Hungry - good foods for liver recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been really hungry since I quit drinking on Saturday 5/16 - almost a whole week now -

What are some healthy foods to aid liver recovery? I am pretty sure mine has a lot of recovering to do after years of abuse.

Thank you all,
    --Steve

Wonderful on the week!!

I don't know where you are, but bitter melon (oriental markets) is very good, but I must warn you..... bleah. So are dandilion greens. Carrots.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Thanks greeneyes. I'm Northeast USA. Dandelion greens.. ooh, I like those, and can get them free from my lawn this time of year I have been craving huge salads, so I'll make one with the dandelion greens for dinner tonight.

Nice recipes on your profile page!

--Steve

Comment

Liver for the LIVER ....sad but true !!!!!!!!!!! ....LOL
        Shellfish is good !!!
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hi DoneD . . .

Excellent questions . . . with Great responses.

Sherri, fruits are my all time fav., rice, fish, chicken ummmm, eggs not so much eakkk but I still have them once in a while. Liver once a year or so cuz hubby loves the stuff.

Dandilion greens, we have 'no shortage of those' at this very time but how would you eat them? Do you cook them or what? What about that milky stuff that's in the stem?

Comment

I "just say no" to liver. My nose wrinkles just to think about it. In fact, I don't get it evielou - it's like the garbage pail of the body. If it was from a free range elk from organic paradise.... maybe. And shellfish too. They are scavangers - bottomfeeders. I love shellfish but how can they be good for a gasping liver? They even tell you not to eat oysters if you think your liver is weary. I'm probably showing my ignorance here and should have researched it before I opened my mouth. I have to get back to the hole so maybe someone will enlighten me whilst I work.

Oh yeah, the dandilions are the leafy parts, don't eat the stems. And pick them before the blooms turn into the puffball things. Like anything, they are best fresh in salads but I guess you could steam or blanch or saute whatever. I'm not crazy for them. I don't like bitter very much.
            sigpic

Comment

I'll have to share my recipe for Remake sometime. Pronounced ra...mak...eee. It's a Chinese dish made with chicken livers, water chestnuts and bacon. Marinated and baked.... it's great for an houre' dourve. Sorry about my spelling.

Blu
              sigpic

If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. ~ Will Rogers ~

Comment

OK now THAT I might eat. That actually sounds good.
                sigpic

Comment

I doubt it helps your liver, but for cravings and glucose balance I swear by oatmeal cookies. Better to make your own to control sugar and eliminate the butter. But lots of good carbs in them and that helped me a lot as my body adjusted to burning carbs instead of AL.

Comment

HI!
                    So, I actually do know how to use dandelions in foods. Yes, you can use the greens, and they are terrific for you, but be very careful to not pick them where they might have been sprayed. And, they are really only palatable when brand new in the spring. I think we are too late for them, now. However, the tight buds before the yellow appears on the blossoms are yummy sauteed in olive oil. And what a great way to avoid the seed heads! I use the sauteed blossoms in omelets, but they also make an interesting side dish, if you can get enough of them. (As if that's a problem.)

Also especially good for us, my favorite AF drink, pomegranate juice. Very high antioxidant.

And there are plenty of liver detox teas in the health food section of the grocery store.

Great question! I look forward to more ideas.

Comment

greeneyes;619334 wrote: I "just say no" to liver. My nose wrinkles just to think about it. In fact, I don't get it evielou - it's like the garbage pail of the body. If it was from a free range elk from organic paradise.... maybe. And shellfish too. They are scavangers - bottomfeeders. I love shellfish but how can they be good for a gasping liver? They even tell you not to eat oysters if you think your liver is weary. I'm probably showing my ignorance here and should have researched it before I opened my mouth. I have to get back to the hole so maybe someone will enlighten me whilst I work.

Oh yeah, the dandilions are the leafy parts, don't eat the stems. And pick them before the blooms turn into the puffball things. Like anything, they are best fresh in salads but I guess you could steam or blanch or saute whatever. I'm not crazy for them. I don't like bitter very much.
                      I understand what your saying about the garbage pail of the body but .....that is exactly what my homeopathic Doctor said to eat...He said (like cures like)??? The shellfish was stressed to me maybe not because of the liver needing it as much as the fact that I was so low on iron and the shellfish was high in Iron ???...(that I am not sure of) ??? but the Dr. said (Liver for the Liver)...that I know ..........maybe I should look for a new doctor Greenie ........What do you think ???
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Gee evie, I don't know, like cures like makes sense. But you know what? After an AF year, I bet it's not an issue!
                        sigpic

Comment

For the liver...

water - and lots of it. With squeezed lemon!!!! This will detox your liver and other organs.

Eggs are also a great way to detox the liver. Just don't eat too many.

Milk Thistle will detox it as well.

I can't emphasize enough how important drinking water with lemon, and the health benefits from this are! It is the best!

Comment

schizandra extract too. but if you're drinking, don't take it.
                            sigpic

Comment

I agree warm water with lemon is supposed to be great. Also raw veggies are awesome for detox. I eat everything raw

Comment

Working...
                              X