Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CrazyforWine has 14 days!

Hi All,

Today is day 14 for me! I really can't believe it, I have had so many false starts for so long! I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts in the hopes it might help another newbie.

How do I feel now? I feel calmer, much less anxious despite financial difficulties. Better energy and focus. Able to be more present with my kids. And best of all, I am sleeping. A lot. At 9 pm I am wiped, beyond wiped; I take a smidgen of Melatonin for insurance, only 1.5 mg, and I am OUT. This weekend I have slept about 11 hours each night. A far cry from what I was doing while drinking, which was waking up constantly and drinking more wine to get back to sleep, and sometimes skipping work because I felt so crummy. And drinking more throughout the morning, just to ensure the crappiness endured for the entire day!

I'm not sure why I have made it this far this time. I've had some great off-line support from a couple of MWO-ers. I am taking Campral, though am about out of it and probably won't try to get more; a multivitamin, calcium, milk thistle and when I can, an Omega 3,6,9. I try to run or walk each day and eat well. But I think mostly it's because I really was swirling the drain. I was barely functional. I drank through four days of work (I work from home) and I am the main breadwinner for my family. If I had screwed up my relationship with this client, we would have been totally screwed. I can't believe I did that. I was worried I'd throw up on my way to pick up my 12 year old at school, so I walked with plastic bags, just in case. My social life, what little of it there was, revolved around how I felt due to drinking, and whether or not wine would be available. My life had become teeny tiny, and what was left was just crazy ridiculous. I don't know how I allowed myself to get so low, but as we know, AL is very compelling. I guess my point is that I knew, even in my drunken haze, that I had to stop, or I would die, after a long, nasty process of losing everything. Even now I cannot think about taking a drink, because I am actually terrified of it.

No thoughts of modding at this point. For me, one leads to a million. I wish it were not so, but it seems to be, in my case.

I don't have many cravings, and when I do, I just let them go, I use my rational brain, such as it is, to say "this will pass." And it does. Bad feelings come and go, whether we are drinking, or not. The trick is not to reach out for a quick fix, even though it can be very tempting.

As an aside, CNN had a show last night on addiction. It's either repeated or continued tonight at 8PM EST. It was a little weak, I thought, but the researcher who has worked on Naltrexone was on, Dr. Bankole Johnson. There was a guy on who had experienced great success with it, after many many years of hard drinking. I had kind of pooh-poohed the idea, I don't know why, but am now interested to learn more about it. I don't think it's for me, but it does sound promising. The show also mentioned Topamax in the same breath.

SO anyway, this is all to say if I can do it, you can do it. I do not feel ecstatic and bubbly, as some members do, but I feel calm and like my life is not yet over. I have a feeling of hope and of possibility. And I am sleeping.

My best to you all.

Ann

Crazyforwine, CONGRATS ON 14 DAYS!! WOOHOO!! That's AWESOME!! I'm actually on day 9 AF, and like you I'm amazed and not sure how I got here. I can relate to what you said, if I could harness the energy of all the work I did to support my drinking, I would haven't all these projects stacked up. But then, it's these projects on that keep me busy and not drinking. I'm starting to get better sleep also, and the cravings are minimal, and like you I try to use the rational side of the brain to let it pass. I can't believe I made it through the weekend, feeling great and getting some work done around the house. It's suppose to rain all next week, but today looks great, so I'm going out to do some yard work.
    I thank MWO and all you guys for where I am today, I need this site!. Keep it up Crazyforwine!! Hope everyone is having a great day!!!!!!!!!
    Only Those Who...Attempt The Absurd...Achieve The Impossible

Comment

Thank you, Strawman! What is your plan going forward? I am going to go for 30 days and then make an appointment with my doc for a FULL physical, and all of the tests a post 50 year old woman needs. I have not seen an internist in 3 years (since I last had an AF stint) for fear of what I'd learn. How smart is that?

After that? I think I will just continue with being AF. I"m not doing ODAT, it's more one week at a time, which is working for me!

Ann

Comment

Crazy, what an inspiring post WELL DONE!
        Heres to the next 14 and beyond!
        If ever you get weak, read that paragraph where you say what your life had become....that should put you back on track.
        Many congratulations.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I'm working on making it through next week AF, going for 30 days. I enjoying life today and looking forward for tomorrow. I'm also post 50, and I have a doctor's appt next month, just a follow-up and I think he's going to be pleasantly surprised. I'm going to tell him about these site because it's working for me. And if I can go 9 days AF then something's working here!!

Comment

That's fantastic crazy!! What a great post!!
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Awesome job!!!! It's amazing how great you start to feel!!! I love what you said about the rational brain...when you don't feed the brain al...it's amazing how 'clear' our thinking becomes...I'm on day 19...longest I've ever gone...I'm with you 100%...this feeling is the best in the world!! Keep going---excellent post!!!! Congrats!!!
              SD
              "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

6/18/11--7/3/12
              7/29/12

Comment

So I'm right behind you, SD! Let's keep it up! I can't say my thinking is as clear as it once was, but it's much better than it was 2 weeks ago, when I could barely carry a thought through to a conclusion!

I"m going to try to post more often. I know it's "off," but I really felt I wasn't entitled to say much until I had experienced at least SOME success. That's how bad I was feeling about myself.

Congratulations to you, that is awesome. You'll be at 30 days before you know it!

Ann

Comment

very well done awesome keep on going .. stay strong and keep thinking positive
                  :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                  best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

SD- WOW 19 days!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!! Keep it up! :goodjob: Crazy - Keep posting, I really enjoy reading what you have to say. I think it helps to post what I am feeling because it gets it out and off my mind. Plus, I feel like I am more a part of the MWO group if I do. It helps me to come on this site and read everyone's input, so I don't feel so alone. I'm a closet drinker and feels good to get out of the closet and talk about it. I've been drinking for so long I can't remember.

Comment

Strawman,

You are of course totally right! What is the thought about "shining a light" on things? Getting our thoughts and feelings out there does help. Secrets are not good!

Ann

Comment

Hi Crazy, Strawman and everyone,

You're doing great, I'm so happy for you. I'll be hitting 30 days this week (Thursday) myself and I know the pride and joy you are feeling right now - we all deserve to feel that way. I am part of the over 50 crowd too and it's so nice to finally feel calm, relaxed and just level..........it's been a long time. I plan on sticking around here for a good long time as well, for continued support and if I can be of any help to anyone else, of course.

Have a great week, continued success.

Lavande
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Crazy, Straw, Leven and anyone else who is making strides out there.
                          Well done to u all, you are what MWO is about. Crazy that was a wonderful post, as Starts says keep it and read it when necessary.
                          Luv u all:goodjob:

Comment

YAHH for you Congrats- it only gets better. And I - like you will NEVER EVER NEVER be able to moderate. Keep strong- you are doing great!
                            DLW
                            Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
                            And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
                              Today is a Mystery
                              Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

congrats

Great to hear that you are doing so well. Keep going and going. It's the only way to get better. I know. I like yourself absolutely cannot moderate. Anyway, your sobriety is very inspiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X