What do I do if I don't drink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't stand the anxiety and depression - it is driving me crazy. Have to stop again or am going to lose everything if I haven't already. Constantly think about it - need something to stop feeling sooooooooooooooooooooo anxious. Just want a normal life back please. Can you guys help, I know I have been here again and again....
    AF since 26 August 2009- and loving it!!

Hi Luba
    Have you tried taking anything for the cravings, l-glut works a treat and its all herbal.
    You will get your life back again, you just have to think positive, I know it can be hard but if you really want something in life then go for it.
    There are lots of support here, I have just started the weekend thread (although a little late) but there is also the next day thread in the discussion section and we all help each other there and you also get to have a laugh as well so that an added bonus.
    What helps me is that I keep very busy I am only on day 4 A/F at the moment I did do 30 days then tried to mod. but I ended up going back to my old ways, so if I can do it im sure anyone can.
    I hope this has been some use to you, please come and see us in the next day thread its for people like us who live on the other side of the world in a different time zone
    Take care darling
    Love ronnie xx
    :dancin: enguin:
    starting over

Comment

What do I do if I don't drink ?............You begin to live ! We all can help each other. Welcome Luba...IAD.
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi Luba-

I agree about the supplements, especially the L-glut. Also, the last time I was in your position I went and got acupuncture for anxiety and it really, really helped. But the most important thing is that you know that alcohol is either the real cause of your anxiety or it is exacerbating the condition. I have been there so I can sympathize:l
        Liath

Comment

Luba,

I really feel for you!
          I was a victim of crippling anxiety too, I thought it was going to kill me one way or the other. What helped me tremendously is an herbal product called Amoryn. It really helped me get a grip on the anxiety so that I was able to quit drinking without a big problem. I buy it directly from their website and I know they do ship to Australia. Please feel free to PM me if you like.
          I am a very changed person these days - you can be too!
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I am thinking of AL to. I have enough for one small draft of beer. But I know better. I would just then go drink the rest of the beer (my mom's) and then feel bad. Plus I quit and that means no more AL period.
            I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Luba...I'm right there with you. Along with all of the other suggestions, will add this one, as this is what I'm trying to do.

"Stay busy, stay busy, stay busy"

It's funny how used our bodies get to AL for sustainment.
              This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

My first minutes and hours of "what do I do if I'm not drinking" were filled with .... stuff. Not necessarily what I wanted my life to be like, but just "stuff" to fill in the time until I got through the first bunch of days .. and then on to some more normal thinking and planning.

Stuff .... Like .... I threw my shoes on and walked around the block (5-10 minutes) so many times ... Jeez, the neighbors must have wondered - but I didn't care. I also cleaned. Did the dishes, cleaned out a junk drawer, sorted through clothes. I read the newspaper and did the puzzles on the comics page. Oddly enough, I NEVER read the comics. Ever. Not sure why. I'll be they're funny and I'm missing out - lol.

I made plans for those hours of the day/evening that I'd normally be sneaking drinks and building up my buzz. Little by little. I added chamomile tea with a squirt of lemon. I added a hand-weight routine while I was watching TV. I added doing my toenails, or taking a bath, etc. Little things .. different things.

Take it in baby-steps. Try something, let it work (or if it doesn't, try something else) ... and then add onto it.

But don't worry about what to do in "life" .... That part will happen as it happens, with input from a sober you ..... Right now, concentrate on fighting AL.

((( happy vibes to you! )))
                AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Thanks to you all - I have made it though day 3 so far and am feeling confident about tonite. You guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  AF since 26 August 2009- and loving it!!

Comment

Hello Luba!

Great going on the 3 days! Strength and everything of the best for you!:goodjob:

You can do anyhting you want now, AL is the limiting factor and you should be asking "What do I do if I drink". You will notice the grey mist will lift and reveal to you a whole bright new world!

Keep posting and letting us know your progress!

Best,

Grim
                    'Tis with our judgements as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own - Alexander Pope

Comment

hi luba
                      welcome, I have a suggestion, enjoy some food. Im not saying go crazy gorging yourself on junk or anything, but Im amazed at how much I wasnt eating because of the alcohol calories. I actially eat dinner now. Yesterday I took my son out for icecream and ate the icecream. Im on day 23 AF and Im starting to wonder why I ever started drinking in the first place. I just hope I dont forget and go back. Good luck you can do this and you'll be glad you did.Please read and post we are interested in your suggestions too!

Sparrow

Comment

Sparrow, that is good advice. I can not tell you the number of times I have skipped meals or simply forgotten to eat the entire day because I was drinking. Then when I would try to stop finally, I would be so nauseous that I could hardly keep anything down. I really enjoy the simple act of preparing food and eating it now that my life is not so ugly.

Last day out of control. 6/21/2009
                        Liath

Comment

Sparrow, Liath, I agree totally!

One of the keys in MWO is the use of supps and vitamins etc. but what about the beautiful food that you can make that can only augment and support your healing process.

I personally have gone on a veggie binge since going AF but Luba, that may not float your boat so find whatever works for you! It may seem like an effort but go and get a nice cook book or find some GREAT recipes on the web or on this very site.

Do you know why you should try this? Because you are worth it!!!!!
                          'Tis with our judgements as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own - Alexander Pope

Comment

Since I've been sober, I've really gotten into food ... looking up recipes, trying some new things ... (not calling my husband at the end of his workday to say I'd just gotten home and didn't have a chance to make anything ... Translation: no energy or desire to make anything due to drinking).

Here's to food!
                            AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                            X