Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie - Needing some encouragement

Hi this is my first post.

I guess I need to tell a bit about my drinking story first.

I am a 31 year old female and have been drinking for several years. It started as weekends going out and partying and was the accepted thing to do. All of my friends would go out and get wasted. In fact in Australia if you DON?T drink you may as well walk around with a sign that says ?there is something seriously wrong with me?.

I found that as a person with severe anxiety problems that alcohol could take the edge away for me whether it be in social situations or just helping me sleep at night. So over the years I kept on drinking alone. Things have been pretty bad because of my drinking. I have lost count over the number of times I have woken up and not remembered what I did the night before ? only to hear the stories (usually embarrassing) from people the next day. I have very stupidly driven while I was drunk and one time over turned my friends car and charged for DUI. Even this didn?t stop me.

My drinking at home made me miss days from work because I woke up too sick to make it in. I would always make a plausible excuse and funnily enough no one would suspect that I have this problem. One of my favourite things to do on a weekend was just to buy a huge cask of wine and just keep drinking it ? staying indoors all weekend.

My God actually writing this down makes it all the more clearer what REAL problems I have.

I have gone through periods of sobriety and have then thought I had it beaten only to have ?one? drink and for it to turn into 100 instead.

My drinking has interfered with my past relationships. It wasn?t the ending of them but it didn?t help. Now I have met someone I really like and I don?t want to be the ?drunk? girl anymore. Over the past 3 weeks I have not had any alcohol except on the weekends. The only problem was that last weekend I got spectacularly drunk and ended up passing out in front of this guy after apparently verbally abusing him. I was so incredibly ashamed of myself.

I really need to do something that will help me continue. I have purchased the book but am very reluctant to take medication due to some severe reactions I have had to some medications. I am very scared and really need some encouragement.

Hi Polly,

:welcome: There are quite a few Aussies here now - some taking the Topa, others Campral, others are doing supplements only. The great thing about this site is realising that you're not the only one with 'the problem'.

I would suggest you read as many posts as you can absorb - they helped me enormously.

Hope to see you around the traps.

Tawny

Comment

hi polly,

i wrote you along reply and then deleted it so i'll keep this one short.

i am also an australian, who starts with one drink and ends up drinking a hundred and finding myself in a blackout... i always wake up in a state of panic, shame and horror. i get it. i feel for you. it's an awful place to be.

i have given up drinking before without any drugs but just can't seem to do it this time. first of all i tried campral but it did nothing for me. it may work for you apparently it has few side effects ... ofcourse it's one of those very personal choices and something to discuss with your doctor.

i have been on topamax for a few weeks now and am up to 100mg's and it has just started to curb the cravings. (thank god) i have a few side effects - a funny taste in my mouth, off my tucka, and pins and needles in my hands and feet more often than normal. i can live with this far more easlily than that evil mokey begging me to go the bottle shop every two minutes. really it's ok.

i find the cd's really helpful... if i'm having really bad cravings i go for a walk and then listen to the hypnosis cd. i also make sure i eat some protien... ( an doctor suggestion- works well.)... i also take the supplements. i actually find that i have more energy than normal - i haven't found that i am overly tired as others have described. but i don't normally eat so well, exercise and take supplements like these into my body.

i'll be honest with you it hasn't been easy (see my post)... but it is starting to get better... i am having yet aother good day today! and i feel hopeful. i can actually feel myself starting to heal.

i hope you get through the next little while and find some support and the path that is right for you. i know it's very a.a. - but i still find it's so helpful to just go one day at a time.

big hug.

d

Comment

polly
        welcome. I'm a fellow ozzie. I know the feelings you are expressing so well, most of us here do.

Tawny makes a good point... people here try a number of things and they share what they do. Read around the board and see what people have done.

Change is possible.
        Brigid

Comment

Nutrients to help Anxiety

Polly, I have posted many things about amino acid/vitamin therapy for drinkers in the research forum, primarily from the Health Recovery Center, which is also responsible for the books on Sobriety and Depression, but you talked about anxiety so I wanted to repost their excerpt here for you.

