If i'm honest....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If i'm honest....

People have said that after 30 days of being sober, you start to see cleary and will wat to stay sober....

I've been sober 46 days and yes my life is great and i'm my old self and i'm doing fantastic BUT i still want to drink almost everyday. I want to come of the antabuse but i know there is no way i can.

When will this end? will it ever end?

If i'm honest....

Hi lil.michelle,

It DOES end. But if you've been drinking a lot for years (like me), it takes time for your mind and body to readjust, and to forget your old habits and get used to new ones.

Someone described it to me like being in a bad long-term relationship. Even though it was not good for you, you're still going to think about that person/alcohol for quite a while once the relationship is over because you've spent so much time with them.

I'd been drinking for 20-odd years, so the first few months sober was a drop in the ocean in comparison.

You're doing great - keep going!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

If i'm honest....

lil.michelle;601159 wrote: I've been sober 46 days and yes my life is great and i'm my old self and i'm doing fantastic
      FIRST - Congrats on your 46 days!! Super Duper!

Reading what you said above, it seems Worth the occasional thought of drinking... and I'm quite sure it will lessen with time. (I agree w/what Marshy said above.)

And I hate to make this comparison, BUT... when my bf died last year, some well-meaning people said, well, it will get better with Time. It seemed impossible to think, the way I was feeling at the time, that that could be true... but, amazingly, it WAS.
      Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

If i'm honest....

Hi LiL and All
        You are doing a great job fighting this problem of ours.I can only give you some feedback in regards to what happened to me at different times.
        I have had al in my life for over 40 years.I have wanted it out for a long time.About 3 years ago I had my Dr. prescribe antabuse for me.It worked great.I took it for around 6 months.Not having enough information about my drinking problem I thought i could stop taking it and have a beer on my terms.Like non alcoholics every now and then and under control.I wound up right back to the same place I was within a month.Drinking daily and out of control.I didn't have a plan at that time.I didn't have enough information about alcoholism to realize what I had to do.
        I had gone to a few AA meetings but I don't think I was ready at the time to do what was necessary.I came across this site at another cross roads of trying to stop drinking.In reading all the information from others I could see why I had failed in the past.With support from members here I have been able to live al free for 11 months the longest time without al in my life.
        The 30 days is a start for all.You have past that which is great.It wasn't until I was into about 60 - 100 days that I really started to have a different feeling toward al.The cravings were much less as the hold of al on me started to diminish.I was not white knuckling it because I had done some major changes in my lifestyle along the way and they were paying off.Big changes in my socializing in regards to what I did and who I did it with.
        The point of this tread is to let you know that when I was at were you are I thought life would be great.Life still has its problems but it is not turning to al for the answer.All of us that have put some distance between ourselves and al have some down days just like non alcoholics.The quality of life will and does get so much better as time goes on.You will have to deal with the question of the antabuse in your recovery.It is a great tool I didn't use it this time so can't give info on stooping it and staying AF.I am sure other members can help you with this aspect.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF 5-16-08
        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF 5-16-08

Comment

If i'm honest....

Thank you everyone. It's just hard when i've been soo good and my life is so fantastic now to STILL get these, i need to drink now. Thank goodness i can't but it can't be like that all the time.
          It will get better in time. Very very true!
          Thank you soo much

Comment

Working...
          X