Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought I would be different as a sober person...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... and I started off feeling different ... but after the several days of yucky withdrawals, up-and-down emotions, anxiety, insomnia, fears of dealing with everyday life, wondering if my days and nights would be boring or scary, etc... I have turned out to be the SAME person I was before I stopped drinking every day -- except I'm way more alert and awake and smart now. Interesting!

"Life" is certainly better, but I'm talking about the inner "me" .. the me that I always was, booze or no booze.

So ... TV is actually still fun to watch - imagine that. I still like to sit and do the puzzles in the newspaper. I can still relate to the people I talked to every day, but without alcohol in my system now. I can actually get to sleep - that's a cool one. Another cool one is that I'd stopped corresponding (via computer) with a certain online friend during my first week of withdrawals, because I'd always chatted while drinking, and it just didn't seem worthwhile or "fun" if it was done sober .. Well, that passed .. and it's the same as it used to be - very nice. And the list goes on.

Turns out that the stuff I enjoyed while drinking, I still enjoy sober. It came back to me. It took a week or so for it to come back, but it came back .... and is so much better.

Just wanted to share!
    AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Inspiring!
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
    AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Yep I am who I am ........or as St. Germain would say, I am that I am !!!
      Kinda reminds me of the old book title. No matter where I go, there I am.
      just can't get away from that fact and to tell you the truth i am so very happy that I can't get away from me cause I really, really like the person that i am and enjoy being around myself even more sober than i did when i was all numbed up from drinking alcohol.
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

You go girl!!!

Comment

!!

Comment

wow, that's great!

Cat, you can write compelling captions! I was thinking maybe you felt disappointed, but sounds like you're experiencing a gentle brightness. You've really worked hard for this, and glad it's still going well.
            Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

I know how you feel Cat.......why discuss problems you longer have....start to help others. because it helps you to do so. Begin to discuss things that make you stronger in your soberity....exercise, read , jion different thread clubs, etc. MWO has a lot topics and shareing that can make you grow as a sober person. IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

That is fabby Cat!!!
                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Cat~

This is so beautiful to hear.
                  You inspire~
                  :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Thanks for all the positive notes, everyone ... much appreciated ... I couldn't have done this at this time without you all.

Haha - I can see now how my post might have started out sounding kinda negative .. lol. I'm still early in being sober.. and am just so amazed that I'm still "me" .. all the thoughts that went on in my head before are still there -- the enjoyable thoughts and other stuff are still enjoyable without booze, and the other not-so-nice thoughts and things are sooooo much easier to deal with, or let go, with a clear mind.

If only I'd have known that before .... If only there was some magic way, while still drinking and miserable, to have a quick look at being completely sober ... to really "feel" what we're fighting for.

Keep on fightin' !

Comment

Brilliant CAT. Great post. I know what you mean. The more time that passes and the more things you do sober that you used to associate with booze, the more this is reinforced. Your a star, keep it up.

love Moo
                      "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                      but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

That is great cat. I enjoy your posts muchly. I'm glad to hear that things are good. I have been a little afraid of what life would be like sober. Sounds like the same but better. I'm crawling now, but I hope to walk soon.
                        Rehab is for quitters!

Comment

Fear of the Unknown can be a powerful enemy!!
                          It can prevent you or cause you to postpone doing the 'right thing' for way too long.

Does this mean that we're basically all chickens?? I don't think so. Stepping into unchartered territory can be terrifying. For me, I had trouble remembering what it was like, what I was like being sober 24/7.

Fear not friends, you just may surprise yourselves, I did
                          Every day is nicer, I'm nicer and am looking forward to good things - you can too

Hang in there everyone, you just may be pleasantly surprised when the new you emerges!!!!
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Cat I have enjoyed reading your posts of late! You may find that as you spend more time sober and start exploring yourself a bit more, you will become more than you ever anticipated.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Big ol' (( hugs )) to all of you ..

Comment

Working...
                              X