Seating with friends that drinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, it has been ten days AF and It is taking a toll on me. All my friends are drinking and having a good time. Tough for me to feel the vibes. Advices my dear friends? Thank you.

Hi Keyners,
    Think about it, are your friends really having a good time?? Why? You know as well as I do that the only good that comes from AL is the feeling you get from that frist drink.It wears off after half an hour and you spend the rest of the time chashing that first drink high. And at what cost? Hangovers, haedaches, wasetd money, extra calaries, DUIs? Its a fake it won't help you and it;s not helping them!!
    Good Luck!!
    Sparrow

Comment

You are right. Thanks.

Comment

Keyners
        Just think that in the morning it will be YOU enjoying yourself and they will be feeling like sh*t, you dont need a drink to enjoy yourself, I must admit I get enjoyment in seeing my friends get drunk and no-ing that used to be me but alot worse...........
        :dancin: enguin:
        starting over

Comment

Hi Keyners

I know how you are feeling, everyone else is having a ball except for poor old me.

We need to change our thinking. Instead of feeling deprived and resentful that we are missing out we should be grateful and happy that we will wake up sober and with a great day ahead of us.

Well done on the 10 days! Don't blow it now....think about the positive changes in your life since you went AF. It's usual to start wanting to drink again once the worse of the hangovers/ withdrawal are over. Alcohol tricks us into thinking that we weren't so bad and just one drink couldn't possibly hurt. The thing is did you ever stop at one drink? I know I can't.
          If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

Comment

Hi Keyners firstly well done on your 10 Days AF. I have been out with some of my drinking buddies recently and I know it would have been very tough after 10 days. I thought I would miss out on all the fun and not fit in as well as when I was drinking. It turned out very different the first time I went. After feeling a little akward at first being the only one not pouring AL down my neck it was very soon forgotten. After a couple of hours I started seeing a picture of me when I was drunk, thinking blimey did I also start to speak very loudly and tell people the same thing 3 or 4 times. Did I knock over a glass or stagger into people. I drove the guys home that night and was up the next morning early and fresh as a daisy. I can honestly say I had a better time that night without AL.
            Keyners you can do it.
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hi keyners :goodjob: on the 10 days!!

It gets easier, especially (as blue sky pointed out) when you change the deprivation thinking. We are used to thinking that AL is a reward, something we deserve, a treat. And we now know it is anything but that. Keep it up and enjoy the real reward of good health and attitude. It really does get easier!
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hi Keyners,
                Congrats on 10 days! That is a real achievement. I agree that it is possible to have fun while you're not drinking, but I have to admit that I got pissed off at DH last night when he drank a half bottle, well more than a half bottle plus a healthy armagnac, and I had water with lemon, on a Monday night. Actually I cried. But I didn't want to tell him.
                Anyway, being drunk is not having a good time, that's for sure.
                Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Keyners - Bravo on the 10 days! I have to say that socially speaking I turned a corner after about 3 weeks, where going out and saying no stopped feeling tenuous. Now I don't even think twice about it, and neither does anybody else, it's become a non-issue for us all.

So chin up, it will get easier!

Comment

Keyners,

Rejoice in your new found freedom of being AF!! My God, it's a blessing, not a sentence, be happy
                    Ten days is great - keep it going, you will never regret it!!
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

ronnie;670130 wrote: Keyners
                      Just think that in the morning it will be YOU enjoying yourself and they will be feeling like sh*t, you dont need a drink to enjoy yourself, I must admit I get enjoyment in seeing my friends get drunk and no-ing that used to be me but alot worse...........
                      Complete thumbs up on this post. You'll wake up feeling refreshed and they'll be going "oh shit.."
                      I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Comment

Thank you dear friends. So far 3/4 of the day is good, and then the evenings suck bad, especially right now during my holidays at the beach as everybody is drinking and being wild. I will stay the course but must say that my evenings are boring compared to what I used to have before, drinking dancing and going wild. Oh well, I am getting the benefits of feeling good the next day I guess.

Comment

Keyners,
                          I wonder, if the music is good, if one can still dance wildly without AL. I think so. I hope so. I plan to. What do you think?
                          Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                          AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Keyners,
                            Well done for you at 10 days! I'm on my sixth. I have not been in public or with friends where there is alcohol since I decided to give it up. My hubby has a beer twice a week and that does not bother me at all because I never drank beer, only wine. Oh, so thankful he doesn't drink wine!!! In a few weeks I will be attending a birthday party for a realative and there will be alcohol there so it was interesting to read what others said about what their plan is when they are around alcohol. Their advice helped me and I'm sure will help you also. And.....I do believe that you can dance wildly without AL..I'm going to try it! Best to you, Keyners
                            Love
                            MNB
                            When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                            -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

keyners;670036 wrote: Man, it has been ten days AF and It is taking a toll on me. All my friends are drinking and having a good time. Tough for me to feel the vibes. Advices my dear friends? Thank you.
                              You're not missing much.
                              What's a night on the booze compared with a clear conscience and control of your own life.
                              I have had so many bad times drinking. I'm not going back there again.

Comment

Working...
                              X