Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowy Sunday thoughts

Hi, All,
    This is my first week in the community, and I find myself feeling very much a part of a wonderful, supportive, encouraging group of people. I have never been a fan of on-line stuff, but this is truly great!

I am a newly retired, happily married lady who has had a drinking problem since college. My plan is to learn how to moderate, because I truly do love to have a glass or two of wine on Fridays, or a drink when we go out to dinner. But, what has happened too many times to count, is that I'll have the one, top it off before it empties, and then before I know it, the bottle is empty and my sweetheart is discouraged. I AM motivated to make this work.

It seems as if my most recent triggers to REALLY over-indulge in my wine has been worries about the health of my family. I had just started what was to be a 30 AF month in February, when my husband was hospitalized for what ended up being 3 weeks. He almost died. Yep, I know this is an excuse, but to be honest, after being at the hospital for 10 hours, coming home to make the hour and a half of phone calls to update everyone on how he was doing, I truly loved relaxing with that bottle. So, he's now been home for a month, and thank God is well once again. Then, Friday, I had to take my step dad to the same emergency room, and was once again there for hours and hours. And, after coming home, the two glasses I had planned on became much more.

I know that it will take work. But I also know that I can do this. Moderation is my goal, but I'm also realistic enough to know that if I'm not successful at that, I'll have to become a teetotaler.

Thanks for being there, thanks for listening! I really appreciate this community and the lovely friends I am making here.

Snowy Sunday thoughts

Welcome ... happy to have you here.
    Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
    Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
    10 days - Sept 13, 2012
    2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
    Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
    AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
    Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Snowy Sunday thoughts

Mica, just wanted to welcome you to MWO. While I'm not quite to retirement (just turned 51) I can relate to your story as I too was a problem drinker since college. I can fully relate to your desire to moderate your drinking if that is possible for you. I think it's great that you are also being realistic about what will need to happen if moderation doesn't work for you. I think that is a healthy approach. As long as you keep searching your soul for the truth, you will be able to solve the problem drinking one way or another.

I am sorry to hear of the health related scares you have had in your family lately. That is very stressful.

Wishing you strength,

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Snowy Sunday thoughts

Welcome, mica. I am close to retirement, but have at least 3 more years to go. I'm 56 years old and have been a problem drinker for many years; much worse the last 4-5. I also enjoyed relaxing with white wine. Not any more. One always turns into 5 or more. There seems to be a broken "off" switch in my brain! So, I'm with you.
        Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Snowy Sunday thoughts

Similarites . . .

I am newly retired as well, your thread sounds very much like mine only hubby did not have to stay in hospital. (He got to recover at home over a period of a month+).

You have just embarked an enlightening new journey within the MWO forum. One which will help you learn so much about yourself it may even surprise you.

I almost sound like an advertisment on TV but this has been my experience. I thought I really knew who I am and where I am going. Boy was I wrong. I have been here for only 2+ months and WOW have I changed in so many ways.

Welcome and please keep reading and threading, it will help immensely.

God Bless . . .

Comment

Snowy Sunday thoughts

hi mica,welcome,this is a great spot,and a great bunch of people,obviously you have some control,you went to the rt thread,you also acknowledge you have a slight problem,with alcohol,which could lead to being a ,messy situation, your doing everything rite so far,there is a modders site and a alcohol free,your choice,hope your hubby gets well, gyco

Comment

Snowy Sunday thoughts

You are all wonderful! Thanks for your words of encouragement!

Comment

Working...
              X