Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i'm new on here, need some support please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finally had enough of drinking away my weekends......wasting my life.
    Every Monday is the same I say to myself this is it....I am going to be fit and healthy and slimmer...and every Friday comes (well usually starts Wednesday or Thursday).and I think what the hell I want a drink, then all my good intentions go flying out the window.
    I used to have a great figure, and all I see now is a disgusting flabby belly, that hangs over my jeans, and a bloated face. I've always drank, and got away with the weight side of things, but now as I am getting older, the weight is creeping on, well it has for the last 4 years, I've just been dillusional...thinking I could get back my shape anytime, and always thinking....just one more drink.
    The fact of not drinking scares me too death....how stupid is that? We rely on drink so much for social purposes...how can I go a weekend without having a good old drink???
    My day has been a total wipeout (apart from registering on this site), as i sit typing this it is 4.45 in the afternoon, and I've done nothing all day,but stuff my face with carbs! cos my head bangs, and I feel totally sick...all because of the great party we had last night...great at the time...but not now....can't even remeber getting home.
    When will I ever grow up for gods sake....I have 3 children...I've done my partying and wild things....but I'm not ready to hang up my hat yet...I still want to have loads of fun....how do you have fun at parties without drinking....I need to find the answer...cos there is nothing worse...I imagine than seeing a 41 year old women p****sed out her face staggering around? HELP..
    P.S I've used the name FAB ABS as my screen name....cos I'm want them back!!

Hi and welcome from another perth girl.

Right now you are probably feeling really low and are on a chemical downer from the AL so everything seems bad. I know that cycle you are in where you will feel better and in control by wednesday and it all starts again.

You will find heaps of support here and if you ever have any worries just message me.

I have had lots of sober weekends since I came here and I recently realised that to stop drinking I just need to lose the excuses and get on with it. Something I would never have been able to do without the support of everyone on this site.

My bloated face disappears around the 9 day sober. Some people lose weight really quickly, others don't, I guess it depends on your metabolism.

Comment

Hello and Welcome FAB and a Happy Mum's Day to you.
      I can relate completely to what you have said. I have wasted so much of my life being drunk. It just sucks. I was all bloated and out of shape too. I also could not bear the thought of NEVER having a drink, so I just take one day at a time. Have you downloaded the MWO book? It is a great place to start. It will help you to customize a plan for yourself. That good news, since joining MWO, I have lost 20 pounds and I am no longer bloated. I have not be AF the whole time. I have had many slips, but I just keep trying and I have had more alcohol free days since joining the sight that I had in the four years prior to joining. I wish you well as you begin your journey. We are here for you.:l
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Hi all Ezzmae,bdd, seacailin, Wally 22
        Thanks so much for your quick replies its ace!
        I will keep reading and posting.
        I AM FEELING POSITIVE!!
        Lets see how this journey goes,

Comment

I spoke to you on The Next Day Thread FAB. I'm glad to hear you are feeling positive. Keep that up.
          Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
          AF May 23 09 to July 09
          AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Hi Fab Abs and everyone else!

I only found this site today, as I lay in bed, mid afternoon with yet another hangover feeling guilty and crap as my kids brought me mother's day presents in bed. I was surfing the net looking for hangover cures and effects of alcohol on the body and I came across this and have been reading the posts for hours.

When I read your post, Fab Abs, I identified with everything you said - the weight gain, the stuffing face with carbs, the total wipeout of a day (also had same yesterday after Friday nite) - and decided to join the forum. The only difference being I was not out at any parties but sitting at home on the internet drinking too much wine. What a waste of a weekend.

I've been at the stage for a while where I'm sick and tired of drinking, my hangovers get worse and worse. I always end up drinking more than I intend to. I'm going to try to stop for a while anyway and just wanted to say hello.

Comment

Many of us have been in the same situation. Beleive me when I say you can change your life. You have to have determination and it is not easy, but it is doable. There are many tools here but there is no "magic pill'. Use all the tools and find your way out. Remember to never stop trying and to never give up. I wish you both the best.

Comment

Hi BoozyGirl
                Keep posting and let me know how you are going.....we can do this!!
                I've got to work out my plan now....have you made a plan? 30 days, or moderation, or keep off for good?

