Wow, found a great article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just noodleing around on the computer this evening. Trying so hard to figure out why I have this damn disease of alcoholism. Sure Sucks!

Stumbled on this article, Wow, some great reading!

Addiction Recovery Skills and Coping Strategies
    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

The First Rule of Recovery

You don't recover from an addiction by stopping using. You recover by creating a new life where it is easier to not use. If you don't create a new life, then all the factors that brought you to your addiction will eventually catch up with you again.

HOLY SHIT!!!!! I THINK THE LIGHTBULB JUST WENT OFF OVER MY HEAD!!!!!!!!

Comment

My..that's a tall order

Comment

Roly... it IS a tall order! Maybe thats why stopping drinking is SO HARD!!!!

I always knew my recovery would involve great change. I guess thats why I always avoid it although in my heart I know my happiness requires it!

Comment

NOW FOR SOME INSPIRATION! (I need it bad)

The Chance to Change Your Life

Your addiction has given you the opportunity to change your life. Changing your life is what makes recovery both difficult and rewarding. Recovery is difficult because you have to change your life, and all change is difficult, even good change. Recovery is rewarding because you get the chance to change your life. Most people sleepwalk through life. They don't think about who they are or what they want to be, and then one day they wake up and wonder why they aren't happy.

If you use this opportunity for change, you'll look back and think of your addiction as one of the best things that ever happened to you. People in recovery often describe themselves as grateful addicts. Why would someone be grateful to have an addiction? Because their addiction helped them find an inner peace and tranquility that most people crave. Recovery can help you change your life.

Comment

Thanks, Overit, avery helpful read.:thanks:
            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Thank you so much Overit! It is amazing to me how even good change is so difficult to achieve. Thanks for the inspiration and food for thought

Comment

Over, I hear ya but for the life of me I can't understand how "your addiction as one of the best things that ever happened to you".

On the contrary it's safe to say that most of the bad things that ever happened in my life has been the result of the drink.

Comment

Hi Smoke.

I think he is talking about "if" you change your life for the better and allow yourself to find new things to enjoy in this life because of the changes you made because of your addiction, then, yes, you may very well look back and see your addiction as one of the best things that has ever happened to you. We are given a chance to grow in recovery as we change our lives. As we grow and change, the world may open up new opportunities because of our willingness to change and this can only be immensely positive.

My 2 cents worth.

com1
                  Com1

Comment

Spot on Com1.

I heard recently someone talking about being grateful for the good and the bad. There's no doubt being grateful for the hard stuff - hell, even just accepting it - is no walk in the park. I think the bottom line is it's all about learning - and as they say, we don't learn that much when things just go right all the time. Some of the best stuff I've learned has been from my most painful lessons. It always seems to boil down to learning how to love I reckon.

Thanks for the inspiring message about changing your life overit :thanks:

Comment

smokey1949;605851 wrote: "your addiction as one of the best things that ever happened to you".
                      I understand the quote to mean that you can make yourself better than you would've been without the addiction -- for me I believe this to be very true.
                      I also believe that I HAD to go through all the crap that I put myself through in order grow. I was a very sort of "iffy" personallity with no sense of self. This last year I have slowly been discovering exactly who I am and you know what, I like who I am becoming.
                      So yeah, having an addiction is hell, but I am grateful that it is a part of my past and not a part of who I am:l
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

This is a seriously good read. Thanks for posting it Over..
                        I particularly was interested in the Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) I never realised this could continue for up to 2 years...
                        Knowing this, I am more ready to deal with it....
                        A great and very helpful article.
                        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Thanks Overit,

I like it :goodjob:
                          Keep on keeping on!

Comment

Avoiding high risk situations was a key tool for me so I really like this bit of the advice. I did this sort of assessment or analysis in my mind every day in advance of even seemingly innocuous events to prevent myself being caught off guard.

Make a list of your high-risk situations. Addiction is sneaky. Sometimes you won't see your high-risk situations until you're right in the middle of one. That's why it's important that you learn to look for them. Make a list of your high-risk situations and to keep it with you. Go over the list with someone in recovery so that can spot any situations that you might have missed. Make the list and keep it with you. Some day that list may save your life.

Comment

hi overit,i like your name,i had to go back and see where you posted,just starting out,are you just starting your sobriety,there are many articles written on addiction,and in other people minds whatever works,i beleive what ever works for you,use it,dont lose it,is an old saying,i thot id add,ive been doing this sober thing for a good ten years now,on as much as off,its a lot of work,i wish you well,keep posting,keep reading ,keep learning,we cant do it when were numb gyco

Comment

Working...
                              X