"In the 21st century, treatment of mental health issues (alcoholism, depression, anxiety, drug addiction, violent mood swings, etc.) will focus on physical, holistic healing through biochemical restoration, repair, and balance."

Amino Acids have remarkable properties. Glutamine has an amazing ability to control cravings for alcohol and sugar. Tyrosine, Tryptophan, and D-Phenylalanine can promote alertness, lift depression, elevate mood, and control pain by restoring brain levels of endorphins and neurotransmitters.

The blend of eighteen free-form amino acids we call Bio-Aminos provides you with many essential precursors for needed neurotransmitter formation. Free-form aminos have been treated so your body can absorb and use them completely. Often, clients are short on digestive acids and enzymes required for normal absorption. (Incidentally, the protein powders promoted as a means of building muscle mass do not provide predigested amino acids and cannot be substituted for the aminos acids recommended here.)

Building on this base, we can add other amino acids and their cofactors --the nutrients needed to ensure the amino acids are properly absorbed and utilized--to address your specific symptoms.

The relationship between
          brain chemicals, moods and behavior

It isn't surprising that alcoholics whose neurotransmitters have been seriously altered by heavy alcohol use often complain of some of the following symptoms:

Anxiety
          High stress and tension
          Short-term memory loss
          Insomnia
          Fatigue
          Tremors and shakes
          Irritability, sudden anger, violent outbursts
          Poor concentration, high distractibility
          Depression

The information at this site explores many mental illnesses caused by an imbalance or disruption to the brain chemistry: Anxiety, stress, memory loss, insomnia, fatigue, pain control, alcohol-induced tremors, shakiness, anger / violence, short attention span / poor concentration, and The Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome. Information about the replacement formulas needed to correct these imbalances is taken from the book Seven Weeks to Sobriety. All the ingredients discussed are perfectly safe. They are amino acids and other natural chemicals essential to good health. No formula contains drugs of any type.

Anxiety

In the past five years Health Recovery Center has found a biochemical marker for life-long anxiety symptoms, and have been shocked to see that as many as one-third to one-half of the alcoholics we treat have this genetic, chemical imbalance called pyroluria. A lab test measures levels of kryptopyrroles, a by-product of the blood. High levels of these pyrrolles systematically bind with B6 and zinc, preventing the use of these essential nutrients in the brain and body. The result is a myriad of symptoms, including severe inner tension, ongoing anxiety, poor stress control, fearfulness, and sometimes episodic anger. Often such people have pale skin that easily burns, eyes that are sensitive to light, white flecks/marks on their nails, and stretch marks on their skin. They tire easily, have poor dream recall, prefer not to eat breakfast, notice upper abdominal pain when stressed, and experience a "stitch" in their side if they run. They have a tendency to become loners as they age. Alcohol provides them with a way to shut off their anxiety, feel sociable, de-stress, and experience a short time when they feel more normal.

I believe that the high numbers of pyrolurics we treat are being duplicated in all rehabilitation programs. My heart goes out to the many alcoholics in treatment or AA everywhere who are no longer choosing alcohol for relief from their severe anxiety and are now trying to coexist with their symptoms.

The good news is that you can now get the biochemical repair you need to reverse this situation. Table 13 in the book Seven Weeks to Sobriety lays out the HRC Formula for Anxiety. You may, however, need to increase the suggested levels, depending on the outcome of your lab work.

I have learned from experience that very few labs are proficient doing this test. I recommend you use Bio Center Laboratory in Wichita, Kansas (316) 634-7734), as their kryptopyrrolle tests always seem accurate.

The HRC Formula for Anxiety includes the calming amino acids GABA and tryptophan plus vitamins and minerals noted for the soothing effects.

GABA has a powerful calming effect on the brain. In fact, tranquilizers like Valium and Librium work by stimulating the brain's receptors for GABA.

