcohol home tonight! I can never seem to make it past three days...I always seem to drink on that fourth night. He knows how hard I'm trying but I guess tonight will really be a test!
    "One day at a time. Messy bed, Messy head."
    March 13, 2012

Goal #1: 7 days 3/19/12 DONE
    Goal #2: 15 days 3/27/12
    Goal #3: 30 days 4/11/12
    Goal #4: 60 days 5/11/12
    Goal #5: 90 days 6/10/12
    Goal #6: 6 months
    Goal #7: 1 year

Can you call and talk about it with him and ask him not to?

Comment

Good point! Yes, I could call, but he has been so defensive about it. Sometimes he'll just sneak it in and then I will ask if he got anything and he will be kind of quiet which will indicate that he did.

It's like a part of me will hope he did and a part of me will hope he did not. I know that I am not making the effort to go out and buy it and if he did not buy it, I would not be drinking it! I seriously think I would drink 50% less if it were not for him!

I wish he was on the same page as I am to stop this nonsense!
      March 13, 2012

Comment

I know for me, and for some others I have talked to on here over the last several months, that the third day is the hardest for some reason. Once I figured that out, and why (I did some research behind the physiology of it) I told my husband about it and asked for his help so that I could make it four days. That was a big victory for me, four days. I found out that I could do it and it made all the difference.

Remember that there a lot of us out here who have struggled with that third day. You can do it. Focus on how you want to feel, what you want to do, on the morning of the FOURTH day.

Comment

He did not bring home alcohol! He brought home sushi! yay!!! So AF for four days!!!!
          March 13, 2012

Comment

AWESOME hope, you go!!!!!
            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
            - George Jackson

Comment

Hope,

For some reason day 4 was always the hardest for me, too. I've spent a lot of money shopping on day 4!

Take care,
              Be
              "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

That is so good ... My dh is being my biggest help right now and he's not drinking either which for him is almost a miracle. I hope you're have a great day.
                Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
                Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
                Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
                AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
                Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Good for you! Sushi is WAY better!!

Rather than starting a new thread I thought to post it here! Woo Hoo, :danthin: I just got through the toughest 4 hours I have had yet! (today is my day 4). I started freaking out at like 4PM. Even put my shoes on and keys in bag ready to get some. (heard some super stressful thing from work which set me off). I was going to post on here in the ASAP thread but did some dishes, came back, was going to go out and then someone else called. Came back to post and (sick as I am) was thinking that if did a post that meant I WOULDN'T get what I wanted so for that reason I didn't post (obviously was not looking for real help, hey, I wanted my fix). Well, turns out as the minutes passed with other things I somehow got through my witching hour.

Wow, this was the toughest day yet. I don't know if I can do it again if it is like this. How am I going to do tomorrow night??? I have dinner plans at the local bar and grill (free coupons). Ugh, I will try ordering diet coke or something but I hope I can follow through. I might be posting in crisis tomorrow....oh well, ODAT!!!

Comment

Physical Addiction

Hope, I have spent alot of time in AA. The physical addiction lasts up to 5 days that is why you cant make it past 4. I would find a way to talk to your husband and get him to stop bringing alcohol home...maybe you can get past the physical addiction. The mental thing is a whole other story.

Comment

Hope, day 4 is where I slip up too - and did, yesterday, and am regretting it now, big time. So glad you got through day 4! And Coda, you too! Just hope I can get to 4 and beyond this time

Comment

Days 4 and 5 were the hardest . . . and I had a lot of day 4 and day 5s in my struggle. Sometimes I made it to 5 and 6, sometimes I didn't. The important thing is to keep trying.

Staying busy is so important. Get yourself away from your triggers. Mine was being at home at 4:00 - 5:00. I'd start thinking about cooking dinner while daughter did homework and I just wanted something for ME to get through the next few hours. Get outside, move, go somewhere. Come on this site, dance, chew gum. Eat pickles - the salty tartness was helpful to me - hard to crave red wine with that taste in my mouth.

Y'all are doing great . . . and remember this board is here for you and help is just a mouse-click away!
                        Member since January 2008
                        AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

I've been mixing myself a virgin ceaser during the witching hour and it's helped greatly. Tastes just the same without the alcohol. Tonight is gonna be tough, getting company for the weekend .... we (dh & I) are gonna try ... today is Day 5. Still feel crappy but sober. Hang in there!
                          Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
                          Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                          10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                          2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
                          Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
                          AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
                          Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you for all of the replies. Today is day 6 AF. Going into the night it is a little difficult. My husband has actually been AF I think for just as long! He is picking up his two girls (my step-daughters) so we'll have all three girls this weekend including my three year old whom I share joint custody with my ex-husband, so that is always a chaotic time and a trigger!

This is the thing with me and many of you may think this is soooo weird! For the past two years, I ONLY drink tequila....nothing else and will not drink anything else, but have a major problem with that type of alchol. I went from drinking beer in high school, to pretty much anything and everything in college. After college, I would binge drink about once or twice per week but never really saw a problem with it. Then I married an alcoholic who had been sober and in AA for 13 years. I all of a sudden started sneaking wine and drinking one bottle of wine at a time about twice each week all by myself.

I went through a very nasty divorce three years ago. Two years ago, I met my current husband and for the past two years, I have completely switched from binge drinking wine, to binge drinking tequila. I don't mix it with anything b/c it gives me heartburn or is too sweet. My husband will drink wine or liquor so he knows if he brings wine into the house, he's safe b/c I will not touch it which is a very good thing!!!

He does bring tequila into the house many times though even when I do not ask just b/c I think he does not want to drink alone and wants me to "loosen up." I do wish for the time being, while I am trying to get sober, he would refrain from bringing any type of alcohol into the house though!

Sorry. Long and bizarre story and my spelling may be whacked b/c I'm on topamax!
                            March 13, 2012

Comment

The "chaotic time and a trigger" I am referring to is having all three kids with us for the weekend. I always have my daughter with me but having mixed family and adding two additional kids is always hard!
                              March 13, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X