withdrawls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

withdrawls

I have thought about trying to give up drinking in the evenings but I worry that alcohol has become more than just a habit by this point. How do you know you won't go into withdrawls when you stop drinking? I still have to go to work everyday so when is a good time to start? And what can be done for withdrawls. How does one know if they will go into withdrawl? Scary stuff!

withdrawls

cheche,

How much do you drink a day? (Be realistic )

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

withdrawls

Cheche, i agree with cinders..the first step is to find how much you drink. there is a drink tracker that you can use. i havent personally gone through withdrawls my self so i wouldnt be able to answer anything from there but there are alot of great people on this site that have.

Im bumping your post back up so that you can get the responses you need.

Comment

withdrawls

cheche everybody goes through different withdrawels, As has being said here it depends how much poison you put into your body,personally i got the mother of all hangovers/withdrawels,i dealt with it by just lying down & trying to drink lots of water,small walks with fresh air also helped & try to eat small nourishing foodincrease the above daily

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

withdrawls

Hi there, cheche. Nice to meet you. I think whether a person will go through withdrawals, and how they do if they do, has a lot to do with that person .. the amount they drink, perhaps their physical size, or maybe how often they drink, their food / water consumption, maybe even their activity level (?) ... I'm just thinking stuff up - I don't really know. But I do believe it has to do some of these things for sure.

How much do you drink .. and how often / when?
          AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

withdrawls

withdrawal

Hi Cheche-
            I put off quitting drinking for years because I was terrified my body would freak out.
            I quit on a Friday, so I had Saturday and Sunday to work it out and start Monday as Day 3.
            I felt I had the flu, my fingers were all numb, and I felt kinda weird all weekend but stayed
            really busy with outside planting the garden, setting a fence, waxing my wife's car, just stayed real busy.
            My head hurt (brain was crying out for AL) a few times, usually because I was Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.
            Remeber to eat a ton as the missing AL will give you low blood sugar which will make you feel low.
            I read that if you drink less than 12 ounces of AL a day, you should not have the worst withdrawals requiring medical attention.
            Though, if you are uncomfortable, talk to your doctor. Many people get through
            the first week with benzos to calm the nerves. Best of luck, You can do it. You can decide to not pick up a drink.
            Moo.

Comment

withdrawls

thanks for your answers. I drink nightly for 10 plus years. I'm trying to cut it back to a few glasses of wine a night but sometimes it can get out of hand and be a few bottles of wine. Then my husband won't talk to me all the next day. Anyway, I think I'll try to keep it minimal and eventually taper off. Appreciate your help.

Comment

withdrawls

Cheche, expect to have some shakiness, headaches, night sweats - that is the most common - I know people who have tapered off with beer which has helped with the withdrawal symptoms (like 4 beers day one, 3 day 2 etc) until you are down to none. 42 cat could probably share her experience with you as she successfully tapered off a quite severe habit.

Good luck and keep us posted!
                Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                :h

Comment

withdrawls

In all honesty you can't tell until you try it. However if you are not drinking all day, that's a sign you won't get any. Perhaps night sweats and increased anxiety for a week or so. Good rule of thumb is withdrawls/shakes generally by show 12 hours after your last drink. Nightsweats come later but are just unpleasant rather than dangerous.

So, if you try not drinking perhaps for one evening you should get an indication how it's going to be. For me I've only ever had them mildly (apart from earlier this year when I'd drunk nearly every day for 6 weeks), you stand up and your legs feel like jelly. Most people generally can tell and then you have the choice of the Dr or having a beer.

That's why I usually make a Dr's appointment for around 12 hours after my last drink. Then it's there if I need help.

Comment

withdrawls

Good call UK!
                    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                    :h

Comment

withdrawls

Hi Cheche

I would go with 42cat's regime of tapering...
                      I had been drinking steady for about a week,cider through the day and wine at night.I just stopped on the wednesday night and decided i wasn't going to buy anymore.On thursday morning i had a seizure (were your whole body trembles really violently and you break out into a sweat and you heart feels like it's going to pump out of your body,,,),this lasted about ten mins and truly was terrifying.I sweated profusely the rest of that day and that night.Y'day i was just a bit shaky and today i'm feeling okay physically but anxious and a bit depresssed.
                      If i had to do it again i would taper.Thursday was the worst wd i've ever experienced...
                      Just my 2c's worth
                      Good luck,and keep us posted..

:l
                      annie
                      xx
                      "Just when i was getting used to yesterday,along came today"
                      Bring it on!

Comment

withdrawls

anniemac;667457 wrote: I would go with 42cat's regime of tapering...
                        I had been drinking steady for about a week,cider through the day and wine at night.I just stopped on the wednesday night and decided i wasn't going to buy anymore.On thursday morning i had a seizure (were your whole body trembles really violently and you break out into a sweat and you heart feels like it's going to pump out of your body,,,),this lasted about ten mins and truly was terrifying.I sweated profusely the rest of that day and that night.Y'day i was just a bit shaky and today i'm feeling okay physically but anxious and a bit depresssed.
                        If i had to do it again i would taper.Thursday was the worst wd i've ever experienced...
                        Just my 2c's worth
                        Good luck,and keep us posted..

annie
                        xx
                        I think I had one of these seizures back in March. I just thought it was bad case of the shakes. It happened about 2 hours after I'd had my first librium, although I'd had a much milder one whilst in the consulting room with the Dr. I've also had fainting type fits before after heavy drinking as well as once in the supermarket when I was trying to pay for some more AL. Just presumed it was dehydration.

Often after a heavy session (I tend to absolutely hammer it down - like 3 bottles of red in 3 hours or 4 litres cider plus 1 bottle red) I get all shivery the next day. Is that withdrawl/seizure too?

Comment

withdrawls

Here is a link to a website that describes using beer to taper: How To Taper Off Alcohol
                          In another article on this website (HAMS - a site for alcohol reduction support) the symptoms and severity of alcohol withdrawal is discussed.
                          If you have a savvy doctor that you trust, going to him or her is the best strategy.
                          Best of luck - you can do this.
                          Drinking has been my hobby for several years now. It's time to get a new hobby

Comment

withdrawls

Ukblonde;667472 wrote: I think I had one of these seizures back in March. I just thought it was bad case of the shakes. It happened about 2 hours after I'd had my first librium, although I'd had a much milder one whilst in the consulting room with the Dr. I've also had fainting type fits before after heavy drinking as well as once in the supermarket when I was trying to pay for some more AL. Just presumed it was dehydration.

Often after a heavy session (I tend to absolutely hammer it down - like 3 bottles of red in 3 hours or 4 litres cider plus 1 bottle red) I get all shivery the next day. Is that withdrawl/seizure too?
                            I'm no expert ukblonde but yeah i'd say it probably was.I think if you have the shakes of any form the day after drinking it's your body's way of saying "i need more"
                            When you have a seizure your body has had a serious amount of alcohol to cope with.Then you know you've way overdone things.I have had the shakes for about 2 yrs nw.They have calmed down a little today.Hoping by 2moro day 4,they'l have eased altogether.
                            Have bought l-glut and kudzo so hope they kick in soon as my 5pm cider on a saturday is due....real soon...

"Just when i was getting used to yesterday,along came today"
                            Bring it on!

Comment

withdrawls

Anybody having withdrawal seizures should really get medical help, it's very dangerous to try to do it alone at this stage.

Comment

Working...
                              X