New Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bird

Hello. I have never posted before, here or anywhere else. One would think that for my maiden voyage I would pick a personally easier spot to begin, a book club perhaps or a nice horticulture society. I have no idea how to participate on a website other than to order something or pay bills. I have been reading many of your posts for a month and have grown to like and root for you. I worried, for example, when a quaint fellow with odd spelling grew tearful and stopped posting (he came back); still wonder what spider bit an unusually sweet lady; fret over people in withdrawal crisis who disappear; and celebrate so many remarkable successes be they three days or three years. I decided to get onboard (or as some of you say, twig) and have now read the book and taken the supplements and listened to the CDs for two days. I think the ?toolbox? will be really helpful. My current habit is around a third of a bottle of scotch a day in the winter; my summer drink is an equivalent of gin and tonic. I drink this between five and eight PM and somewhere in there is often one pristine glass of wine with dinner. I have seemed successful in my life but it is very shallow, scratch the surface and find air. As part of my plan, I am tapering the booze (I never measured it before) so I don?t blow up and last night (odd) I slept all through the night for the first time in years (my cat was stomping around, missing his 2am feeding and cuddle). I hope to get to know you and learn more, LBH.
    may we be well

New Bird

Hi Ladybird

It's funny how we start worrying about our 'virtual' friends! Good to have you on board, keep posting it helps keep you motivated. Also, I find it very useful to keep a drinks diary (or use drink tracker here), it's so easy to forget (deny) how much you have drunk in a week.

Funny you should mention sleeping well. Many members seem to suffer from insomnia but I have never slept so well since joining here! Proper restful sleep, not passed out.

I had never used an internet forum before joining here either. It's very supportive and I couldn't have made the progress I have without it.

Looking forward to reading your posts.
    If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

Comment

New Bird

Hi LBH keep posting and reading and keep very busy love ronnie xx :welcome:
      :dancin: enguin:
      starting over

Comment

New Bird

Welcome ladybird and good luck with your journey and know that we will all be here rooting for you too.

Although rooting is not the correct term to use in Australia as I have learnt to my embarassment on many occassions.

Comment

New Bird

Welcome LBH,

It's hard getting started but you'll never be sorry you did!
          In the beginning I was amazed too when I actually figured out how much wine I was drinking. I spent a few weeks moderating my intake and soon realized that wasn't good enough. It's been 30+ days now since I've gone totally AF. I feel good and am very happy and proud of my accomplishment. What a difference one month can make.

You can do it too, you owe it to yourself. Make a good, solid plan for yourself and commit to it, you won't be sorry

Best wishes,
          Lavande
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

New Bird

LBH-:welcome:

You seem to have set yourself up a good plan and have already started putting it in motion. Good for you. Getting sober isn't for wimps but it is so worth it.

So keep reading , posting and asking questions. And drop by the newbies nest if you like. There are plenty of twigs there!

There is lots of support here so good luck and hope to hear more from you.
            AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

New Bird

Thank you

Thank you very much for the welcome. I need all of the encouragement. I have never ?thought? about drinking so much as I have in the past month, preferring just to do it. I remember the minute I became an alcoholic. I had a dreadful fight with my mother and a couple of hours later she had what ended up being a fatal brain hemorrhage. When I came home from the hospital that first day, my boyfriend gave me a big glass of whisky. It actually brought me around. I did not suddenly hit the bottle but a little switch went off. Of course now I drink not only because I am in shock but to relax, to perk up, to celebrate, to grieve, to feed the dogs, you know the drill, it is just part of my life. Again thank you for your support and information. PS. I apologize to all in Australia for using any form of the verb ?to root?. I did not know. Cultural diversity is very cool and occasionally embarrassing.
              may we be well

Comment

New Bird

:welcome: Ladybird! Glad you have come and started posting. I look forward to getting to know you

Comment

New Bird

Welcome LBH, Glad to have you here with us. It sure seems like you have done your homework a have started to form a plan of action. keep on posting and sharing with us what your goals are...
                  We are all in this together and there are many here that will happily cheer you on the help you along your chosen path..
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

New Bird

:hello2::colorwelcome::wave::groupluv:
                    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

New Bird

:goodjob:wellcome ladybird

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

New Bird

I love the way you have with words LadyBird, reading your post is like reading poety, it just flows off the computer!

Welcome, and keep posting!!!!
                        I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

New Bird

Wow

I listened to you talk with one another through your posts for a couple of weeks before I got the courage to join in, and today I found those voices directed at me. It was astonishing; I actually burst into tears. I did not realize how alone I have felt. Thank you for welcoming me. I am attempting to train what passes for my brain with the CDs and I love the image on the second track of a stream running right through me, clearing things away. Last night thanks to measuring cups, supplements, hypnotherapy, and thoughts of you, I drank a little less than half of my usual vat of alcohol. I understand that tapering off works for some and not others and I have no idea if it will work for me. My life circumstances will be in a good place to try AF on May 15th but I am hoping that I can pull it off sooner. Bye for now; off to tend my baby seedlings (these are literal seedlings but I shall attempt to attend to things you have planted as well!).

LBH
                          may we be well

Comment

New Bird

Hi ladybirdheart

Come over to the 4 Day AF binge thread...it's a good place to be on a Monday morning. It's nice to start the week with good intentions and there are a few new people joined up this week.

You never know where it may lead!
                            If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

Comment

New Bird

Hello ladybird! :welcome:

Just checking in to see how you're doing. Seems like you know your way around the forum and you already found the tool box so things look good!
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                              X