Very nervous about blood work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I finally went to a general prac. to get blood work. I am so incredibly nervous about my liver. Last year it came back okay but my drinking has only gotten worse and I don't have a good feeling about this. I get a lot of pain in the liver area after my binge drinking episodes.

In a bizarre way, maybe it would be good for the doctor to say, "you have high liver enzymes and you MUST quit alcohol."

I am up to 150mg on the topamax and still not completely AF. I'm at 4 days again, although I did get up to 12 days AF a couple of weeks back. It's a roller coaster.
    "One day at a time. Messy bed, Messy head."
    March 13, 2012

Goal #1: 7 days 3/19/12 DONE
    Goal #2: 15 days 3/27/12
    Goal #3: 30 days 4/11/12
    Goal #4: 60 days 5/11/12
    Goal #5: 90 days 6/10/12
    Goal #6: 6 months
    Goal #7: 1 year

Boy, can I totally relate to you! I had bloodwork done just over two years ago and I was a nervous wreck. I had had 30 days at least AF and all was ok. I'm sure if I took a test now, they wouldn't be. I keep pushing off getting a physical until that magic day when I am AF. Smart, right? (: It's probably best to just get the bad news and then use that as fuel to change. Remember that the liver has a great ability to heal!

Good luck and let us know!

Ann

Comment

Thank you Ann! The nurse said the results will be in next week so we will see....yikes!
      March 13, 2012

Comment

Good on you for DOING something about it.
        Being AF is the best thing you can do for your liver!!

Holding thumbs that the results come back clear.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Absolutely....... its a brave move.

I have it in my mind to 'one day get the tests so I know'. Gotta do it soon.

Good luck with it. I think it'll come back fine.

Comment

I know what you mean about motiviation. My husband's bloodwork came back with high liver enzymes and we found out he has scarring and fatty liver. We are now AF for 33 days. That's it. We are done. And we are terrified. Unfortunately, although we had cut down to drinking about 1-2 days a week, we could not quit until we found out about his liver damage. I am sure my liver is in bad shape too. So...good luck. I just figure we are going to make this bad news into something good. So we can say in five years, "it was the best thing that every happened."
            Redhibiscus

Comment

Last year when I had my bloodwork done I thought that it would be good to stop drinking the night before for the test. LOL My doctor called me back for an appointment to discuss my liver numbers and it gave me the opportunity to discuss my drinking with her. It was good and bad for me. I stayed AF from Jan to April last year. Then when I started back drinking my AL thoughts were that well, I'm gonna die of this so I might as well continue to drink. That was the AL talking.

I just had my blood work done a couple of weeks ago. I got a call back from her nurse to tell me I needed more Vit D. No mention of my liver at all. What a relief. I had to ask the nurse about it. She said the doctor didn't even mention my liver. WOO HOO! I have been AF 51 days now!
              RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. I actually mentioned to my doctor before the tests that I was concerned about my liver. I told her of my concerns w/ my alcohol use and gave her an "avg." of my weekly use. It was very embarrassing and I must say that she seemed to look down on me a bit after talking about it. I may have just been ultra sensitive but it just seemed that way to me.

The worst part was when I was leaving the office, I had the check-out paper to bring out to the front to pay my co-pay. At the bottom of the sheet it had some number with the words "Alcohol Abuse" written beside it. I handed it to the receptionist and her eyes went straight to those words. I covered my face with my hair and just got out of there as fast as possible. How embarrassing!
                March 13, 2012

Comment

That is VERY un-cool Hope!! I am so sorry you had a bad experience at the Doc's.

I have a wonderful GP who has been one of my biggest supporters on my journey. She felt there was no need to keep record of my AL problems as I was addressing them constructively.
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Does that mean it is going to go throught the insurance company and be recorded in my medical history in some negative way? The number was V70 or something like that? Now I am a getting a little angry at this rude doctor!
                    March 13, 2012

Comment

Good luck to you, hope! Milk thistle helps the liver and kidneys...

Be
                      "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

I am afraid to go to the doc. The last time I was there, I told im I was done with heavy drinking and was modding, He told me that If I was able to mod, I would be the first person he has ever seen.

The last thing I need to hear is I told you so. Maybe it is all in my head. I need to make an appointment because ever since I quit smoking, I have not been right in the head. Bi-polar mood swings. I'm not fuctionning at work
                        Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

hope10;576021 wrote: Does that mean it is going to go throught the insurance company and be recorded in my medical history in some negative way? The number was V70 or something like that? Now I am a getting a little angry at this rude doctor!
                          If you are in the US, Don't worry about it, Doctors still control our healthcare not the Government.
                          Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X