Tryptophan, the precursor of the sleep-inducing neurotransmitter serotonin, also has relaxing and calming effects. Serotonin levels are often low among people with anxiety disorders. A recent study found that 44 percent of alcoholics suffer from anxiety. You can be pretty sure that you are low on tryptophan if you have ever blacked out from drinking. It has been established that low tryptophan stores trigger blackouts.

You will also be taking chromium picolinate to promote conversion of tryptophan to serotonin. It accomplishes this by facilitating absorption into muscle tissue of the amino acids that compete with tryptophan for access to the brain.

Inositol is a B vitamin that has been found to be quite effective treating panic disorder. Inositol works by regulating the action serotonin, a calming neurotransmitter, within the nerve cells. Its safety has been noted up to twenty grams per day. At HRC we find it a powerful brain chemical in reducing anxiety.

In addition to the amino acids discussed above, certain B vitamins are crucial to reducing anxiety. Indeed, the textbook description of anxiety neurosis exactly matches the symptoms of vitamin B3 (niacin) deficiency: hyperactivity, depression, fatigue, apprehension, headache, and insomnia. A deficiency of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) causes extreme anxiety, nervousness, confusion, and melancholy. Vitamin B6 is easily destroyed by heavy use of alcohol, drugs, and refined sugars.

Can B vitamins relieve anxiety? An interesting new study showed significantly decreased levels of anxiety among a group of alcoholics treated with megavitamins. Over a twenty-one-day period, the group took approximately three grams of vitamin C, three grams of niacin, six hundred milligrams of B6, and six hundred international units (IU) of vitamin E per day. A comparison group received only inert gelatin capsules. None of the subjects in either group took antidepressants or anti-anxiety drugs. Anxiety levels among both groups were measured three times over the twenty-one days. They fell dramatically only in the group on megavitamin therapy.

In people with chronic anxiety unrelated to life events, an injection of sodium lactate will trigger a panic attack. Eating a lot of foods high in refined sugar increases blood lactate levels and can induce panic in susceptible persons. The chromium picolinate in the HRC anxiety formula stabilizes blood sugar and helps prevent panic. Eliminating caffeine and alcohol and refined sugars from the diet is essential for anyone suffering from anxiety.:l

Comment

I just want to let everyone know that I had an alcohol free weekend...my first in..well...I can't remember. Is it just me or does life seem kinda boring without it?

Comment

Pollyprissypants wrote: I just want to let everyone know that I had an alcohol free weekend...my first in..well...I can't remember. Is it just me or does life seem kinda boring without it?
              Only because we don't know what to do with ourselves - like normal people do. It gets better.

Comment

I know what your saying Polly, i talk myself into that one all the time..."God i'm too young not to drink" & "Why should everyone else be out having fun and not me"?
                I think a lot of us talk ourselves into having a drink and we stray from the real reason we have decided to do somthing about it in the first place.
                I think you gotta look at the advantages of not drinking...I know i've grown up a lot in the last 10 weeks, like taking respocibility for a lot of things and not hiding behind drink when things get tough.
                Well done for not drinking at weekend...They are the worst...It shows you how serious you are about this.
                Keep it up, you should be proud of yourself....Mac
                I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Bored and drinking

This was my third weekend alcohol free - I am amazed. I understand what you are saying about being bored without booze. My first weekend was horrible. I was really excited because I got my office vacuumed!!

What occurred to me when I really looked at it with wide-open eyes was that I was bored when I was sitting in the pub drinking. Same mudane BS - same drunk complaining about the same crap. Until the buzz hit, I usually stared at the wall hoping someone would talk about something that I would be interested in. What I do know is that I do not want to go back to feeling the way I felt before - I just feel too good now. I wish I wasn't so tired tho.

We were going out to eat three or four times every weekend (an excuse to stop at the pub on the way back). Now, we go out to dinner on Saturday nights - that's it. Ususally, Tom gets a water with me. He drinks at home, but it doesn't bother me.

Yesterday, I went to the pub for the first time - drank two club sodas while we played darts. It was fine - I may do it more often now. In fact, I can drive up there by myself and leave if I get bored because I'm not drunk!

