I'm new and scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new and scared

I'm scared that I will die early and leave my two daughters behind without a mum. I've drunk for 20 odd years but only really heavy for 6yrs. I'm at a point now where I've arrived at a crossroads, and I have to recover or things will deterioate badly. I have a lovely family and lots of friends and a supportive and tolerant husband but every time I try to stop it just doesn't seem to work for me, mind you when I've tried to stop seriously, my husband's been away, my house is undergoing lots of work and I've not had anyone here to support me let alone a friend to stay to help me as they all suggest. I'm crying a lot and feel so alone and really could do with some words of support. I drink two bottles of wine a night most nights. I work every morning at a school, and have kept it going, and seem to carry on as normal but inside I'm crying out for help, I'm unhappy. I've tried AA, used detox medication, antibuse, but I stop when I feel I want a drink in 24 hours. I'm carrying on with every day life, my daughters are not neglected, I cook, clean, act happy to colleagues and I'm great with the kids but inside I'm shrivelling up. Hope to hear from some of you soon xxx

I'm new and scared

:welcome:

I felt exactly the same about being at a crossroads, and knowing I had to stop or things would get worse and worse.

This place is one of the things that's helped me stop - and I was drinking about the same amount as you.

There's lots of info here and several daily threads that you can join to get regular support.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

I'm new and scared

:welcome: Tomorrow! You have come to a wonderful and supportive place. Have you downloaded the book yet? It is so full of great information to aid you in quitting AL (alcohol). Do you think you could give AA or meds a try again in conjuction with MWO?

Keep reading and posting. You have taken the first step and you are going to get support and encouragement for every step you take.

Again, welcome!

Comment

I'm new and scared

Hi, New!

Yep, you have found just the place to help you. I know, because it is helping me, tremendously. I also worked at a school, and I bet that most of the people I worked with would never have guessed how much wine I drank at night. You will find that this site is wonderful and supportive, and that everyone here knows just how you feel, and will understand entirely. Keep reading and posting.

You show tremendous fortitude for what you have done, and a lot of heart for trying again. You can do this! Good luck!

Comment

I'm new and scared

Hello and Welcome Tomorrow
          I can feel your pain in your post. Please stick around and let us know how we can help. You can do this, but none of us can do this alone. I use MWO and AA. I need all the help that I can get. I can totally relate to your inner conflict.:l
          "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

I'm new and scared

Tomorrow,
            Admitting the problem is 50% of the battle. Glad you found our site. Read, read, read and you will hear your story from others.
            There's a lot of support.
            Good luck and we're all here to help you.
            Hugs,
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I'm new and scared

Welcome tomorrow.

You are great to have posted and made a start. I very much hope this will be the start of your journey to success. You will find many tools here to help, such as drink tracker and tool box. There are all sorts of people with the whole range of backgrounds. You will naturally fnd some people have more in common with yourself that might be the most informative, but there is no doubt that everyone will try and assist in any way they can. This a wonderful community, both for advice and coping strategies, but also helping with lifes little difficulties so that hopefully the beast doesnt win.

Try and commit to not drinking for one day and then take it one day at a time after that. If you are concerned about withdrawal, seek advise from others that have experienced it.

Best wishes and good luck

Moo
              "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
              but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

I'm new and scared

Hi Tomorrow, I know just how you feel. It does get better, if you don't drink. I have been to a AA meeting this evening and feel so much better for it. I thought I would never feel good again, but once you stop drinking things start to improve. Take it one day, hour 5 minutes at a time if nescessary.

Wishing you well.

Comment

I'm new and scared

Welcome Tomorrow,

Get those first few AF days under your belt and you will be amazed.............
                  You will feel so much better, your thinking clears and you suddenly start to feel a bit proud of yourself.
                  Be sure to use the CDs, I believe they really reinforce your desire to stay away from alcohol.

All the best,
                  Lavande
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I'm new and scared

Hey tomorrow,

Well, I'm old and scared, LOL! I have a weird sense of humor so don't mind me. I'm a 2 bottle of wine of Chardonnay a night gal, too, functional, with 2 kids. It'll kill me if I don't get it under control so that's what I've decided to do. Hang in here with us, keep talking and reading. I suggest reading the My Way Out book, too.

I believe you're becoming depressed because of your alcohol intake. You may want to research that a bit. Just a suggestion.

Stay with us, you'll be ok. We're all in the same boat.

Love,
                    Be
                    "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

I'm new and scared

Hi Tomorrow and all others. I stumbled in here about a week ago and have found myself spending more and more time each day reading the posts. Some of the entries that were posted months and months ago have as much power and insight as a post that is was made five minutes ago. I am an AA'er and frankly this forum is a wonderful compliment to the 12-steps, in my humble opinion. I wish you well in your journey and as Paula said it's one day at a time.

Blu
                      sigpic

If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. ~ Will Rogers ~

Comment

I'm new and scared

Hi Tomorrow! I too am a relatively well functioning (from the outside) daily wine drinking mother. Welcome to a place where you're not alone. This site has helped me tremendously with the isolation. The supps help with the craving. Reading posts daily is helping me move toward my goals and to believe a life without AL might actually be a good thing and attainable! In a few weeks, I've been able to cut down tremendously, had a few bad days, and I keep learning about what my triggers are and what helps and what get me in trouble. See you around.:welcome:

Comment

I'm new and scared

welcome tomorrow,its very hard at the beginning,but there are lots of lovely people here who can & do help,good luck:welcome:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I'm new and scared

Welcome to MWO, where we are all here in the same boat. Fighting to survive. You couldnt be in a better place!
                            Stay close, read the posts, and join in our your new road to AL FREE living
                            DLW
                            Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
                            And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
                              Today is a Mystery
                              Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

I'm new and scared

Welcome ! I am new here - for the THIRD time! I am a totally functioning professional mother of three great kids, great husband, great friends and a total WINO. I am AF three days now and can totally feel the difference. It is damn hard though. We can do this. Keep posting and reading. These folks are awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X