• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All. I just want to say Hi

Hi

Hi James,
    You have come to the right place for support, and my wish for you is that you will get really serious about kicking the habit. I get the feeling that you are still young - many of us have wasted many years of our lives with AL, the deadly beast.
    All the best.
    make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

James, wow 8 months. that is awesome. you can do it again. give yourself some credit for that. stick with us we will help get you through it. congrats on another 24 hours

Comment

Hi jessie

I am so serious about this! I am caught in such a hard place, with my parents looking at me as being weird for trying not to drink. Their answer to everything has always been 'have a drink, you'll feel better'
        Luckily for me i have a sister who doesn't drink (she realised early on from my parents it was not such a good thing)
        I just feel really guilty, as i try so much not to drink and feel i let my sister down!

I'm 33 and have pretty much wasted half of my life already. I am ready to stop now! i need to stop!

I look forward to making friends here and understanding in some way how to deal with this.

Comment

Welcome James.
          I too was 33 when I found MWO -- it was the best day of my life.
          There is loads of support and understanding here.
          Post daily and keep reading and learning.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

:welcome: james your with the right people comming here:goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi James,
              Welcome to you. There is loads of support here.
              It sounds like your parents might have a problem with drink too?
              Thats probably why they make you feel guilty for wanting to address yours.
              Coming here will help you with that guilt I think.
              Well done for taking that difficult first step
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hello and Welcome James
                "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Nice to meet you, James. You've found a great site here. As you fight toward an ALcohol-free life, make a promise to yourself that you're not going to let anyone's negative comments, or non-understanding, make you feel bad or guilty in any way, OK? A lot of times when people brush aside these types of decisions or changes is because they can't or don't want to deal with the change, or because they're jealous in a way, or because they know they have a similar problem and don't want to address it at this time. That's their problem.

But this is your life; your choices ... Your happiness and your future are on the line.

Go for it! And stick with us .. lots of reading and learning and understanding and friendship here.
                  AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Thank You all!

Thanks everyone for your comments. It helps a lot!

I must admit to relapsing and now feel pretty bad!

Does anyone else have a sense that the world as it is, doesn't actually feel real there and then and you only realise what happened when it has passed??

I'm a photographer and often look at my photos, which capture a moment, Yet i only appreciate that moment from the photo, not when i'm there taking it.

One day i hope to live life as it happens and not always look back!

All the best to everyone. :-)

James

Comment

James,
                      It's not the end of the world to relapse - the important thing is to get back on track the next day and continue to take it ODAT.
                      I agree that life seems to pass so quickly that we don't have time to appreciate it. I see that with raising children. I'm so caught up in our daily list of to do's that I forget to enjoy them. That's a nice thing about grandparents - they can really enjoy the kids because they don't have the deep responsibility.
                      Back to photography - at least you do take the time to appreciate the moment in the photo rather than just moving on. And I think that it takes time to make sense of things sometimes, which is why after the fact some of the moving pieces seem more logical, or at least understandable.

I find that being (nearly) AF I am enjoying life more as it happens. I hope to start looking forward to things too.
                      Good luck to you,
                      Tulipe
                      Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                      AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X