Can any one relate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can any one relate

I had my family over this afternoon for a cookout. Normally my family functions involve heavy drinking. Everyone knows my struggles with alcohol and excessive drinking. No one brought alcohol, I did not provide any alcohol, and nobody drank. I want a drink so bad. My seventy year old dad just fell asleep and snoring watching the golf tournament on TV. I want that. I got to go cook some steaks. I hope every one is having a good Saturday.

Can any one relate

Golfpro, hang in there - it'll pass!! I think its absolutely wonderful that you are surrounded by such a supportive family!! Just think how you'd feel if they were drinking. You can come here and say to us you want one badly, and I'm sure you do. You know it's not worth it. It simply can't improve being surrounded by loved ones that support you. That rocks!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Can any one relate

Golfpro,

I'll bet we can all relate, one way or the other. As Greenie said - it will pass.
      Try to focus on all the good things to come, I do. Think about waking up with no hangovers, think about all the extra $ in your wallet and mostly, think about how proud you will be when you can say 'I don't drink'.

This process is very hard but totally worth it

Wishing you the best!
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Can any one relate

Golfpro; sounds to me like you did a great job today. i know its tough but you did it. you should be proud of yourself.

Comment

Can any one relate

hang in there it does get easier
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Can any one relate

Thanks every one. Cacky I didn't do that great of a job. I did cook every one dinner, but I snuck a couple of drinks when no one was looking. I feel guilty as hell. I made every one feel like they couldn't drink, which was not my intention, and then I had a couple of drinks. It wasn't much and I don't think any one noticed. It is so exhausting being a drunk. lol. Thanks again.

Comment

Can any one relate

Golfpro, it IS exhausting being a drunk. I can absolutely relate to that. I wish I had a nickel for every hour I spent planning my drinking and figuring out how to "hide" it and being resentful towards everyone around me who was "preventing" me from being able to drink as much as I wanted, etc. etc. etc. There IS A BETTER WAY!! Freedom from all that in addition to freedom from hangovers and such is huge. The journey is not easy, but if you want sobriety more than you want to continue being a drunk, you can have it.

And what a bonus having a family that is supportive! Icing on the cake.

Welcome to MWO and strength to you on the journey.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Can any one relate

Hi Golfpro,
                you are in the very early days of sobriety, everything does seem like such a mammoth effort and it can also make us feel totally alienated within our familie, friends and day to day life.
                It passes, it get easier. Life will get better if you let it.
                Keep going.
                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Can any one relate

Golfpro,
                  I can certainly relate. At some point, the cumulative guilt involved in living a lie exceeded the constant desire to drink and that drove my change.
                  Keep trying,
                  Tulipe
                  Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                  AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Can any one relate

Golfpro, drop the guilt. i would have done the same thing although im such a bad drinker that i know that everyone would know the moment i took a drink. because of that when i do drink right now i drink alone. bummer.

Comment

Working...
                    X