the hardest thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the hardest thing

last night i did the hardest thing i've ever done...i dumped half a bottle of Pinot Grigio down the drain. i didn't want to drink it and i felt i had to get rid of it just because of how it made me feel, gross. it made me feel like a loser. so i dumped it out but not beore staring at it for a couple of minutes while a very familiar little devil on my shoulder whispered, "don't, it's a waste. you LOVE pinot! you'll get this thing under control and then you can have it. like, in a couple weeks. don't waste."

but i wasted anyway and then i went to bed.

the hardest thing

:wd:

Well done, Alicia.
    We (well, my better half, really) have a wine cellar - it is now under lock and key. If I had access to it, I would drink it.

And, I don't really think you wasted the vino. You prevented it from doing more damage to you. Welcome and I wish you strength and success on your journey.

Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

the hardest thing

Welcome Alicia!

Well done! I love Pinot Grigio and I would have done the same. On my day one I dumped all the beer in the house down the drain. My husband was a little upset, as he doesn't have an issue with drinking but he understands the alternative--me drinking it.

So here I sit, biding my time, trying not to think about it too much, not deciding now if I want to mod, or go totally AF. I am just taking every day as they come, one day at a time. I always thought that was the cheesiest saying, but they are words I live by now. I am waiting impatiently for my Topa to arrive. I hope it isn't long.

Going to bed after dumping the wine was a good plan. If all else fails and you can't keep occupied, go to bed. Take a Gravol if you must......you will wake feeling better.

Good luck, and know we are all here for you!!!
      AF July 6 2014

Comment

the hardest thing

Hi Alicia

Do you know what I used to do? Take the leftover wine from my bedside table the next morning complete with biscuit crumbs whatever and chill it in the fridge till wine time the next day. That's how much I didn't want to waste it. Pouring it away is HARD but it's a great sign of how your thoughts may be changing. Fight that devil whispering to you and focus on all the things you hate. There's a great thread what I hate and loathe about drinking to get you started on your own list. Good Luck! Jo:goodjob:
        AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

the hardest thing

thanks to everyone who's replied! you guys renew my strength!

Comment

the hardest thing

Good for you, Alicia! Your story (and how many of us identify with it!) really illustrates a central aspect of alcohol dependence, or addiction: the incredible importance, or value, we place on alcohol. It becomes something obscenely precious to a certain part of our brains/minds... and because it has become so precious, so valuable, so important... we let it destroy our lives. For me, the only way to insure that I will not return to that insanity is to be very vigilant about my own thoughts: I can never, ever allow myself to engage in thoughts, fantasies, or daydreams about how "nice" it would be to have a drink. Because if I allow my mind to got there, my behavior will follow, sooner or later.

Comment

the hardest thing

As you can see by my name I can identify with your affection to Pinot Grigio :H Great job pouring it out
              Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

the hardest thing

I like that name preciouspinot!

Comment

the hardest thing

Gosh..i thought i was being um sophisticated drinking wine until it was bottle after bottle. i have dumped the bottle and then had to run out to the store and bought more. I applaud you on your efforts and you should give yourself credit:goodjob:

Comment

the hardest thing

i thought it was classy too...until i started ignoring my favorite labels in return for 2 or 3 bottles of 9.99$ rat piss.

beer's a hard one for me too. i love beer. i love everything about it and i'm incapable of having 1 or 2. i'm canadian, we drink beer....

Comment

the hardest thing

Alicia :welcome:

I don't keep any AL in my house and haven't since the first day I stopped drinking. I even changed my driving habits so I didn't go pasted the liquor store. Pouring out that wine wasn't a waste, it was an investment in your sobriety. Good job.
                      AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

the hardest thing

aliciabutterfly;563350 wrote: i thought it was classy too...until i started ignoring my favorite labels in return for 2 or 3 bottles of 9.99$ rat piss.

beer's a hard one for me too. i love beer. i love everything about it and i'm incapable of having 1 or 2. i'm canadian, we drink beer....
                        We definately do all drink beer! Where are you in Canada Alicia?
                        AF July 6 2014

Comment

the hardest thing

Welcome Alicia! Great work. I've done that too

Great words - A work in progress - that's how I feel
                          AF since Sunday 27th June 2010
                          One Day At A Time

Trying to be the best mother, daughter and friend that I can be.

Comment

the hardest thing

i'm in alberta. i saw that some of ya'll are in ontario!! yay sober canadians!!

Comment

the hardest thing

I've got rid of all the wine in the house but we still have gin, beer and other stuff. White wine is my downfall. Also we have a shop on the corner which stays open until 9pm. That was always my downfall. Nipping there for a bottle of notasniceaspinotplonk just before they shut.

I haven't been there for wine in a long time. I've broken the habit I think

Comment

Working...
                              X