What do you drink instead of alcohol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having been a undercover drinker for a few years - wine the devil of choice - followed swiftly by sharing a can (or 3) of coke out with the kids - mine being topped up with brandy, rum, whisky - whatever was in the cupboard - chasing that high as fast as possible.
    I am trying to moderate - Hubby drinks and the few times I have asked for his help he said I don't have a problem, so I am facing this on my own. Today is Friday - Since Monday I have had 3 cans of beer, my usual by now would have been 6 bottles of wine - 1 and 1/2 per evening, and even if I don't start til late I can drink a bottle in half an hour - disgusting!
    My issue is - what on earth do I do. Last night I drank 7 cups of tea. I am so used to having a drink in hand that I am lost. I have bought detox drinks and green tea but I am drinking those during the day. Does anyone have a solution - or a suggestion of what else is nice. - I have even tried alcohol free fizzy grape juice but it just makes me want wine.
    Also - what problems/symptoms did you have due to alcohol... I have really itchy flaky scalp that I know from past experience improves when I dont drink as much.

I think thats enough for a first post.
    xx:new:

Hi & welcome Uninspired
    This site is great and you will get loads of support here
    Have you tried lemonade with a little bit of lemon juice added its really refreshing
    :dancin: enguin:
    starting over

Comment

Hi Uninspired and welcome (i feel weird saying that as i'm a newbie myself - only joined yesterday :new - already though i've found this site amazing - so many supportive, kind people and so many valuable tips and advice. Its good to know you're not on your own.

You've done really well so far this week and obviously cut down massively on your normal booze intake.

How about peppermint (or any fruit / herbal teas) - fruit squashes / cordials etc.

Best of luck with everything - Ella xx

Comment

Hi there Uninspired!
        I drink water with a dash of fresh lemon juice as it is nice and sharp, also lime and soda water.
        I had quite a few problems due to alcohol, mainly depression, mood swings, tired and felt sick all the time.
        I am finding life so much better sober.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

:welcome:, uninspired

First of all, I think you should ask for your name to be changed to something more positive, that either refelcts something you like about your own personality, or that reflects the goals you have set for yourself.

Secondly, you need to work on a plan that you think will work for you. I have found it helpful to deliberately change old habits and patterns that we have built up around AL. Walks, PC games, TV, whatever will distract you. Set a daily goal and post it here, if you want - it helps to write down your goals!

Also do a lot of reading on this site - an enormous amount of useful information is available.

Finally, keep on posting, and feel free to ask for help / support - lots of wonderful people here!

Good luck on your journey.

Tip
          I'll do whatever it takes
          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

I am with Ronnie, Lemonade ( 0 cals!) + orange juice, lemon juice, anything, it fills you up. Don't get too hungry, the lemonade helps with that, good luck!
            ps I agree with Tip, change your name!!

Comment

:welcome: Uninspired

I also am new here and have found great support from wonderful caring people. At the moment I am AF 11 days - before that I was like you drinking at least a bottle of wine a day (sometimes on my own, how sad is that) Maybe trying some fresh tonic, in a nice glass, with ice and lemon or lime segments and imagine it's a gin and tonic, have to say that helped me a lot, as I just cannot sip drinks , so it was great to be able to gulp and not feel guilty. (Not sure maybe the advice about imagining it's gin and tonic is not good advice, but it works for me)

Good luck and keep posting, it helps greatly.
              ------------------------------
              one hour at a time

Comment

I have a new passion
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_j3ThSg068[/video]]YouTube - Teaposy - Blooming Teas
                Not only is this delicious but it is like getting a GIFT of flowers in every pot ...Who wouldn't LOVE THAT ???
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I like fruit juices and cordials, pineapple, pear, mango, but topped up with fizzy water,and Virgin Bloody Mary's. I started off using a wine glass, but now I use my own 'special' glass - sort of cocktaily but not in a martini kind of way? I will quite often have a hot chocolate before bed, I think it helps when you're missing the habit or routine of drinking AL to sleep.

Bets
                  Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

I have to agree with others who said Lemon anything. I usually drink water w/lemon when out, but at home I like either Tropicana or Minute Maid (2 Liter bottles) of Lemonade. It's non-fizzy and not too sweet, a bit tangy... I bought pre-made lemonade in half-gallon bottle the other day from grocery store - and that was also very good!

Not sure why lemon is so good. It quenches thirst and tastes good!
                    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Hi there, and nice to meet you. I was an all-day drinker and I am finding chamomile tea with a squirt of lemon to be a really nice daily "drink". I use a chamomile "blend", as plain chamomile tastes too appley to me.

Besides replacing booze with another type of drink, I also think it's important to replace your drinking time(s) with other things to do - habit changes, as Tip mentioned. I've been doing the same and it's been working wonderfully for over a month (except for Wednesday, but I've put that little stumble behind me).

I'm also trying to change my "thinking" away from ... "What should I do instead of wanting/having a drink?" (those types of thoughts are completely focussed on alcohol, although they are definitely important in the beginning as you figure things out). I'm now trying to focus on thinking less about alcohol, or lack of it, and more on lifestyle, happiness, ME and, of course, my family, etc.

Change takes time, but I've already noticed that some things are really starting to stick.

Great to meet you. There's so much to read and learn here. Hope to see lots of you as you find your strategies to have a booze-free life!
                      AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

I make decaf ice tea. One is regular with a little spearmint in it and the other is a green tea brewed with slices of ginger root. I sweeten both with a little agave nectar. Soemtimes add a lemon verbena sprig when I drink it. I also like seltzer water with fresh lime. In cooler weather I drink lots of hot tea.
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Well being the obsessive compulsive person that I am ...........
                          I will again recommend my newest passion...Tastes Great, smells wonderful and all the beauty of a bouquet of flowers
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnH3EAES8_8[/video]]YouTube - Blooming Tea Flowering Teas
                          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

To Uninspired..my problem is the same as yours 1.5 to two bottles of wine a day..and what can we do about it. I don't know just yet, but I am going to give it my best shot. I have just ordered the book My Way Out. I decided to buy it rather than download for free so that the Author gets a financial benefit. I am also considering a supplement to help with the cravings. Can anyone advise a good one to start...how about Kudzu ?

Comment

Timpin, may i just jump in here?
                              Lglutamine is a fantastic supplement for cravings. I take 5000grams (about 1 tsp) in the morning and again in the afternoon. if cravings are bad you can put the powder directly under your tongue.
                              Kudzu is also great for cravings too.
                              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X