just a theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a theory

I enjoy drinking wine at night but want to cut down. I enjoy drinking a light white wine. I wonder if I only allow myself a dark heavy wine that I don't enjoy if I would want to drink less? Has anyone ever tried this theory?

just a theory

Hi Cheche. A big welcome to you!!
    Yes I have tried drinking drinks I dont enjoy. It doesnt make any difference because I am not drinking for the taste I am drinking for the effect.
    What are you drinking for?
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

just a theory

You've got a point. I have a hard time sleeping if I don't drink. I stay up all night tossing and turning. Sleeping pills don't help. So I've used alcohol to sleep. The problem is I've used this method so long that it takes more and more to achieve this. Need to find some other way to sleep before it gets worse.

Comment

just a theory

Yes, a lot of people have sleep issues that they use alcohol for. But did you know that it can actually cause sleep problems? Many find that when they have been sober for a while their sleep improves immensely.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

just a theory

cheche,

:welcome:

Lack of sleep probably has led quite a few down this hellish path.

Unfortunately, alcohol will help you get drowsy, BUT, the sleep you achieve is not sleep at all. Don't you notice you wake up about the time you sober up?

The sleep problems are bad for all of us when we first quit.

Many take Melatonin to help, others here take different homeopathic sleep aids. I know Melatonin helps me a bit but I take Trazedone when it is really bad. However, Trazedone is a prescription pill. I only take it prn because like all strong sleep aids, I do wake up fuzzy headed and drowsy the next morning. However, it is better than hungover.

Yes, it is a viscious cycle. I hope you can figure out how to break it because alcohol will ultimately take you down.

Cindi

Oh, and I never met an alcoholic beverage I didn't like.
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

just a theory

thankyou for the advice. I think I'll try the melatonin. Hopefully that will help. I'll let you know. Just worried this habit of mine has become an addiction.

Comment

just a theory

Cheche, I tested that hypothesis (drink heavy red wine instead of the light white I usually enjoy) in-depth, over time, with many variables. Trust me when I say that it did work -- but only for a time. Eventually, I began to drink more and more of the red wine, even though I never developed the same taste for it as the whites.

Cinders and Starts are SO right about the vicious sleep cycle. Like you, i also used wine to get to sleep at night. It seemed that my stress level was so high and my thoughts rushed at such a great speed when I tried to get quiet in the evening that drinking the AL until I felt "sleepy" was the only way. But if you're doing this, then you are absolutely not sleeping as well as you could. Drinking disrupts your sleep cycle and rhythms. If it hasn't already happened, eventually you'll reach the point where (after drinking) you can almost count on waking up at least once or twice every night and then trying to get back to sleep. One of the things that amazed me most in the first week without AL was that I slept all the way through the night. When I woke up and it was morning, I couldn't believe it.

Good luck with your experimentation! I hope you find what works for you!
              "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

just a theory

Hi there. Nice to meet you.

When it comes to wanting that buzz, I'll drink anything. Years ago, I was home alone, it was late, and I was out of booze (rum being my drink of choice). I went to the garage, to the empty beer bottles that were waiting to go to the recycling depot, and emptied the "drippings" from each of them into a glass. It didn't even occur to me that some of it might be mouldy, having been sitting there for some time. Good thing it was late and I was ready to zombie off to sleep.

I dislike wine, especially red wine, but wine was all that was available at a function I was at last year ... I must have drank two bottles worth.

Sleep is one of the main reasons I started drinking in the evening ... or maybe it was one of the main reasons I continued drinking in the evening ... (long before I was an all-day drinker). As someone else mentioned, you tend to wake up mid-night (for me, it's usually 2:00 or 3:00 a.m.) and can't get back to sleep, head racing with thoughts, anxiety creeping in, etc. Bleh.

I sleep soooooo much better sober. And even when I can't get to sleep right away, the next morning/day is still so much better than if I had been drinking.
                AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

just a theory

You hit the nail on the head LilBit! I'm such a night person that I get restless and don't know what to do with myself at night. And if I try to go to bed at a reasonable hour at night after no wine I'll just toss and turn and feel miserable all night and the next day. Drinking the wine gives me something to do and calms me down and also makes me sleepy. Seems like a win win situation except some nights are good and some nights I drink too much. Obviously I am losing control of the situation. Is there a way I can learn to moderate this or does one have to just quit. Or is there a good alternative?

Comment

just a theory

cheche- I suggest that you try acupuncture for the sleep issue. I went AF for a time and at first I felt terrible, couldn't sleep, etc.. One session with a GOOD acupuncturist and I actually started sleeping well. And I can tell you that insomnia has been an ongoing issue. I have tried Melatonin and it doesnt work for me. Over the counter sleep aids leave me feeling groggy half the day. There is a lot of good scientific information out there on the effect of alcohol on sleep. I suggest that you read up on it and you will see that AL completely F***s up your sleep patterns and could actually be the underlying cause of your distress. Everyone is different but I thought I'd share my experience and maybe help a little. Take care!
                    Liath

Comment

just a theory

cheche;665020 wrote: I enjoy drinking wine at night but want to cut down. I enjoy drinking a light white wine. I wonder if I only allow myself a dark heavy wine that I don't enjoy if I would want to drink less? Has anyone ever tried this theory?
                      The theory might work the first day but.....oh that slippery slope!
                      "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

just a theory

My two cents about the sleep thing: I try to stay awake as late as possible (at least 11 pm). I find if I allow myself to sleep earlier, I'll for sure wake in middle of night.

If I Really can't sleep, I've found taking a couple of Advil PM tablets really helps. I'll sleep all night. But I only do that if I've had a tough time for several nights... Don't want That to become a habit either!!

I know that the Advil is also for pain (headache or whatever), but it still works well even if I don't have a headache.
                        Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

just a theory

cheche;665084 wrote: Is there a way I can learn to moderate this or does one have to just quit. Or is there a good alternative?
                          It's different for everyone, Cheche. Moderating (modding) didn't work for me. Even a glass or two of wine can throw your sleep off. Why not try going without alcohol for a week and see what happens? The first few nights might be a little bumpy, but I bet many of your sleep issues will begin to resolve themselves by the end of the week.
                          "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

just a theory

Cheche
                            I am also a night owl and enjoy my late evenings very much. My energy is good, my head clear and I do my best thinking at night. However, we live in "a morning people" world and have to get up!
                            Wine worked for me as well, however, it does lead to dependency and the longer you relay on it, the more dependent you became. Cause and effect. There is not free lunch - you pay!

I try to watch my caffeine intake I try not to get myself hyped up at night. Intesnse movies are out, so is that very engaging novel, and no late nights phone calls. Soft music, CDs: meditation, chimes, ocean
                            waves are in. I develped a routine to wind myself down at night so thay my brain does not go on and on.
                            Sorry, if you want to get off wine, there is no immediate solution.
                            Good luck!
                            "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
                            Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

just a theory

Go for it

Cheche-
                              I forgot to mention, excersise! start working out.
                              Power walks, jogging 15 minutes, break a sweat.
                              It's a is a great stress releaser and your brain will
                              release chemicals that make you feel great(runner's high). Then you will
                              fall asleep easily because your whole system will be exhausted.
                              I run 3 times a week 30-40 minutes, in a graveyard.
                              It works if you work it.

Comment

Working...
                              X