Challenged AL tonight and won!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been lurking around mwo for a few months now and reading posts. I am a W/E bingedrinker.My W/E usually starts on a Thursday (tonight) and ends on a Sat. I have been drinking heavily on these nights for about 30 years. I used to drink every night but with the support of my wife I have been able to ruduce my drinking nights to about 3 days a week.For some reason when Thursday comes I just cant resist the temptation to drink and I hate what it does to me and the way it has controlled my life. Tonight after work I went to my usual bottle shop to stock up. I had 2 bottles of wine at the counter and looked at them. I thought to myself whilst shaking and feeling sick...... you are no longer going to do this to me;you are no longer going to control me and I walked out of the store empty handed. I have never challanged the bottle this way before. I had been thinknig all day about MWO and its wonderful community of people and how many of you have approched the problem of AL. Thanks so much for your posts and good luck tommorrow and the W/E I hope it is a AF one!! Johno:thanks:
    Boozer

Wow Johno, that is amazing! that you had the bottle in your hand and let it go....
    sounds like you are ready for this now mate.
    Go for it!
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Well done Johno, beat the bottle - one day at a time, Hang tough for the weekend you can do it!

Taz

Comment

Good going Johno.

Comment

Well John i have given in many times every day is a challange not to have a drink.

Comment

oops Meant to say well done not long awake and having my coffee at the pc. Good morning from Ireland.

Comment

Great to hear that. Just get so mad about the damn stuff that you hate it!:goodjob:

Comment

Good on you Johno, its a great feeling to be proud of ourselves when it comes to AL for a change. Keep up the good work. You say you hope the w/end is Af, why not pop into the wekend thread for binge drinkers I have just started.
                Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hi Johno

The time to stop is now!! Well Done. It's so easy to put off the dreaded quitting day til tomorrow....and then tomorrow...and then tomorrow. Draw a line in the sand and make today the beginning! You sound like you are mentally ready and that is the toughest part. I agree with KTAB, join the AF weekend thread and you will be so proud of yourself on Monday.
                  If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

Comment

Congratulations Johno! Sounds like a great step forward. I know what you mean about feeling disgusted with the control AL has over us. For me it's been worth every bit of pain to get free. Sending you strength vibes!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Congratulations Johno,
                      The fact that you left the shop empty handed says a lot. I'm also a weekend binger - except my weekend run from Friday evening through to Sunday. Hating myself every Monday.
                      See you in the weekend thread.
                      make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Johno;632566 wrote: I have been lurking around mwo for a few months now and reading posts. I am a W/E bingedrinker.My W/E usually starts on a Thursday (tonight) and ends on a Sat. I have been drinking heavily on these nights for about 30 years. I used to drink every night but with the support of my wife I have been able to ruduce my drinking nights to about 3 days a week.For some reason when Thursday comes I just cant resist the temptation to drink and I hate what it does to me and the way it has controlled my life. Tonight after work I went to my usual bottle shop to stock up. I had 2 bottles of wine at the counter and looked at them. I thought to myself whilst shaking and feeling sick...... you are no longer going to do this to me;you are no longer going to control me and I walked out of the store empty handed. I have never challanged the bottle this way before. I had been thinknig all day about MWO and its wonderful community of people and how many of you have approched the problem of AL. Thanks so much for your posts and good luck tommorrow and the W/E I hope it is a AF one!! Johno:thanks:
                        Johno, it becomes easy to go weekends with-out booze. Think how good you felt, after awhile, you'll feel so much better, and all the money saved. There will be torturing momemts, we all have to endure, thats part of fighting back. Keep on keeping strong. It can be done..thats how we stop drinking.

:goodjob:
                        An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Well done Johno!

It's funny how you develop little routines with AL and how certain things trigger you off?

It's admirable that on your 'Thursday' temptation day you gave AL the two fingers!
                          I wish you well for the rest of the weekend as I know that can be the most challenging.

I find that in the early days that you can't stop fighting for your life however, but as time goes on and you get more AF days under your belt, it does get easier!

Big hugs
                          Manisha xoxo
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wildflower.
                          Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                          And eternity in an hour.

Comment

well done the first part is setting it down i hope that you and your wife benefit from your actions goodluck from ireland
                            try never stop trying and when your beaten remember your friends they may not have faces they may not have voices but they are there and they care so get up and try again ,,,never stop:goodjob:

Comment

Working...
                            X