A scared newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A scared newbie

Another newbie here & I have no idea what I'm doing, as I'm sure will be all too apparent! I came across this website yesterday and it really resonated with me. I'm fed up with the sleep disruptions, feeling crappy and guilty and after poking around here it seems like everyone is non-judgemental and eager to help. I hope. I quit drinking for 8 years and began again roughly 8 years ago but was able to be moderate for a long time. Not so much anymore. I hope I'm not deluding myself, but I'd like to find that moderate ground again. I'm very interested in the nutritional supplements and what has worked for others. Please excuse me if I screw up this posting business occasionally - I'm extremely techno-challenged. Thanks!

A scared newbie

Welcome Sportster ~ Glad to have you here! I agree with Wally, the book is a wonderful place to start. You are going to find a lot of great people, advice and support here. Again, welcome!

Comment

A scared newbie

Thanks to you both for the response - I feel a bit more hopeful today. Someone was listening! I will definitely get the book and check out the supplements at a local store.Thanks again!

Comment

A scared newbie

Welcome sport,
        This place is addictive in a grood way ! Lots of support and really great people all helping each other !!
        Kudzo and L-glutamine as suppliment for me, lots of water , working out and reading a lot of posts !!
        Come by everyday join us in the ODAT thread or any other thread ! Good luck !
        Francine
        :beach:

Comment

A scared newbie

Hi Sporty. Welcome to you!
          Yes, the support and the supplements are what have kept me sober for the best part of 9 months now. It WAS scary at first, but honestly it does get easier and it even gets fun :-)
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

A scared newbie

Hi! First welcome. Everyone here is lovely, we're all in the same boat. To be honest, buy the mwo book. It explains a lot. Try some lglut. I have tried and failed millions of times to mod, I used to kid myself that I could do it and not slip into bad habbits but I always did. Iwould kid myself that I could have the one glass and not drink for days, I'd also force myself to believe that I needed drink to relax, unwind, have fun or to just be normal. After many and I really do mean MANY failed attemps I'm now just staying sober and not kidding myself. Good luck and I hope you find a way that works for you! Keep posting

Comment

A scared newbie

Hi, ill be honest i havent read the book, and i havent done the supplements, i have found the boards to be the support i needed, and if ive had a problem i came on here... but thats not to say that the book isnt a good thing..i just didnt want to obsess..im al free and i know there is no way on this earth i could moderate..ive been trying to do that for three years and for me the psychological battle is far too painful..and personally i belive that if i could moderate anything in my life i wouldnt be here..im addicted. but for some people i think its the right thing..personal choice..keep posting see you around.. shelley
              When you can look a thing in the eye,
              Acknowledge that it exists,
              Call it exactly what it is,
              And decide what role it will play in your life,
              Then my beloved,
              You have taken the first step toward your freedom.
              Iyanla Vanzant

Comment

A scared newbie

sportster, welcome..we are here for you. Honey..let us be your addiction. Make mistakes, be imperfect..we all are. Be honest and be here. Welcome

Comment

A scared newbie

Welcome sportster! You'll find lots of supportive, understanding people here who aren't judgemental, but will listen and help wherever they can.

I'm using the supplements, milk thistle, kudzu and multivits with evening primrose oil, and I feel they make a difference.

Read a lot here, post, join us in ODAT if you think that might work for you (it really helps me), and basically, just stick around!!

Stay strong
                  LO

Comment

A scared newbie

Welcome from me too and thanks for posting in my first thread.

I just posted a question in the ODAT-thread about the cravings and whether they ever go away. Please let me know how it was for you when you were sober for 8 years. And how did you manage the moderate drinking after that? I'm still unsure whether I need to quit completely or whether I could learn to drink sensibly.

I would love to hear about your experinces.

Comment

A scared newbie

:welcome: Inspiration and stories just like mine are what I find here. You will too.

As for as modding, I know I can't do it.... I wish I could. My pea picking little brain thinks one drink should be followed by about 10 more. Best of luck to you!
                      RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

A scared newbie

Sportster06, welcome.

Have a look at the various threads and find your way around with one or more you feel comfortable with. Monthly moderators may be one of interest to you, but they will suggest, as do I, that you do a stint of 30 or so alcohol free (AF) days first, before you try being a moderate drinker again.
                        Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                        AF May 23 09 to July 09
                        AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

A scared newbie

I've done some AF & some mods. To be honest I really don't think mods is my thing. I always start well with 'not on a school night' and only drink on a Fri & Sat. Then the 'well it was a tough day so....' & then I'm back to basics. I'm AF now and holding strong. Totally agree with a month AF first.

I was taking L-glut & gabba at the beginning - it did help with the blood sugars and anxiety.

Good luck & take care
                          xxx
                          The mind is in its own place, and in itself
                          Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.

John Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X