26 hours sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

26 hours sober

So I have decided to discuss my embarassing demons with the world.

Not exactly sure where to start, but I know I need to talk through this stuff.

I just recently got divorced, and my drinking was definitely a contribution to the downfall of the marriage.

Since my ex moved out, I've been drinking 6 or more drinks usually daily. I always hated it when she asked me not to have another beer. She was protecting me, I now see that. I just felt controlled then.

To make matters worse, work has reached a incredibly stressful fever pitch, which also makes me want to escape down a rabbit hole every night. I have a level of stress and job responsiblity that awakens me in the middle of the night or causes me not to sleep at all. I have contemplated suicide several times.

Just after the separation, I was working out 5-7 times a week and in the best shape of my life at 34, I had been channeling divorce rage into weightlifting. Now, I feel a pain in my abdomen and have noticeably gotten 2" fatter around my waist, and lost alot of that hard earned muscle. Basically two months of binging has taken a toll already. Maybe its the junk food I mindlessly eat when I am buzzed.

I celebrated my divorce with a huge party. Since I picked the keg up at 10am, I was pretty sloshed when my guests arrived (my party that started at 5pm). I did or said something horrible to my best friends wife (which I cannot remember) and they no longer talk to me.

I realized Monday AM when I woke up on the couch with a busted beer bottle next to the couch, that I am not being a good dad in this state. That's the second time I have fallen asleep on the couch on the precious days when they stay with me. This could completely blow my custody rights. After waking up, I go to work, felt not so good, then got some more beer that night. Tuesday, unable to work thx to hangover. So I'd written the day off, might as well go back for more beer. I sometime feel like a mindless robot, just going to the grocery store without even wanting to.

My lost productive time is definetly not helping the work stress at all, just compounding matters. I want to pull myself together, be a better dad. I've gone 4 days or more in the past month without drinking and had no withdrawl symptoms. I know I need to stop before I damage my body permanently.

26 hours sober

Hi Gearhead and welcome. What's your plan? It'd be a good move to make one. Do you have beer/alcohol in the house? Some people can and not touch it, others just can't. I think my personal advice would be to get back to working out. A lot of people here swear by the power of exercise!
    Others will be along behind me to welcome and advise, read, stick close and you'll get to where you want to be.

Take Care

Bets.
    Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

26 hours sober

Hi Bets,
      I really want to moderate, but first I must prove that I am in control. Going to start by trying to stay dry for a week. No beer in the house. If its in the fridge then I'll want to drink it.

Comment

26 hours sober

Sounds like a good plan to begin with!

Bets

[/COLOR]

Comment

26 hours sober

Hi Gearhead and :welcome: ! It's good to hear that you have a start of a plan. You have made the initial first step by coming here and admitting the problem. :goodjob: Have you downloaded the MWO book? It is a great read and can also help you formulate a plan just for you. I would go back to the exercising too. It does help! Take care, stay close, and I look forward to knowing you.

Comment

26 hours sober

Welcome Gearhead and thanks for sharing your story with us. Alcohol just makes everything in life so much more complicated. I am happy to see that you have realized that and are taking steps to better your life. Take care and post often, the people here are great and very supportive.
            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

26 hours sober

hi gear,moderation ,ive answered a lot of threads this morning but yours is most interesting,seeing tht i have so much time on my side now,youve lost your wife,you jepredise your childrens safety,and you say moderation,ive been doing this Al thing for a while,and id hate to see you go thro what i did,you dont seem to rememeber what happens with a broken beer bottle,amagine if it was a broken child,car crash,buring fire,when i was in treatment many stories like that,i do beleive you should think of trying 30 days for a while,see how you feel then. ,my13 year old son had to drive home one nt,cause dad was to drunk. trust me this was hard,we didnt die , but he remembers it, in AA i beleive they call this the 4th step,admitting ones past. gyco i do wish you well

Comment

26 hours sober

Welcome gearhead! There is an ODAT thread (one day at a time) that you might like. You just try to get through THAT day with no AL. Then on to the next one. There is also drink tracker on this forum in which you record the number of drinks you had (or hopefully didn't) in the box each day. Good luck. You know this will help your life immensely!
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

26 hours sober

Welcome!

Hi, Gearhead,
                  I'm glad you found us. There is a lot of support here, from folks who really know the score. Keep reading and posting, and you'll make it. Step by step. And, yes, the ODAT thread is a good one. Welcome!:welcome:

Comment

26 hours sober

Gyco;638628 wrote: my13 year old son had to drive home one nt,cause dad was to drunk. trust me this was hard,we didnt die , but he remembers it, in AA i beleive they call this the 4th step,admitting ones past. gyco i do wish you well

Yeah gyco, I had forgotten all about the time I drove my whole family home at age 13 because my stepfather got drunk and slid off the road, after getting into a drunken fight with my mom and leaving drunk and upset since she had drunkenly lost her wedding band in a river. I have so many bad memories of alcohol, both personal and family. There were also good times too, drinking with friends in the back yard, but the bad simply overshadow them.

Comment

26 hours sober

Gearhead,

I hear so much pain from you, and see a long history of AL abuse in your life. The memories you have from childhood stick with a person for life, so good for you for recognizing the effect AL is having on you and your kids.
                      I am in day 5 myself, so new too. My advice is to get a plan together with a MD. If you are drinking all day you will probably have withdrawal, and having help to get through that makes the tough task so much easier. It's amazing how after 4 AF days the world seems so much brighter.
                      I look forward to hearing more.
                      Tulipe
                      Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                      AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

26 hours sober

Up to 48 hrs now! This weekend will be tough though, no kids. Wish me luck. I feel so much better than I did two days ago except I can't sleep at all. I don't have insurance so a MD is not an option, but I really only have inability to sleep as my only symptom. OTC sleep meds seem to keep me up.

Comment

26 hours sober

Have you tried tylenol pm? Benadryl puts some people out. Even without, tonight's sleep should be better. Hang in there.
                          Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                          AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

26 hours sober

Well I did NOT make it through the weekend at all. I made it 3 days. I'm not going to beat myself up, instead try to beat the 3 day record this week.

Comment

26 hours sober

Where did you get to in the weekend? I found that Friday Nights were my nemesis.

Bets

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X