Now that I am not drinking, I cook more and am enjoying it. I am saving money that I was just p!$$!ng away. I am going to more knitting functions because it doesn't interfere with my pub time and getting to know more people. I am also going to take a sewing class and learn how to properly use my machine. Projects are getting done and I am not ending the weekend thinks, where the hell did it go.

The boredom will pass. There's probably always something that you wanted to try - now is the time to give it a shot. Life is better on this side of the bottle.

Barb

Comment

CV1

cv1 wrote: Polly, I have posted many things about amino acid/vitamin therapy for drinkers in the research forum but you talked about anxiety so I wanted to repost it here for you.

"In the 21st century, treatment of mental health issues (alcoholism, depression, anxiety, drug addiction, violent mood swings, etc.) will focus on physical, holistic healing through biochemical restoration, repair, and balance."

Amino Acids have remarkable properties. Glutamine has an amazing ability to control cravings for alcohol and sugar. Tyrosine, Tryptophan, and D-Phenylalanine can promote alertness, lift depression, elevate mood, and control pain by restoring brain levels of endorphins and neurotransmitters.

The blend of eighteen free-form amino acids we call Bio-Aminos provides you with many essential precursors for needed neurotransmitter formation. Free-form aminos have been treated so your body can absorb and use them completely. Often, clients are short on digestive acids and enzymes required for normal absorption. (Incidentally, the protein powders promoted as a means of building muscle mass do not provide predigested amino acids and cannot be substituted for the aminos acids recommended here.)

Building on this base, we can add other amino acids and their cofactors --the nutrients needed to ensure the amino acids are properly absorbed and utilized--to address your specific symptoms.

The relationship between
                    brain chemicals, moods and behavior

It isn't surprising that alcoholics whose neurotransmitters have been seriously altered by heavy alcohol use often complain of some of the following symptoms:

Anxiety
                    High stress and tension
                    Short-term memory loss
                    Insomnia
                    Fatigue
                    Tremors and shakes
                    Irritability, sudden anger, violent outbursts
                    Poor concentration, high distractibility
                    Depression

The information at this site explores many mental illnesses caused by an imbalance or disruption to the brain chemistry: Anxiety, stress, memory loss, insomnia, fatigue, pain control, alcohol-induced tremors, shakiness, anger / violence, short attention span / poor concentration, and The Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome. Information about the replacement formulas needed to correct these imbalances is taken from the book Seven Weeks to Sobriety. All the ingredients discussed are perfectly safe. They are amino acids and other natural chemicals essential to good health. No formula contains drugs of any type.

Anxiety

In the past five years Health Recovery Center has found a biochemical marker for life-long anxiety symptoms, and have been shocked to see that as many as one-third to one-half of the alcoholics we treat have this genetic, chemical imbalance called pyroluria. A lab test measures levels of kryptopyrroles, a by-product of the blood. High levels of these pyrrolles systematically bind with B6 and zinc, preventing the use of these essential nutrients in the brain and body. The result is a myriad of symptoms, including severe inner tension, ongoing anxiety, poor stress control, fearfulness, and sometimes episodic anger. Often such people have pale skin that easily burns, eyes that are sensitive to light, white flecks/marks on their nails, and stretch marks on their skin. They tire easily, have poor dream recall, prefer not to eat breakfast, notice upper abdominal pain when stressed, and experience a "stitch" in their side if they run. They have a tendency to become loners as they age. Alcohol provides them with a way to shut off their anxiety, feel sociable, de-stress, and experience a short time when they feel more normal.

I believe that the high numbers of pyrolurics we treat are being duplicated in all rehabilitation programs. My heart goes out to the many alcoholics in treatment or AA everywhere who are no longer choosing alcohol for relief from their severe anxiety and are now trying to coexist with their symptoms.

The good news is that you can now get the biochemical repair you need to reverse this situation. Table 13 in the book Seven Weeks to Sobriety lays out the HRC Formula for Anxiety. You may, however, need to increase the suggested levels, depending on the outcome of your lab work.

