Back again for another go.. with Topa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, back again after a few months of slipping up and being an idiot. Went back to my psych on Thursday and he gave me Topamine to start asap. I had used campral and that was ok but I am still rollercoaster me. My needs for alcohol are the same as nomorewine - not addiction just really bad habits and stress drives me. My weight has soared and I am starting to look like a zeppelin. So what to do guys? Keep working on it, can anyone give me their versions of starting on topa?
    Jools
    "The lazy man always works the hardest"
    "Pride always comes before a fall"
    :l

I'm back too. Don't know for how long.

Jools
    As another Aus and Qlder I have been wondering where you went. I have slipped up big time. I am emabarrassed compared to the others. Anyway,I am trying again.
    Maires

Comment

Glad you're both back

I wondered where you both went - come on girls - give it another go. So you slipped - so what? Find me someone who hasn't. Bet there's not many!

Just get back on board - read, post, chat. It's got to, eventually, get better.

Tawny

Comment

Welcome

Hi - I'm newish here but will welcome you back anyway. I started Topa a little over a week ago with few side effects that I can see - may a little tiredness. The side effects are small compared to the benefits. I have had a few small slip ups but continue on my journey. Stick here and things will get better. Happy Saturday all!
        Trish In Omaha

Shepard James 'Shep' Walker: I think it can best be said..."The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
        Sidda: Well, what about the road back? What's that paved with?
        Shepard James 'Shep' Walker
        : Humility.

"Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood
        "

Comment

that trish is a real gem.
          she joined on and seems to be going full speed ahead. glad maires and jools are back.
          who doesn't slip. i swear by the topa. i love the shit. i find that if i take it at 10 in the a.m. and 4:30 in the evening i am good to go. i really cuts the urge to drank.(i'm from the south). good luck and hang with us.

Comment

Thanks everyone, Hi again Maires and onwards and upwards for us all. Gateway how did you start up with the topa - 25 for a week then 50 etc? I have to see my doc in three weeks time and have no repeat on my script for the drug. Took the first 25mg last night. Feel rotten today but my daughter and I have the flu as well as a vomiting/diarrohea virus so I cannot tell if I can feel anything. I must admit the furthest thing from my mind is drinking today!

I desperately need to lose weight as well and get motivated to exercise. Any tips?
            Jools

Comment

gateway, you do not live in the south, your are from the south but don't live there

Comment

By the way gateway, are you going to see Dr. Sweetheart tommoorow?

Comment

Hey Jools

Hey Jools, You hang in there! I am going to try & get the topa. Made an appointment with a holistic doctor down on Manly. Ah well even if he wont give it to me at least hubby & I get a weekend away.
                  Went to this doctor about 8 years ago when I had an Auto-immune disease and even though it didn't cure me it did make me feel a whole lot better!
                  Give the topa a good go and I think it helps you to loose weight as well.
                  You are right I need a holiday away up north where it is warm!!! Do you get the weekends off? Aren't you coming down my way in September?
                  Shas
                  Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

topa & September

Hey Shas,

Do you have to go to Manly? As soon as I mentioned the topa to my doc he thought it would be a good idea after I explained where I got the knowledge from. I am going to take the Lancet article when I go to see him in 3 weeks time. We will be down in September but we have to get the house in Picnic Point ready to sell so that will take alot of time as well as the family visits. I will see how we go because I have a friend in Newcastle I am desperate to see as well.

Talk soon.
                    Jools

Comment

OK

Jools,
                      Let me know when you are at Picnic Point as I will be down to see my parents at some stage. Maybe we could go for a quick coffee then.
                      Anyway you could be right and I will try my doctor. He was open to the campral but I don't know how libral he will be for the topa as he is under the impression it's just a matter of control (sounds like my husband) LOL
                      Shas

Comment

Topa

Hi Jools - hi Maires -- Welcome back.

Everyone slips - some big, some small - doesn't matter. What matters is you get back on the horse. SO saddle up ladies!

I had checkup with Dr. the other day and I suffer from wicked migraines. He said try this - its called Topamax. We are trying it for migraine prevention now. HAHAHA. I have opted not to go the Topa route so I probed him for side effects as a way to decline. That drug seems like its turning into quite a little powerful pill!!!

Comment

Hi everyone~
                          I've been trying this for a week, with just the supplements and CDs when I can (but that's not often). I tried for the Topa, but my Dr. said she wouldn't prescribe it even though I took the book in and everything. She said that she doesn't even believe that I need it. Then she prescribed the antidepressant Lexipro. She said it was mild as far as side effects go, but that stuff made me whacko!!!! I was actually convinced that my 19month old was possessed one evening (he was teething really bad). SCAREY, huh!!!! I only took it that one time and it scared me to death. Makes me wonder if those mothers that go crazy are on the wrong antidepressants??? Anyhoo, didn't mean to go on and on and on, but really was wondering if any one is having success without the Topa, or if I should keep trying to find a DR. that will write me a script? I have cut the drinking down, but have only had one successful AF day. Hoped for more.

Good job, everyone. It's wonderful to read about all of your experiences.

Comment

MM-

I am going it without the Topa. I am currently on day eight of total abstinence. The l-glutamine, kudzu, hypno and a butt-load of determination seem to be doing it for me. I have also started working out again-it really helps with my stress and anxiety levels.

I do take Serzone (Nefazadone) for depression/anxiety issues. That may also help cut down on the cravings. I was doing really well with that medication until I decided to self-medicate with alcohol (after five years of not drinking at all).

Everyone is different and sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to find what works for you. I know that has been the case with me.

Good luck on your journey and I am glad you are here.

Jackie M

Comment

mountain mama!!! don't give up, you are doing so much good and nobody knows but you ( how much arse are you really kicking!) so go girl and don't give up!
                              sorry if I have offended anyone but us ausies like to offend coz we are tough (sorry not me but the men maybe?) AND we don't show emotions (well sorta of`away any!!!
                              Shas

Comment

Working...
                              X