Knowing I can't have it is making me want it more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I decided this morning after another hangover that I was going to go AF, again. Well, just a few hours later and I'm already having cravings. I never have cravings during the day at work. This is just sick. I'm already having cravings during the day b/c I've told myself I can't have any tonight. faaaahck.

first thing I'm going to do after work is go to the store and get some L Glut, since I've read on here it really helps.

here's hoping.
    Sobriety Is Wasted On The Sober

Hi there, Roamer. I used L-glut and it really took the edge off. You might also want to think of other things to "sip" .. tea, lemon water, etc. I'm currently "into" hot chamomile tea with a squeeze of lemon .. it tastes yummy plus it has real relaxing/calming qualities.

I totally understand the "wanting" when you "can't have" ... I fought with myself a lot with that one. I decided to change the way I think .... Because the truth is I CAN have it. So can you. BUT, I don't want to have it for so many reasons, and I'm choosing not to have it. I'm in control.

Hang in there .. The first bunch of days are the hardest .. then it gets easier .. but it will take awhile to change our thinking patterns, daily habits, etc.... I'm doing it baby-step style .. a little change here, a little change there.

You can do this. You're going to do it!
    AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Yeah roamer.. do it for your body.. I am barely tapering off myself but I feel so much better already. My clarity of thought is improving as are my workouts. Try to see how long you can go AF. Like Cat said, find a substitute. I love my beers, so ginger ale makes a nice substitute. Plus it helped my stomach when I was queasy in the beginning.

Comment

Roamer,

42Cat has it right.

If you think of it as deprivation, you will be miserable.

If you think of it as freedom, you will have a different take on it.

You can do it. If I can do it, anybody can do it.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

freedom instead of deprivation.....I like that.

Comment

well cat and cinders what mind blowing concepts - freedom and choice. Thank you for reframing things. I am truly grateful for your posts. They have really made me think.
            Sooty

Comment

Use the supps, Roamer. They do help. Try to change your thoughts when you get the cravings and do something different to pass the time. The cravings do pass after a bit and it is sooooo worth it.

winefree

And yes, I like the freedom and choice ideas as well. Good thinking.

Comment

Hi there

Just come back on to the site after being really bad the lst few weeks and not trying to moderate or anything. Got a bad hangover today after being the only drunk one at a work do last night - cringe!!!

Making the choice to not drink alcohol and freedom instead of deprivation - how inspiring, thank you.

:thanks:

Comment

Hi Roamer,
                  The cravings are bad, but the supps do help a lot. Reading here, posting, and reading more has also helped me from slipping up too much. Good luck to you,
                  Tulipe
                  Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                  AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Hey Roamer,
                    I just want to encourage you. dont drink it
                    I read this book that said that alcohol has a lot of sugar in it and a big part of the craving thing is actually from sugar withdrawl. They said to try milk and honey. I drink sleepy time tea and eat a couple of cookies every night. I feel like its a treat and I can deal with it.
                    Also the first night AF I slept so well I couldnt believe it.
                    You Can Do It!!

Sparrow

Comment

ya, depending on the liquor it has sugar, but the thing is, your liver processes the alcohol as sugar, that's why they're so close. I'm also doing low carb, so no cookies for me, but I am doing the L Glut and chamomile tea and it's working great so far.

thanks everybody

Comment

Sounds like a great start, Roamer .... Please post back as things are going along. Looking forward to your posts!

Comment

ok, well I have to come clean. Yesterday was like a planned stop in a NASA shuttle countdown. you know how they count down to launch from a couple days out, with planned stops in the countdown? no? well, hear me out....

I do bike hashes, we meet every 2 weeks and basically what happens is you've got 2 hares that lay trail and host the event, and then the pack of hounds that chase after the hares. At the end there's junkfood and beer, and stupid songs and whatnot. Well, yesterday I had already signed up to be a hare so of course I drank lots of beer yesterday.

However, I did not drink when I got home, and I am not going to drink this week. so, technically I am not on day 4 of being sober, but I'm going to call it that b/c I did not drink myself into a stupor last night to go to bed. That's my M.O., is to have the couple drinks at night to kill the day. No more.

So, I'm still going to hash, but I'm no longer going to drink all day just b/c or drink myself to sleep at night. In the future I may cut back on the drinking at the hash, but yesterday I let myself go. Hopefully that doesn't sound too much like rationalizing, but it was a planned thing, and I don't think I would've been able to abstain anyway. btw, the rides are regularly between 15-20 miles on and off road.

day 4 here I come. maybe I should say "night" 4 instead of day 4.

Comment

Hey Roamer, sounds like you are in the process of "taking control" ... That's exactly how it has worked for me. I decided to take control and things have changed so much in the past 4 weeks. Even though I still allow myself a beer or two here and there (under VERY strict rules for myself), it's a FAR cry from the fifth of hard liquor every day, morning to night, that used to be my life.

Keep the control! You may decide you want to change things up even more as you go along. But control, for me, was one of the major keys to doing this.

P.s.... I never heard of a hash before. I must google. It's fun learning new things.

Take care!

Comment

Roamer - hang in there!

We're all rooting for you.
                              I'll do whatever it takes
                              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
                              X