I have learned from experience that very few labs are proficient doing this test. I recommend you use Bio Center Laboratory in Wichita, Kansas (316) 634-7734), as their kryptopyrrolle tests always seem accurate.

The HRC Formula for Anxiety includes the calming amino acids GABA and tryptophan plus vitamins and minerals noted for the soothing effects.

GABA has a powerful calming effect on the brain. In fact, tranquilizers like Valium and Librium work by stimulating the brain's receptors for GABA.

Tryptophan, the precursor of the sleep-inducing neurotransmitter serotonin, also has relaxing and calming effects. Serotonin levels are often low among people with anxiety disorders. A recent study found that 44 percent of alcoholics suffer from anxiety. You can be pretty sure that you are low on tryptophan if you have ever blacked out from drinking. It has been established that low tryptophan stores trigger blackouts.

You will also be taking chromium picolinate to promote conversion of tryptophan to serotonin. It accomplishes this by facilitating absorption into muscle tissue of the amino acids that compete with tryptophan for access to the brain.

Inositol is a B vitamin that has been found to be quite effective treating panic disorder. Inositol works by regulating the action serotonin, a calming neurotransmitter, within the nerve cells. Its safety has been noted up to twenty grams per day. At HRC we find it a powerful brain chemical in reducing anxiety.

In addition to the amino acids discussed above, certain B vitamins are crucial to reducing anxiety. Indeed, the textbook description of anxiety neurosis exactly matches the symptoms of vitamin B3 (niacin) deficiency: hyperactivity, depression, fatigue, apprehension, headache, and insomnia. A deficiency of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) causes extreme anxiety, nervousness, confusion, and melancholy. Vitamin B6 is easily destroyed by heavy use of alcohol, drugs, and refined sugars.

Can B vitamins relieve anxiety? An interesting new study showed significantly decreased levels of anxiety among a group of alcoholics treated with megavitamins. Over a twenty-one-day period, the group took approximately three grams of vitamin C, three grams of niacin, six hundred milligrams of B6, and six hundred international units (IU) of vitamin E per day. A comparison group received only inert gelatin capsules. None of the subjects in either group took antidepressants or anti-anxiety drugs. Anxiety levels among both groups were measured three times over the twenty-one days. They fell dramatically only in the group on megavitamin therapy.

In people with chronic anxiety unrelated to life events, an injection of sodium lactate will trigger a panic attack. Eating a lot of foods high in refined sugar increases blood lactate levels and can induce panic in susceptible persons. The chromium picolinate in the HRC anxiety formula stabilizes blood sugar and helps prevent panic. Eliminating caffeine and alcohol and refined sugars from the diet is essential for anyone suffering from anxiety.:l

CV1,

Can you tell us what you personally take in the way of suppliments?:thanks:

Rachele
                    :h :h :h :h

Comment

You're not alone...

I have set my "start date" for next Monday, August 28th, waiting on the Topa. Everything you have said in your post is what I've felt for years, you can do it! Stay connected here and keep the faith, I have to.

Comment

What sups I take

Rachele,

I take a dose of liquid amino fuel and a dose of liquid vitamin/minerals. I also have bulk MSM (sulphur), l-glutamine and vitamin C which I take when I need extra detox and to help reduce the stress in my system which accumulates and to shut off the cortisol and help rebuild the adrenals.

I also take extra tyrosine, dhea, dl-phenylalanine, gaba, phenibut, 5-htp, pregnenolone, vitamin b complex, zinc, calcium, and magnesium, but not on a massive daily schedule right now.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks guys for the encouragement.
                          Well it's a tough road. My aim is to be able to be a social drinker. Since my last post I can safely say that I haven't been drunk...once. The only thing that I am finding difficult is the thought of alcohol. Even though at nights I may not be drinking, I will be thinking...even after this time. This is especially difficult if over the weekend I have a couple of drinks on a Saturday night. It seems it starts off the cravings again and all I can think of is another drink. As I said in my original post I don't want to take medication as I have had severe reactions to various things over the years. Has anyone tried the herbs on their own or has another method of addressing the cravings?

Comment

Working...
                          X