Comment

time2change;610683 wrote: Many of us have been in the same situation. Beleive me when I say you can change your life. You have to have determination and it is not easy, but it is doable. There are many tools here but there is no "magic pill'. Use all the tools and find your way out. Remember to never stop trying and to never give up. I wish you both the best.
                  Thanks..........how long have you been sucessful in keeping off the drink? I love to hear success stories....will keep me motivated!

Comment

Welcome to a great site Fab Abs and Boozygirl.
                    There's plenty of help and support here.
                    Stick with it. It's hard but so worthwhile

Comment

Welcome Fab abs! I'm pretty new too...I think we've found the right place to be if you want to make a change. You'll find lots of support and ideas here. I can relate to your situation and I'm still working to change, be a better mom, not have to feel guilty or ashamed, feel better, look better....all that.
                      Happy Mother's Day! See you around!

Comment

Thank you to Time2change and Popeye for your kind words of support. I hope you guys are doing OK.

Hi Fab Abs,

Yes, it will be good to have someone at the same stage and we can support each other. Day 2 now and great to have no hangover, do feel a bit sluggish though - at least I'm not working. Moderation has not worked for me in the past as, once I start, I don't know when to stop. I'd like to stop completely for 30 days so I know I can (its gonna be tough), and then take it from there. What about you? Also, I'm in Perth too but from Scotland originally.

And, hi Beginning, how are you getting on with it?

Boozy

Comment

Hey, you folks!
                          Just wanted to let you know that I think this is the best site in the world for folks like us. I'm so glad you found us! I've gotten such wonderful support from people here, and it is SUCH A RELIEF to know that there are others out there who really understand. Good luck, you guys. I look forward to getting to know you better!

PS I agree with what Sea said about not thinking too far in advance. I would HATE the idea of never having another drink, but I can handle today.

Comment

Welcome, Fab Abs! Even if you feel yukky, especially today and tomorrow, please hang in there! I'm on my 7th day AF and, when people say the first couple of days are the worst, they really mean it. It does get easier, and then you begin to feel great! On day 2, I nearly took my BF's head off because he came in the bathroom and started clipping his toenails while I was brushing my teeth. Oooooo....what a major offense, huh? :H I can laugh at myself about it now, but at the time, I was furious.

And hi, Boozygirl. You're not the only one who wasted a weekend night or two with the Internet and a bottle of wine. I especially try to steer clear of e-mail now. Once, I e-mailed my ex-husband (with whom I would never, ever reunite) a sappy MP3 song and I said all sorts of deep & flirty things I didn't mean. The worst is that I didn't remember it until he replied. Ugh!:blush: You know how they fit cars with breathalizers that you have to blow before the engine can start? I should develop a similar device that won't let you e-mail after imbibing too much. Better still, just avoid it!

Take care,

LilBit
                            "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Thanks mica and Lilbit

Taking it in small steps is great advice and sorry but I had to laugh at the emailing your ex-husband story, Lilbit. I've woke quite a lot of mornings and gone straight onto the computer to check I've not said anything too embarrasing to anyone!

This site does seem really supportive and friendly, so I look forward to spending more time on it.

I don't know how much of a drink problem I have but I definitely drink just about every night, I'm way over the recommended units. The nights I don't drink are because I'm too hungover from the previous night. A few stubbies of cider, then at least a bottle of wine in one go is a regular occurence for me no matter what my intentions are with the first drink. The hangovers really kill me (and by the sounds of it on here, will get worse and worse). I get a really bad stomach, feel spaced out and sweaty and don't want to face anyone and eat far too much to try make myself feel better which doesn't work. Also, a couple of people in my family have commented on it and my Dad (who has done AA) has suggested, to my annoyance at the time, that I attend. I'm really fed up with drinking now, I do not do it socially, just in the house mainly. I've probably been drinking too much for 20 years. I used to be a real party girl, always drank more than the rest and was 'proud' of it. I've got into some scrapes over the years due to being too drunk and making a complete fool of myself. That's why I stay in now to drink!

Anyway, thanks for listening and I wish everyone good luck :thanks:

B xx

Comment

Working...
                              X