Trying to quit - advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to quit - advice?

I need some advice please...I want out, however I need to function as I find my way out due to my job. Any advice on whether to just slow down/cut back (buy a couple bottles of beer) to keep the withdrawals from being too severe? I need to present in meetings, etc. and obvious withdrawal symptoms would not be a good idea? Or, am I trying to fool myself and it's a must to go cold turkey and try to hide any symptoms? Advice?:new:

Trying to quit - advice?

What if you started your quit on a non-stressful Friday? Then you'd have 3 days under your belt by Mon.

(Right now, I'm better at Giving advice than Taking my own advice...!! )
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Good point....think the withdrawal symptoms can be hidden for the most part by Mon or Tues?

Your advice is appreciated (and I know the feeling of not being able to take your own advice!)

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Is there a doctor that you can talk to about assistance with withdrawal? There are medications that are very helpful in taking away withdrawal symptoms. I know that there are others here who have sucessfully tapered down, perhaps they will chime in. Please keep posting and let us know how we can be of help.
        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Welcome Last10yrs,

COngratulations on making that first step! - sometimes the hardest one - and finding the effective way to become sober seems to be different for different people. I suppose a lot of your withdrawal will depend considerably on how much you regularly drink as certainly the three days (Frid, Sat and Sun) may be enough to enable you to function effectively. If you anticipate it requiring longer can you find space to take a few days leave and combine them with the weekend? Personally I wasn't able to kick the problem by cutting down, but temporarily if you think you can do it it may be an option. I found it was all or nothing, and cutting back was impossible, where as cutting out took the choices away and was actually easier (and more effective!). For tips on the more longer term ways to stay AF (alcohol Free) there's an excellent thread in 'Monthly Abstainers' called 'Tools' - contributions from people about what they found really helped when they wanted to stop drinking - would be worth a read.

I wish you good luck and do please keep posting - we're here 24/7 and wheverever you are in your life, you will find people who have been there/done that!
          :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
          Goals:
          Days 1-7 DONE
          Days 8-14 DONE
          Days 15-21 DONE
          30 days DONE
          60 days
          100 days

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Thanks for the note and encouragement. Well, it's almost 7:30 PM here...my witching hours. No booze in house and none for sale due to holiday. Did have 3 cans of beer at dinner in restaurant hoping to jump start this thing and take the edge off (typically my first bottle of wine would be about gone and fixing to uncork the next - these 3 beers fortunately or unfortunately are like having a glass of soda!). Have a nervous/anxious feeling, but other than that, not too bad yet. We'll see if I can taper, but if it fails I'm prepared to go all or nothing. The red wine sedative effect is definitely much different than what a beer does. Great feeling that my intentions remain strong. I can't go back to what I was...

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

do you have substitutes like tea or soda to get you through the evening?
              do you have activities to distract yourself?
              i didn't have acute withdrawal (i drank 1.5-2 bottles of wine a night for years), but i felt tired and anxious (but nowhere as anxious as i did when drinking!), so you might not get sick per sey...stick around here and distract yourself for a few days.

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

also, you might have insomnia for a while...melatonin helps.

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Thanks for the notes and advice. At the rate I'm feeling right now (nervous and anxious), I plan on enjoying some very late night TV!!! Hopefully I'll settle down and get some sleep at some point. But if not, there is always tomorrow night to try and sleep as well!:H

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

The complete inability to sleep is also my biggest problem trying to come off it. And since i'm working nearly every day it almost becomes easier to drink and sleep than not drink and show up at work looking a right mess.

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Thoughts on sleeping pills? How long does insomnia last when trying to become sober?

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Hi, Last10!!
                        Good job with 3 beers! That sure is a good start.
                        Melatonin works for me.
                        Zum

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Thanks Zum...I've been reading some of your posts...how are you doing?

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Last10,

I feel sooo good today! Little tired, but OK. Try it and u will see changes immediately. Was in the park for 3 hours with my son yesterday. I was able to run and play with him!! What a REWARD!

LAST WEEK , I WOULD HAVE ASKED MY HUSBAND TO TAKE HIM TO THE PARK AND SNEAK OUT TO BUY MY 3 BOTTLES OF WINE!

If I can do it, everybody can...

Sorry if my English is not perect, but English is not my 1st language. We moved from overseas to USA some 10+ yrs ago.

Keep trying Last10!
                            Zum

Comment

Trying to quit - advice?

Great to hear...I hope I can have a similar story tomorrow. I'm awfully anxious and sweaty, but nothing too crazy. Plan to do what you did...grab a 48 oz beer for tomorrow in case I start crawling up the walls. Sounds like I'm a day behind your experience...I hope 30 days from now we can congratulate each other!

Comment

Working...
                              X