Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why

This is my list, that i wrote back in March 2007 as to Why I Want to Quit / Moderate My Drinking:

I want to be in control, not controlled
    I want my health to improve
    I want my looks to improve
    I want my mental wellbeing to improve
    I hate feeling like shit the next day
    I'm spending too much money on alcohol
    I'm embarassed about my behaviour when i'm drunk
    I have a yellowish tinge to my eyes which i hate
    I'm worry those who care about me, and myself
    There's more to life than booze and being pissed
    Me and drunk me are two completely different people

That was written more than two years ago and it all still stands - just thought i'd share

Why

Thanks for sharing Ellabella - each and every one those points hits home. Keep up the good work!
    AF since July 8, 2009...

Comment

Why

can add more?
      - I want to gain back my self respect
      - I want to stop a disease that is PROGRESSIVE
      - I want to remember what I did, watched on TV, whom I called and what I said the night before
      - I want to accomplish my goals, which is not possible with only half a brain
      - I want a freedom of saying - No, thank you, I do not want a drink
      "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Why

Fabulous. The one I've been saying all day:

I don't want to be "a drunk"

Comment

Why

Yes. Being a drunk is so demoralizing. How embarassing that my boyfriend won't usually go out with me (to bars that is) because I might get obnoxiously drunk and stir up trouble. I hope and pray that those days are behind me. Good luck.
          Liath

Comment

Why

I read "the Functional Alcoholic" on the articles here and looked in a mirror. One of the lines was "her colleagues notice, but don't say anything to her. They do to each other."

I don't want my colleagues to see me as a drunk - however competent inspite of it. And I have been drunk at staff parties, dinner parties....

Comment

Why

Oh, I never want to go to these days... Two more reasons
              - I do never want to second guess if people know how much I drink
              - I do not want to walk around with a dark cloud of shame over my head
              "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
              Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Why

I want to add some as well so here is my list.

1. Sure I will have fun now, but I will feel guilty and think of you all.
                2. Hangover in the morning and I have to work tomorrow through it.
                3. I would have to start over at day 1.
                4. I may turn into a big crybaby.
                5. Its hot outside.
                6. No Special Occaison.
                7. Will not aid into my quit.
                8. Aganst my faith.
                9. I will hate myself for caving in.
                10. Why should I drink when being sober is so much funner.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Why

Excellent - thanks you guys for adding they ring true for me too! - so many good reasons to quit, so whats the reason i keep slipping - (or have in the past at least - i'm hoping this will be different) - is it complacency - thinking, oh i did so well after 2 af days, its friday, i deserve it - why do i deserve to poison myself and make myself feel like shit - i'm not a bad person!

Comment

Why

Ellabella what is working for me is the whole 'reward' thinking. Let me explain if I may, I used to think hey its fri I have had a bad/good/hard/easy day (delete as applicable) why dont I reward myself with a drink, I deserve it. Well you know what, now I reward myself now by not drinking. When I look at what AL has done to my life in so many negative ways why would I think I was rewarding myself by continuing down that path. The reward now is in not ending up feeling the way I used to the next morning, hungover and full of regret, shame, not remembering what I did or said etc etc..... I hope this makes some sense to you.
                    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Why

Ella, that's great 2 days Whoo Hoo. There are so many good reasons to stay sober.

Comment

Why

Dancing Girl, you bring up a good point. Even though people may not confront us on our drinking...they know. For heaven's sake, even I can spot my commrades in the battle...even though I don't say anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X