Nervous about ride home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous about ride home

Any suggestions, I'll be leaving work in about an hour and a half, and this is day one for me. The ride home is usually where I give in and buy the bottle. I have been tried many times to stop, but always relapsed. I'm going to try some light exerising when I get home, that seems to help, it's just getting there!
    Only Those Who...Attempt The Absurd...Achieve The Impossible

Nervous about ride home

Go a different route home..
    Eat something before you set off home (eating can help with cravings)
    Tell yourself that come hell or high water you are NOT buying any alcohol...
    Good luck!! You can do this!
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Nervous about ride home

Think of it this way Mr. Straw...if you buy that bottle, you're going to OPEN that bottle and then DRINK what's in that bottle and you'll not be able to do ANY exercising, light or not, after that. Just do it today. Go straight home. Perhaps call someone on the way (on hands-free phone of course) so you CAN'T make that stop...extra insurance.

Do it! You're in charge.

Comment

Nervous about ride home

and remember , were all here for you at home as well, log back on, go on chat , read posts , whatever...we will be here!

Comment

Nervous about ride home

Stop and get the biggest cup of coffee you can find.

Think of a physical project you have been meaning to do.

Drink the coffee and tackle the project like an animal. YEAH BABY!

It works for me many times.

Transfer Fear/Anger/Doubt into physical work! :goodluck:
          Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

Nervous about ride home

Thanks to all, it just feels good knowing you're there for support. I can do this.

Comment

Nervous about ride home

You know what's amazing is, I know I shouldn't buy it, I sit in the parking lot convincing myself not to buy it, I tell myself "no" all the to register, then crack it open on the way out the lot, crazy! I've been doing these for so many years I can't remember...not that I would be able to remember anyway!

Comment

Nervous about ride home

Strawman, It can be different. It doesn't have to be the same today, or any day, from now on. It is simply amazing, being sober! I fought it every night, after work. I could turn left to go home, or go one fourth mile to the liquor store and buy a pint of vodka. Only a pint, because, this would be my last. Fought with myself every night when I got in the vehicle. Until, finally, April 8, 2008 - enough was enough... Things have improved tremendously since then. Life has changed for the best. I hope you get that coffee and tackle your projects. Good Luck!
                "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Nervous about ride home

I just joined a few minutes ago and I need to get my first day in!! Honestly, scared s*&%less!! I cannot remember the last time I went AF for even 1 day, maybe 3 years ago. If I can do one, I would like to shoot for the week. My biggest concern is falling asleep tonight, both emotionally and physically...any tips and/or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

BK

Comment

Nervous about ride home

Bestlifeldms, EXACTLY!! It's always the last one! I'll decide not to buy, I will take the left,drive a couple miles, then turn around, out of my way and justify it. I would also never finish it completely, so I couldn't throw it away, which I knew would trigger buying more, or I would buy another pint knowing I had a few swallows left in the pint from last night, then I'll quit. The insanity of it all !!! I keep saying "all's I want to be is normal" So, I'll get the coffee and tackle some projects, go for a walk. I can do this.

Comment

Nervous about ride home

Hi Strawman,
                      I have to agree with the others - distraction is key to your success. I have learned to stop what I'm doing when drinking thoughts come into my head, move on and throw myself into something completely different. The desire is gone in about 15 minutes. Your inner strength and commitment to quit grows stronger each and every time you succeed in doing this. You will soon be feeling very proud of yourself, well worth the effort.

Stay strong, stay tuned into MWO.
                      Lavande
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Nervous about ride home

I just want to thank you all, I know it's only day one, but I followed your suggestions, got my coffee for the ride home, got busy when I got home and I didn't drink today! The next hurdle will be, if I can keep this up, then I'll start feeling better, and that can be just as dangerous, because then the evil thinking starts coming in, I'm feeling better...one won't hurt. But ODAT, at least I had today.

Comment

Nervous about ride home

I think just being able to talk about it is a huge help!

Comment

Nervous about ride home

If you want to STOP doing something, you need to DO something else! In other words, replace the drinking with other activities. My house was never cleaner, every closet, every drawer, every window! Stay busy, busy, busy, until you are utterly exhausted. I would stay up until 1 in the morning until I would collapse in bed and immediately go to sleep. Do this until the old habit fades away. If you are like most of us when we drank, things have probably been let go. You will have enough to keep you busy! Go, man, go!
                            "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Nervous about ride home

Go Strawman Go! Go Strawman Go! You've got quite a little team of cheerleaders and we ALL want you to succeed. Really relish how you feel first thing in the morning when your mind is clearer and your heart is proud of the great job you did today!

:goodjob:

Comment

Working...
                              X