Dealing with my beast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with my beast.

Today is day 4 for me. Day 4 = a million days in my book and I am proud to have gotten to this day. However, I woke this morning and my mind started planning my day and I realized that my husband is going to be down at the apartments doing construction work until around dinner time. I am an isolated drinker, so knowing he will not be here is like a "hall pass" for me. This scares me. I know this afternoon (being a weekend and all) my mind is going to start telling me to get a bottle of wine to enjoy with with this beautiful day.... I don't want to get it. I don't want it. I love the clear head I have right now, but feel it is clouding up with fear as I face the day.

I'm going to search the tool box to figure out how to deal....but if anyone has any direct suggestions, I'd welcome them with open arms. TIA.
    Indifference is in your future with Baclofen. It works!

My frustration with Baclofen, which is shared by Dr. Oliver Ameisen, is that because Baclofen is an off patent medication there is no profit motive for drug companies to support clinical trials that would demonstrate its efficacy in treating addiction.

Dealing with my beast.

I say, get in the car and go shopping! LonelyOne calls it "retail therapy"! Just a thought.
    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Dealing with my beast.

Write down all the reasons you dont want to drink, all the things you have done and felt while drinking. Then go for a lovely walk and enjoy this beautiful sunshine.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Dealing with my beast.

Dill, I'd love to go shopping, but I don't trust myself driving by all the opps to buy wine. sigh. I think I will stay put and busy myself with projects I've had on my list...

Thanks for the list idea Startingover. I'm sitting here with a cup of coffee and doing just that. I will keep it with me all day. I'm already starting to feel better....
        Indifference is in your future with Baclofen. It works!

My frustration with Baclofen, which is shared by Dr. Oliver Ameisen, is that because Baclofen is an off patent medication there is no profit motive for drug companies to support clinical trials that would demonstrate its efficacy in treating addiction.

Comment

Dealing with my beast.

I assume those of you saying it is a beautiful day are in the UK like me. I can't believe the weather. It is hot !! The sky is completely blue. There are no clouds!!!!!!

Help, Check the what I hate and loath about drinking thread and write your own list.
          Have no booze in the house
          Do something you enjoy and gives you pleasure
          When a craving comes on don't think this will escalate and I won't cope. Know it will pass off after a while and ride out the discomfort. Don't expect it to be easy

You've done 4 days. Protect your investment. If you give in, you'll be back to square one. You will hate yourself tomorrow and you will feel rubbish.
          AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

Dealing with my beast.

Get lots of things that make you feel good together...Movies, music, candy, books, even smells that make you happy...I did that and would force myself to go and do something that made me feel good before i LOST IT with the booze...It helped me alot in the early days. PM me if I can help in any way.
            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Dealing with my beast.

distractions distractions distractions!!!!
              that is how i made it throught the first few days (weeks!?)

good for you being pro-active and looking for help to get past those rough cravings. i am an isolated drinker as well...nights my husband was on call were my "hall pass" as well...i didn't have to hide my wine and could lounge about and drink wherever and how much i wanted.
              you will feel sooooooo much better if you do not drink though...you will jump that hurdle and it will make you stronger and better able to cope with these feelings in the future.

i have been sober for 10 weeks and trust me, it feels wonderful!

come back here if you need to talk through any cravings or feelings, k?

peace!

Comment

Dealing with my beast.

Help4me, I know the dangers of isolation - definitely agree with peacenik, distraction all the way, and Evie Lou's ideas of getting nice things together is great too. I posted some ideas on the ODAT thread, but basically anything that means you're doing something else, whether that's walking, cleaning the windows, shopping if you can avoid temptation. And if you get really twitchy, like I did one day last week, say to yourself "it's not a day, its just a couple of hours, that's all" ... "just have to stay AF for 2 hours, and I've already done 2 hours today so I can do another 2" ... and keep doing that until bedtime.

Hang in there. Stay strong, and keep coming back here for a boost

Comment

Dealing with my beast.

Your story is oh so familiar to me- I am a closet drinker - The bottle my best friend, that holds no judgement against me
                  When the beast taps at my shoulder, I get to my computer FAST and type in as fast as I can
                  mywayout.org
                  My strength is here- I lean a lot on our membership
                  Stay close
                  DLW
                  Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
                  And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
                    Today is a Mystery
                    Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Working...
                  X