When do you feel better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you feel better?

My drinking has gotten a lot worse over the last few months since my 14 year old son went to live with his Dad. I feel so lost. I really want to stop now, because the drinking is making my sadness about this worse. I have tried to cut down on my drinking before. When ever I do, I go for a couple of days, sometimes a week or two, but I never start feeling good physically. How long does it take to start to feel good again? Thanks for any help you can give me.
    It's personal, myself and I, we've got some straightening out to do. And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket but I've got to get a move on with my life.
    It's time to be a big girl now....

When do you feel better?

I started to feel better physically after the withdrawals went away, but I also started a habit of walking once or twice a day, adding to it and doing other active things, eating better foods, taking vitamins and other supplements, drinking a lot of water, etc. I think that all really helped me along physically. The stuff we put into our bodies, and the stuff we do with our bodies, really make a difference.

Maybe try adding something "new" to your usual schedule, or change it up a bit, and see where that takes you physically.

Sorry you're feeling sad about your son moving out. I can imagine how difficult that must be. I hope you have (or will have) a good relationship with him no matter where he is. ((hugs)) to you.
    AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

When do you feel better?

I think this is on an individual basis. For me, I usually start feeling physically well after maybe a couple of weeks, but mentally I just go downhill with depression. This is what drives me back to the drink.

At any rate, I think it depends on the length of drinking, how much one has been drinking and one's own health. Some people bounce back quickly and others say 90 days or so.
      ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

When do you feel better?

Thanks 42cat and Changed. I used to love to exercise, I just haven't been able to get off my butt to do it. I think that is a good suggestion and I will try it. I can relate to the depression part. I get so down sometimes that even taking a supplement seems like too much work. My other problem is that my husband has a problem with drinking too and I slip back into bad habits more easily with him around.
        It's personal, myself and I, we've got some straightening out to do. And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket but I've got to get a move on with my life.

Comment

When do you feel better?

Ironic, but it's when I start to feel good again that I go back to it. Just one more time won't hurt - that's everytime!

Comment

When do you feel better?

That also happens a little with me. After a couple or days or a week or so I start to feel a little better and then my husband says let's go out and do something and he always means lets go do something with alcohol involved and then I slip right back into my bad habits. I wonder how you start to replace all of the drinking activities with new ones and how you keep it going.

Comment

When do you feel better?

Hiya IKIT.
              Making changes is hard. I felt quite lost for a while. But I found that changing my routine, adding something new in here and there and also keeping fresh in my mind WHY i no longer wanted to drink. Maybe writing down your reasons in graphic detail might help keep you on the straight and narrow?
              Exercise I am finding is key to my recovery.
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

When do you feel better?

IKnowItsTrue;664169 wrote: I wonder how you start to replace all of the drinking activities with new ones and how you keep it going.
                For me, little by little by little by little. It adds up nicely.

Ditto everything StartingOver said.
                AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                X