Does drinking cause hair loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lovely strands have been thinning over the last 2 years, I have been drinking almost daily for 5. I now can see my scalp when I make a ponytail, I could not before.
    Someone told me that alcohol causes hair loss, anyone know?
    "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

I've found that yes it does......after drinking I find myself pulling my hair and asking ....Why !?! Ha! IAD.
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

I am sure that alcohol depletes your body of vitamin and minerals and that can't be good for your hair, skin or any part of your body for that matter. I am not sure how it directly effects hair loss ?? I was losing hair when I was taking topamax. i think that is a fairly common side effect. Now that I have a year sober and take the recommended MWO vitamins and supplements and exercise regularly my skin and hair are nice and healthy again. I feel sure the same thing will happen for you.
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Ever seen a bald wino?

Sorry Swans, seriously, i don't think so especially. Hasn't affected me. It could be your genes, past or present stress, or both?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I WOULD SAY JUST WORRYING WAY TOO MUCH .. ITS HAPPENING TO ME IM LOSING MY HAIR ^^&$^
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

IAD, LMAO

I agree with evie. That's why when we quit drinking people remark on how much younger, better, etc. we look. "We", being drinkers.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I've been dealing with hair loss for years now. It seems that the receding hairline business began when I was in high school but before I started drinking. However, it has progressed at a rapid pace these last few years. Male pattern baldness runs in my family though and my diet and eating/nutrition habits are horrible, so I can't say that the hair loss is definitely related to the drinking. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if my drinking has contributed to it. Alcohol does so many vile things to our bodies. I'm sure drinking is not helping matters if you're pre-disposed to hair loss.

Comment

IAD.......YOU ARE TOO FUNNY!!!!! Thanks for your replies, I think that one part is genes, one part stress and another part of me wanting to confirm that alcohol is not good for me. Deep inside I know that A is doing nothing good for my looks.

Comment

I found a quote on hairlossbuddy.com A study was done at North Carolina State University (relating to men)
                  "Alcohol = Excess Estrogen = Potential Hair Loss"

My personal hair loss experience was related to changing hormone levels and the Rx drug Fosamax. Once I stopped the Fosamax and got my hormone levels straightened out the hair loss stopped. I do know that other medications can cause hair loss as well.

Good luck with that.........
                  Lavande
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Drink yourself bald...

Hell yes I?ve been drinking for years (not now) and it must have knocked out the brain cells undermy hair, as I?m showing the results of tubs of hair loss medication over the years.

Bashley

Comment

Bashley, I HAVE MISSED YOUR BEAUTIFUL HEAD OF HAIR !!!!!!!!!!!!
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I have to say that I was losing my hair during my heavy drinking days. I also notice now that if I am having some red wine; the next day I lose more hair when brushing.

Alcohol also robs the body of b-vitamins which is essential for healthy hair.

When I stopped drinking/smoking my hair grew back in nicely. I guess the ol' saying goes that if we keep polluting our bodies with chemicals and poison - it is going to start to shut down and act out.

Take a b-vitamin supplement and this should help somewhat if you are still drinking. I take one in the morning and one before bed.

Also, some shampoos are bad for your hair. If you buy the cheap ones with heavy detergents.... they can promote an unhealthy scalp which can lead to hair loss if you are sensitive to detergents.

Comment

Thanks all, I do take B- vitamins Accountable 4 me, but only in the morning. I will take more and I need to work on the drink less aspect.
                          Thanks for all your responses.

Comment

Silly point really, but when my hair was long ( past my shoulders) I started to worry it was falling out. Now I have it short, doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe just length more obvious? But obviously as Evie says, drinking depletes vitamins and all our bodies need them, hair too.
                            Pipsqueak

Comment

Working...
                            X