first timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first timer

Hello all. I am new to all of this. I am just looking for support to put a stop to alcohol. I would love to be able to just have a beer and move on, but that just doesn't happen for me. So I have come to the point that I want to change. Maybe this could be it? I am committed to looking for answers.
    northwoods

first timer

:hello2::colorwelcome::wave::groupluv:
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

first timer

Welcome northwoods,

You've come to the right place. Lots and lots of encouragement & support to be found here!
      Please read RJ's book, if you haven't already and make a plan that's right & comfortable for you. We all have similar problems but we all have different learning methods & comfort levels. You need to find something right & comfortable for you so you can stick to it and be successful.

Keep reading & posting, you'll figure it out soon

All the best,
      Lavande
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

first timer

I just posted for the first time yesterday and am equally new. There are a seemingly infinite variety of voices here and many ways out. Why not us. I listened for a while before I joined and there is so much to offer behind the obvious. I look forward to reading about you and what you are thinking about.
        may we be well

Comment

first timer

welcome. also a beer drinker here and what I have learnt in the last few months is that I cannot have just 1 beer and stop. Impossible for me but everyone is different and one will find your own answers. Going AF for a while is a great idea, it is amazine how much the mind clears over time.

Comment

first timer

Hi northwoods, and welcome. Yes, this could definitely be it. Keep reading and posting...and start crafting your plan for an AF life. You can do it!
            ~K.

Comment

first timer

Hi Everyone
              I too am a beer drinker, had 4 this morning and feel so petrified. I just wish i could stop, my son said something to me last night about how he hates me being drunk, and i can't even remember his comment but it hurt and i feel sick with guilt. I'm not going to have another drink today, i will probably have to post alot today, just to get me through.

Comment

first timer

Welcome North and Vogue :welcome: Becoming AF is a challenge, but you can do it and it is so worth it.

There is a toolbox thread in the monthly abstinence section full of lots of good ideas on how to handle cravings and making a plan.

Stay close, read, read, read, post and ask questions. There's lots of support here and you can do this.
                AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

first timer

:welcome: from a day old newbie. I stumbled on this site by accident yesterday and I have been reading almost the whole day today.

I can feel the help and compassion here that I have never felt from friends I try to talk with about wanting to give up the Al.

I will be back here again tomorrow and the day after. And after.

com1
                  Com1

Comment

first timer

I got away for a few days from the site. Drinking everyday. I am overwhelmed by the response. I would like to change and I hope this connection and support from real people that feel the same pain can somehow bring me to a new place. Thank you to everyone that responded and I hope this works. I really want it to. Just one weak person. Need to build up and find the strength to pull it out.
                    northwoods

Comment

first timer

Welcome North . . . and good to see you LBH . . .

The line 'Patience is a Virtue' just came to mind . . .

I can only attest to a couple of things:

1. I happened upon MWO on January 28, 2009 (I love swimming so I jumped right in). I have Never once felt like I was drowning since coming onboard (in this forum). However, prior to arriving I was definitly over my heard and going under fast.

2. The Wonderful Lifesavers here at MWO have helped me realize that even though the waves of life seem overwhelming at times; there is always someone out there to pull you up and into to Boat of Hope.

And for that I am Eternally Gratefulllll!

Place big fat HuGGable here :l

Comment

first timer

Hi Northwood
                        Try & stick with the site, i did & have been sober 4 days now & it's terrific. Try the live chat, sometimes no one is there but keep persevering as it helped me & there are some great guys who listen & who have also been in exactly the same place we have. Its crunch time for me 17.40 on a Friday evening im preparing dinner & i'd be lieing if i said i hadn't thought of a beer, but i sooooo don't want to let this AF feeling go its MAGIC!! yoi can do it stick with us.
                        V xxxxxxx :welcome:

Comment

first timer

Thanks again, I am listening.

Thank you to everyone that responds. It's hard for me to say how I feel. I function everyday, go to work deal with whatever. Then come home and the first thing I want to do is have a drink. It's not like my life is miserable (yet) so I don't know why I do what I do? I am searching for a life ring that will pull me out of where I am (drowning) and let me get on with life. If there is anyone that can relate to any of this, I would love to communicate more. Looking for anything I can grab and that might be the spark to a new fire to REALLY want to change not just think about it.
                          northwoods

Comment

first timer

Hi, I'm Big L, I'm just moving on board, I will talk more later, good luck

Comment

first timer

Hey North. You are looking for meaning. Don't bother. This is a chemical addiction. The magic of alcohol is that it turns your smarts off right away.

Information is power. It is power to understand how your brain and body is responding and pushing you toward the habit. It is power to create new habits to pull away and form new paths.

Keep posting. You are not at all alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X