Alcohol Free Beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol Free Beer?

Hmmm. I just had an AF Becks. It tasted fine, and I enjoyed the feeling of sitting outside watching the storm clouds roll in, with a beer in my hand.

BUT, it feels a bit 'wrong'.

Would be interested to hear anyone elses thoughts/experiences

Bx
    Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Alcohol Free Beer?

Hi Betty. I was worried that AF wine / beer would lead me to the real thing, so I held off for quite awhile trying them - probably about 3 months AF or maybe closer to 4? Anyway...

Wine and vodka were my personal poisons. Funny when I tried AF wines they all tasted like crap to me. I still have a couple of unopened bottles in the garage fridge that I need to pitch. I wasn't much of a beer drinker since the old college days. So I was surprised to find that a cold AF beer tasted really good on a hot sunny day. (obviously none of those recently!!) It also feels "grown up" or something like that on occassion when I'm around others who are drinking beer. Not that I have an issue with not dirnking when other people are - I'm not shy about that. Funny - I was a bottomless pit when it came to AL drinks, but AF beer fills me up. 2 is the right number. On occassions where I have cracked a 3rd one, I end up not being able to finish it.

Anyway...I think AF beer / wine is a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) thing that people have to try on their own. I know I felt the need to be VERY cautious with it, lest it turn out to be a big trigger...so I waited a while before trying.

Best wishes,

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

hi betty,i tried it like the rest,years ago,i found it horrible tasting,but then so was beer the 1st time,i guess it could grow on you.of late ive been really contemplating the naltrexone way,i talked to the pharmacist the other day,cause of the shortage of doctors here,he explained the theory behind the drug,and also cause i went to treatment he found it to be a good idea for a backup,of late ive gotten cravings more then any other time,that i remember,he also said when you take it and drink,it blocks the feeling we get,you can drink with it,but it would be like having a glass of water,what do you think gyco

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

Sweaty, I tried AF beer a few years ago and thought it was just OK. Then again, I'm not much of a beer drinker to begin with, so to me, it's all just OK. I will admit, that after mowing the lawn or gardening on a hot summer day, beer seems to taste pretty good. Better than soda or tea or lemonade. But I don't go for the sweet drinks. That's probably why. I might just give AF beer a go this coming summer. Of course, at 11 degrees F, as it is now, I have no interest in a beer!

Gyco, if you think you need a back up plan (naltrexone), I think you should do it. Do whatever it takes. You may just need to take it temporarily until you get past this rough patch you're in.
        Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

thnx dill,but i dont have a doctor,is it an emergency curious

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

Sweet,

vodka was my personl posion. I only drank beer/wine when I was trying to control my drinking. I've tried the AF wine/beer and found I really didn't like the way they tasted. So for me it wasn't the tast I was missing but the buzz. So I don't even bother with them. I had to be careful with orange juice. That was my mixer and for a long time I couldn't drink it. It tasted too "thick" for me.

What ever you do just be cautious as you are still trying to figure out what your triggers are.
            AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

gyco, Can you get a doctor? You should, of course. Then talk to the doctor about if the prescription would be right for you. It doesn't sound like an emergency to me, but sounds like you are going to have to be extra vigilant and strong for the time being. You've made it this far! Just hang on. You know how valuable your sobriety is to you. Just my 2 cents. Wishing you well!
              Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

Betty

Hey whatever works. I can't stand it, but I don't like beer anyway. I couldn't be bother drinking any non-al drinks because if I didn't get high why bother. That's my sick additive mind speaking. Isn't there suppose to be a slight amt. of al. in them? If so maybe you shld stay away from them.
                Starting over again
                ray:

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

Thanks all. I don't think I'll have any more for a while, it's messing with my head! Bx
                  Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

Hi All
                    Having been a beer drinker I realized it would not be a good idea for me to go to the AF beer.The reason was the trigger aspect.If you drank beer like I did the habit of always having a beer in my hand [even though AF] was not a good idea.I also thought I could hang out with my friends in the bar and drink AF beer.Well in my many attempts in the past it wasn't long before I was back to drinking regular beer.
                    It also stayed as a reward for hard work having that cold beer when done.Well this thinking had to change for me and I realized their was no reason not to just have a soda.I wasn't going to have a 6 pac of 7 up. I did find myself drinking a 6 pac of AF beer if you can believe that.I guess my mind was still after the buzz. We all have to find our own answers . I wanted to rid my life of anything associated with the pleasures i thought drinking brought.You know i am laughing thinking of myself trying to stop drinking while i was drinking a 6 pac of AF beer.I thought that was a good plan.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                    AF 5-16-08
                    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                    AF 5-16-08

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

anymore, i just hate drinking empty calories, so i go for calorie free drinks.

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

Fresca Baby!
                        Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

Caysea - having a little chuckle with you but you know it probably works for some!!
                          I don't like the extra sugar & calories so I'm all for fizzy water with a squeeze of lemon...I'm actually starting to look forward to it at the end of the day, when I used to have a wine.

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

Sweat.....Their is an Industry Standard..... if their is less than1.5% Alcohol then you can call it Alcohol free beer. Did you get a little buzz when you drank it ? Maybe if it was more than one ? That's cause theirs alcohol in it. Just wanted to let you know. IAD.
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Alcohol Free Beer?

Emergency Department

Gyco;560827 wrote: thnx dill,but i dont have a doctor,is it an emergency curious
                              Gyco I understand how difficult it is to get a doctor. I would try the emergency department, but I know here, they will not give a script. They might give you some Naltrexone to start you off tho. It's worth a try maybe. Here the hospital also gives a list of doctors taking new patients.
                              Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                              AF May 23 09 to July 09
                              AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Working...
                              X