Got Through the Weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Through the Weekend!

I'm trying hard to make changes, wine is my downfall too.

I started drinking a glass here and there when I found out my then 17 yr old was pg in her 12th Grade and would graduate 9 months pg. What started as a simple relaxation 9 years ago has progressed into nightly bottle/s and I'm so tired of beating myself up over it each day. Have tried over the past 2 years to quit and always ended up back at it ... Now I am 30 days minus one slip weeks ago. My husband of 31 years has stopped also, he's the one who encouraged me to try for 30 days.

Recently I attended a 10 days Curling Brier in Calgary which involves alot of partying but managed to stay AF with the help of another non-drinking person and Virgin Ceasers.

Friday was tough, two of my best friends (my long time drinking buddies) called me for lunch. They had no idea that I have been AF ... they told me they had ordered my a 1/2 Litre of wine & asked if that was ok? I told them "no" to cancel the order and that I'd meet them in afew minutes.

I was so nervous driving, thinking I should have just declined the invitation. But I went and after afew questions and nervous energy, I ordered that Virgin Ceaser, told them to have what they liked and we carried on. It seemed as awkward for them as for me, these are my best friends for over 25 yrs. After lunch back to my friends for more conversation and drinks, I had coke.

Later meeting up with our husbands for dinner (more questions & virgin ceasers) & after I suggested we go to a lounge for an after dinner drink just because everyone was acting abit strange so I just thought I'd throw it out there. We were home sober by 9:30 pm.

Dh had alittle more trouble handling the social situation as it was his first in 28 days ... When does a person start to feel normal in these situations. I really forced myself to be happy and try to be myself but inside it was uncomfortable. Waking up today sober was so worth any of the ill emotions ...

I find that I still don't feel great, headaches, really sleepy, grumpy, especially with my honey, who is trying to be so supportive and quitting to help me. I've just finished reading the book by Chris Prentiss and really enjoyed it. I take what I like and leave the rest from AA. I'm trying, one day at a time.

Couldn't get on here for 4 or so days because of my computer but I'm happy to be back as I missed the support! Welcome to all newcomers ....

:bye:
    Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
    Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
    10 days - Sept 13, 2012
    2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
    Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
    AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
    Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got Through the Weekend!

Hi bouchard01,
    Getting through the weekend is huge! I felt like I made it through some kind of a gauntlet the first time I did that, but like everything else about going AF, it got a lot easier with time.
    Good job!!!!

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

:goodjob:
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

cool beans!
        "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

Hey bouch: it is hard with the old friends but soon it will feel ok just to be sober. What I alway say is I am driving and I will never drink while driving...hope this helps a little ....take care Rusty
          :heart:AF since May 31 2008.....Happy and Healthy

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

yeah bouch! congrats....keep it going! that was a huge obstacle....well done!
            Dove

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

Bouchard, well done. I had some questions last weekend from a good friend, but I was almost relieved, as everyone else seemed to be in denial that I had any kind of issue with AL, so it was good to be able to talk about what had been going on. Apart from feeling apprehensive and a bit nervous how did you feel socially, e.g. was the conversation the same as if you'd been drinking or did you enjoy your friends company as much? I've been quite amazed at how little difference alcohol made to my enjoyment of social occasions.

Bx
              Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

Good on you, bouchard!! :rockon:
                ~K.

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

Well done, there's something really tough about the weekend, especially when you're in a social situation which does or would have included AL, but you did it! That's brilliant!

LO

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

Quite agree about how little difference it makes, went out Saturday and had a great time with no booze! First time too, well done Bouchard!

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

As hard as this is for you, know that your actions are helping me. I'm sure I am not alone either, and that goes a long way. Many here read these posts to see if they are the only ones. Your examples are great, and I look forward to many more!!! Thanks for sharing and being strong; you are inspirational.
                      My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

I, too, took inspiration from your post. Thank you for taking the time to share that. Good job on your progress!
                        Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

Sweaty Betty;578786 wrote: Apart from feeling apprehensive and a bit nervous how did you feel socially, e.g. was the conversation the same as if you'd been drinking or did you enjoy your friends company as much? I've been quite amazed at how little difference alcohol made to my enjoyment of social occasions. Bx
                          It did seem alittle awkward with my one friend but we have not seen each other in months so I'm sure it would have been that way alcohol or not. I think I talk alot more when I've had a couple but as I said I really tried to be open and seem like I was having fun, more than I was really having as I was thinking too much!!! :thanks:
                          Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                          10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                          2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

I want to thank you all for your words ... what a wonderful feeling to get on here this morning and know that others are here with me ... I hope we can all continue ahead on our journey making the changes we all want to make for the better of our lives and those in our lives.

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                            10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                            2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Got Through the Weekend!

I think like a lot of things, 'the first time' is the the worst.

Bxx
                              Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X