Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The journey starts with the first step...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:new:
    Happened to stumble across this site, obviously for a reason...
    I would like to think that I do not have a drinking problem, but I do. I can not seem to stop at just one glass of wine, and I drink wine like water. I do not have this problem with beer, or other drinks. As a matter of fact, I do not care for hard liqour.

My downfall was/is red wine...it seemed to start getting out of control though. My moods were altered, especially around mensturation times, I would think delusional thoughts about my partner, most of our relationship issues would be alcohol related.

I feel crappy and burnt out in the mornings and I hide my wine sometimes...
    I accept that this is a problem and then switched to white wine, still, I slip back to red and have no trouble polishing off a bottle of wine myself...

I know my partner sees it because he will subtly comment. He says stuff like, "why not go alcohol free for a week"...even my son sees things...

I do not come from a family of alcoholics, however, I was married to a man who was a progressive alcoholic. It ruined us and I ended the relationship after 13 years. I could not keep on any more living in an emotionally unstable environment and I could no longer expose my children to that way of life.

Funny, now I realize that I drank habitually and continue now even more.

I want to be able to control myself but it seems that I can not.

I hate what it does to me and I hate how I feel after but when evening rolls around and we have a nice meal, I think that I can just have that one glass of wine...appears that is not the case.

Any suggestions, because the cravings are strong or perhaps the ritual or habit is strong...

FMA, I think that is a great name by the way. There is nothing that we can tell you here that you dont know yourself. If you think you have a problem drinking you probably do. This is a great site to get to know what you do or dont want to do, to learn what is and what isnt true about yourself. You can read about meds and supps, you can chat with people at all stages of the game who will help you through good times and bad. There is a drink tracker on this site where you can track your drinks. I think that might be a good place to start. See how much you are actually drinking. We are here for you and believe it or not we understand what you are going through (someone here has either gone through it or is going through it):welcome:

Comment

Thanks Cacky! It is 7am here in Vancouver,BC and so quiet in my house.
      I am grateful I found this site because I really do not think at this time I need to go to AA, although some may say that is denial. Not sure about you but I find the evenings my most challenging time as that is when I feel like having a drink...I HAVE NEVER, had any urge to drink during the day or first thing in the morning. I do not have alcohol withdrawal persay, but the brain is tuned in to having those drinks at night...Last night, I had a beer, a glass of wine, a shot of tequila...there was no wine left in the house or I may have had more...I wish I knew what to do when those cravings hit! Any suggestions? Oh, and I too have children whom I adore, I would like to think I am a great mom.
      Question, I love the photo, is that really you!
      Thanks again for responding...I will tell my story, at some point.
      FMA

Comment

FMA, :welcome:

You've come to a great place, as Cacky has said. Hang around, read lots and post your own threads and messages.

Be strong!

Tip
        I'll do whatever it takes
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Thanks , I appreciate the encouragement. I have no problem in the day time, just after dinner...that is when I need to be real strong! FMA

Comment

I am also an after-work drinker (used to be a bottle of vodka and a bottle of red) and all-weekend binger. The other members here have given me good tools to combat the nighttime cravings:

- change your habits, even a little at a time (I identify 1 activity per day that helps me not to drink when I get home)
            - find something that helps a little with the craving (something nice to eat, some tea, water with lemon) etc. etc.
            I'll do whatever it takes
            AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
            X